Making this topic is inspired by listening to the Ori and the Blind Forest soundtrack and being rather surprised when I got a bit teary-eyed while listening to it. It made me think about how there are many soundtracks or individual tracks that have more of an effect on me based on the memories I have from playing these games.
Some ones I have and emotions/states they trigger in me:
- Ori and the Blind Forest - Nostalgia, happiness, pleasant sadness. The art direction and music of the game blends in a way that makes me feel happy and sad at the same time while listening to it.
- Dustforce - It helps induce a focused flow state. This game was so hard and I don’t think I would have stuck with it as long as I did had the soundtrack helped soothe what would have otherwise been maddening frustration.
- FTL -This soundtrack brings back memories of wrapt attention. Sitting staring at what initially seemed like an unwinnable situation and finding a possible way out. I listen to Ben Prunty a lot while working.
- DOOM 2016 - RIP AND TEAR! This soundtrack gets me super pumped up. Great for working out or if I’m having a bad day to unleash some of my aggression and anger. Just visions of being a badass murdering demons.
- VVVVVV - This is similar to Dustforce except I got all but the one really hard achievement in VVVVVV. I also found the story unexpectedly compelling and was pleased at the story reward for gathering all the shiny trinkets. Another soundtrack I often put on while working to help get myself in the zone.
- Chrono Trigger - Man how much do I love this game. I don’t think there is a single more nostalgic soundtrack for me. It was the first JRPG I played to completion and the length and interconnectedness of the story was totally unexpected to me at the time. I assumed that the game would be over once we returned with Marle to 1000 AD. And again after the showdown with Magus. The fact that there was so much game and that the story kept me engaged was really remarkable for me at the time when the most story I’d had in a game before was the “Story” of the Sonic games.
- The Genesis Sonic games - Just good old nostalgia here. Really top quality stuff. Special shoutout to Mystic Cave Zone. Dat bass riff!