Video Game Creepypasta: The Best, The Worst, and Everything in Between

Sure, it’s the day after Halloween, but every day is a good day to discuss amateur horror fiction on the internet. Creepypasta (a portmanteau of “creepy” an “copypasta”) has always had a place in my heart. Like a lot of horror fiction, these stories are often rooted in what the creators are close to. So naturally, as video games are such a big part of more and more people’s lives, it only makes sense that there would be a ton of creepypasta about video games. Whether it be the classic Cursed Majora’s Mask story, or the messy epic about NES Godzilla, there is a charm to them.

What are your favorites? Which stories enrapture you, give you goosebumps, legitimately scare you?

And what about that… other favorite? The kind that might not be high quality, particularly sensible or creepy, but you love it for that, rather than in spite of it?

And what about the art that is directly or indirectly inspired by it? Things like Petscop, Undertale fan work, or Cyberpets Graveyard give off the distinct vibe that a lot of video game creepy pasta has. What do you think, and what are some of your favorites?

What do these themes say to you? What do you think about all these stories play on, and what do you like or dislike about them?

Looking for reading material? Here’s the creepypasta wiki’s list on video game creepypasta!

4 Likes

My favorite Creepypasta is Missingno in Pokémon Gen 1 because that one was real. You could summon a real demon in that game’s screwed up code and it would give you boons. It also would steal your Elite 4 Victory. A game created its own creature out of junk data. Has that ever happened before or since?

All the others don’t impress me.

3 Likes

The Mario 64 “every copy is personalized” and Ocarina of Time “Aria apparition” from the iceberg images have had a refreshing amount of playfulness that I haven’t seen from the genre in years. Vinesauce’s creepypasta game stream last night was a sad reminder of how many of these got too ahead of themselves and dived right into gore, jump scares, and corny too-serious pathos. No Players Online was one of the most disappointing recent examples.

N64 and PS1 era games (especially licensed ones) were a goldmine of uncomfortable, alienating loneliness. I would have loved to see more of these exploit that atmosphere.

2 Likes