Was anyone else a little bummed out about Breath of the Wild's ending? (Obvious Spoilers!)

WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD.

[spoiler]I didn’t really have high expectations for this game, but jesus did it consume me. I was having dreams where I was solving shrines and I would try to hop off of cliffs and pull out a glider when playing other games. I spent more time exploring the world rather than doing shrines, but I finally got to a point where I felt ready to move onto another game (Yakuza and Persona were staring me down from my coffee table). So I went up to Hyrule Castle, did the song and dance of getting up the waterfall, and after getting the Hylian Shield, I ended up stumbling into the Ganon fight. I thought that this was just a preliminary fight or something, but no this was it. The cutscenes played out. I saved Zelda, and Hyrule was peaceful once again. Quickly I became excited about rushing back into Hyrule to see how the world had changed now that Ganon was gone, but nah. The game just goes back to the title screen, and you can reload your save from right before you fight Ganon.

REALLY?

This game spent so much time crafting a wonderful world that felt more alive than anything I had played in this past decade. It was so immersive and interesting, but then it just kinda drops the ball at the end. Even that boss fight felt really lacking. I fought Lyonels that were more trouble than effing Calamity Ganon. I still adore this game, don’t get me wrong. I just feel like it was this beautifully choreographed dance routine, but it didn’t stick the landing, and it’s still sitting a little sour in my stomach. Does anyone else feel like this??[/spoiler]

(Also sorry if this is super wordy).

Endings are hard :frowning:

I was pretty bummed with Hyrule Castle in general. It was a little too easy to cheese your way up to the top, and the Ganon fight was a bit simple. I had more problems fighting the Lynel mid-boss than Ganon.

I was only disappointed to the extent that I am always disappointed with game endings. All the things you’re looking for here in a post-Ganon Hyrule (Would new villages crop up? Dialogue change? If things flourish, how so? What do Zelda and Link plan to do next?) are the things I wish every game would at least try, but I can’t think of one I’ve played that’s done it. I wanted this most desperately in Fallout: New Vegas.

As for the Hyrule Castle itself, I thought it was one of the most rewarding exploration sections of the game. It’s the only time you’re exploring and learning about the world from interiors, and small things like reading the King’s diary and Zelda’s diary, the way the rooms connect and disconnect and the royal guard weapons you find there all made it feel like a last, fitting romp to Ganon. I wasn’t challenged by Ganon but loved his aesthetic design (That pink right before you murder him! It’s so pink! yes!). Usually that sort of thing would bother me, but for BotW I had been preparing for this fight for literally 140 hours. I was ready, and where I had a lot of fear in even basic enemy encounters early on, I faced Ganon feeling like the Hero of Time. I have never played a Zelda game where I inhabited that role so legitimately up to the very end.

BotW is a sparse game narratively though for sure, and I guess I was just okay with that from the beginning.

I never expected the game to let you loose on a post Ganon Hyrule so I can’t say I was disappointed. I thought it was a pretty good ending, on par with other Zelda endings anyway. Hyrule Castle was one of my favourite dungeons and made me wish the game had more traditional dungeons in it.

out of curiosity? did you collect all the memories? including the one that you don’t find out about until you collect the initial ones? because that gives you a small post credits scene that at gives you a bit of a picture of “what happens next” it’s nothing huge but it provides a bit of closure.

Yeah! And that gave me some semblance of closure, but it still left me feeling a little empty.

Witcher 3 is the only other game in the past few years that I got heavily invested in, and that game did the post-ending gameplay really well I thought. It planned on you going back into the world which is something I appreciated because that world was so rich and unique.

I didn’t have any issue with it at all. It’s about what I had thought that ending would be. And to me, Breath of the Wild was always about the journey to reach Ganon and not the expectation of some mind-blowing ending.

I was a bit disappointed by how easy Ganon was. I had much more trouble with the Zora boss than I did with the end boss.

It was… serviceable but I did feel basically the game world itself was the steal of the show. I have honestly always kinda felt like that about most Zelda games though.

My main issue was absolutely the inability to keep playing without loading a prior save. It always bugs me when games do that.

IIRC the reason given for Fallout: New Vegas doing that was there were so many variables re: what the Mojave could look like after you beat the game, it wasn’t feasible to have post-ending play. That’s…not really the case with BotW, but I imagine they wanted to focus on the world in crisis, rather than the world in relative peace.

I at least appreciate that the game autosaves you right before you enter the final boss chamber, even though I’m pretty sure that autosave dumped me in an entryway I didn’t use to get into the room?

I fully expect that Breath of the Wild’s DLC will address the “nothing changes about the world after Ganon is defeated” because I’m going to assume it picks up right from the post-credits scene. Otherwise, your save is will perpetually stay in a state of “Ganon is not yet beaten.”

I’ll echo what was said earlier in the thread about Ganon feeling too easy, but I also kind of feel like that’s more the game giving you the option to overpower yourself. The whole pitch of the game is making yourself strong for the final battle, and to that effect, I spent 140 hours powering Link up with every available buff on offer. I felt bummed out, but at the same time, it felt like a direct result of the power and the knowledge I’d given myself. After training 140 hours (350 in-game days), I should be nearly invincible, right? It makes sense to me.

I’d be lying if I wasn’t bummed out when the credits started to roll and it was just still images from the rest of the game, though. Some of my favorite parts of older Zelda games was flying around the world to see how all of the characters were celebrating at the very least, you know?

There was just no way the ending of that game could even come close to the hopes and dreams that gorgeous world had made me imagine.

I do hope the DLC picks up post-Ganon and lets you traverse Hyrule and see how things pan out, but I doubt it. I sort of expect the DLC to just be “in the past” before Zelda was in Ganon’s clutches and that’s why Link and Zelda can have an adventure together.

I thought the Ganon fight was alright, but what the fuck was up with that final section where you shoot the light bow at the weak points? What a dumb, anti-climactic thing they tacked on to try and make it feel like an epic second phase.

Welcome to literally most every final boss battle with Ganon in the entire series. The light arrows are key to finishing him off more often than not.

I thought the ending was great, really. I wasn’t expecting to be able to go back out and see the world post-Ganon’s defeat. The world is too big for that and I’d hate roaming a world devoid of enemies just to get canned, “Woo, Ganon’s dead!” commentary from all of the game’s NPCs. There’s no need for any of that because the story is over. Hyrule is freed from Ganon’s grip, Zelda is free to rebuild her kingdom and Link is there alongside her.

The experience of playing Breath of the Wild, to me, is much more about the journey to the end and not the expectation of an epic hour-long cutscene to follow Ganon’s death. I don’t need a playable post-Ganon to make any of that journey feel somehow worth it.

I agree with all of this. It’s never even really been an idea for me to want to play in the post-Ganon world until I heard Austin bring it up on the podcast.

But going back to light arrow thing, yeah obviously light arrows are involved in the final boss of most Zeldas, but normally there’s an element of…I don’t know… challenge? Shooting light arrows into the Giant Ganon beast thing is literally just “shoot the glowing points on the slow beast who has no hope of attacking you, much less killing you.” There was nothing to figure out. No problem to solve. No strategy to employ. No challenge to overcome. It’s just “shoot the thing.”

Granted, I’ve only beaten Link to the Past, Ocarina, Windwaker, and BotW, but this was easily the least satisfying ending, by far.

Tl;dr: The ending didn’t bother me because the ending of that game was not what that game was about for me.

The ending really didn’t bother me, apart from the fight being less than great, because (and good heavens me oh my this is bad cliche), but fighting Ganon and ending the game really wasn’t important to me in that game. Living in the world, journeying across the world and meeting people and solving their problems was what I loved. I also loved the memories, and thought they presented maybe my favorite Zelda story yet, with characters with some actual depth to them, especially Zelda who is unfortunately rarely a character at all, she was great in BotW.

My fiancee played the ending and I decided I didn’t want to. I want to explore all of the world’s richness before I end it, honestly. I was hoping I’d have more time in the castle afterwards to help the world rebuild itself but the fact that it just ends is really unfortunate.

The worst part of the ending, to me, was that there’s literally a piece of dialogue at the end that says “There’s still so much to do” (paraphrasing) which implies that the game will dump you back into the world Post-Ganon.

I was mostly ok with the ending (including the small extra scene that happens when you got all the memories)- with one admittedly tiny exception.

The first time I beat the game I had gotten all the memories, but hadn’t completed all the shrines. So when Zelda says “You may not yet be at a point where you have regained all your strength/memories” (Or something to that effect) I took that to mean that line might change if I go back and finish all the shrines.

But when I did go back and do all the shrines, and then defeated Ganon again, the line didn’t change. It just stuck out as something that seemed like an obvious hint from the game, telling the player “Hey you didn’t do everything, try again and come back-” so when it wasn’t, it felt…strange.

I felt that the ending was too clean. Like after 100 years Zelda was still alive with just enough power to hold Ganon. The fight was cool but not a struggle it should had been and oh here the light arrows again. Just too similar to past fights with Ganon.

I wouldn’t say that it was unsatisfying, but even games like A Link Between Worlds had a very telegraphed “Use the Light Arrows in this manner!” final boss.

What I did appreciate was that the Light Arrow portion of BotW’s Ganon fight was less tense than the main portion. I never did get around to mastering the shield reflect, and so for me, the second phase of the fight (where Ganon is constantly using super armor), was a lot of running around and waiting for cooldowns on Urbosa and Daruk’s powers to finish so that I could get in damage where I could. By the point the Light Arrows come into play, I was ready to just show Ganon who was boss.