'Wastelanders' Makes 'Fallout 76' the Best Fallout Bethesda Has Made

I pushed through the brush in the Savage Divide, a mountainous region bisecting wasted Appalachia, and came across a raider punk shouldering a backpack. I couldn’t see his eyes behind his welding goggles, but there was enthusiasm in his voice. He wanted to get out, see the world, and set up his radio to talk to other people. I asked if he’d like to set up his radio at my camp, but he declined.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/884w84/fallout-76-wastelanders-review-its-good-now
4 Likes

People get really emotionally attached to seeing dialogue options that their character can’t actually use, I guess.

2 Likes

I’ve been chipping away at it, and while I’m enjoying myself, I don’t know if I’m where Matt is yet. For one, you still have to play the main quest from the original game, and that quest is an unenjoyable clog IMO. I’ve had fun decorating my camp like a communist spy, thanks to my capitalist atom dollars. (I signed up for a month of Fallout 1st so I don’t have to deal with the crate limitations.)

The new quests have been… good, but simple. I settled a dispute between a raider group and a up and coming bar, but it wasn’t the caliber of some of New Vegas’ best quests.

I’m looking forward to going deeper tho!

1 Like

It’s kind of maddening to me how the LULTHESDA tubers continually obsess over a bunch of bullshit that either doesn’t matter or is purely subjective but Fallout 1st is something people were Very Angry about for like a week and now everyone is fine with it. They make you buy a subscription to have enough storage space to do the crafting thing that is the game’s core loop! This is kind of shitty!

I knew it was going to happen since nobody’s mad about ESO Plus for doing the same thing, but it’s just so frustrating what people choose to spend their clickbait anger points on.

2 Likes

I think they could have saved face if they had released Fallout 1st WITH Wastelanders, which I think was the plan.

Wastelanders got delayed, however, and well… We all know how that went.

1 Like

I’m so mad at this article for making Fallout 76 sound appealing to me.

3 Likes

Honestly, it’s fine? I only put maybe 10 hours into it on a free weekend, pre-Wastelanders, but it was a totally fine experience. I was playing other stuff and thus didn’t buy in at the time, but if I hadn’t been deep into Destiny 2 when the free weekend happened I probably would have bought it.

I’m someone who unironically enjoys all of Bethesda’s other modern RPGs, though, so YMMV I guess.

1 Like

What bothered me the most about it was the small micro delay on ALL of my actions. I felt like everything was chugging to catch up. Shot a guy, took an extra half a second for him to fall down. Looting a crate? There’s no way you can speedily go through crates like you did in Fallout 4.

It’s annoying, but you can get used to it I guess.

2 Likes

I’ve been looking into picking this up based on positive word of mouth, but what’s this about buying a subscription to have enough storage space to do crafting…?

How much BS nickel and diming and hidden costs are there in this game?

So, the basic mechanic of the crafting system is that you have a portable base called a C.A.M.P. The CAMP has a storage called the “Stash”, which is equivalent to the Workbench storage in Fallout 4 if you’ve played that. The Stash has a storage limit of 400 pounds. There might be ways of expanding that, I’m not sure. One of the Fallout 1st perks, though, is that you get a separate storage called the Scrapbox that only holds broken-down items (“scrap”) but has unlimited capacity. So it’s not like you can’t engage with crafting and camp-building without 1st – it was added like a year after launch, so early players didn’t have anything like the Scrapbox regardless of how much money they were willing to spend – but having 1st makes crafting a hell of a lot easier.

It’s exactly analogous to the way that Elder Scrolls Online works where you have a limited amount of bank storage but purchasing the subscription (“ESO Plus”) grants you a “crafting bag” that holds unlimited amounts of crafting items. Presumably, that’s where they got the idea. But crafting is a lot more central to 76 than to ESO, so I think it’s a bit worse.

There have also been a few other controversies like there’s a refrigerator you can only buy for Atom Points that extends the amount of time it takes your food to spoil – in a survival game – but 1st is the one that really sticks in my craw because it’s an ongoing expenditure.

The other one I recall was “the micro transaction shop is just for cosmetic items” then turning around and selling weapon repair kits in it.

1 Like

There are ways to repair your weapons by just looking around for junk, but the kits provide extra longevity I think.

I think it would only matter if you were going into PVP a lot, which I haven’t done at all.

1 Like

I don’t know about other but “you can’t experience everything and likely never will” isn’t really a selling point for me.

Fallout 76 is a genuine cultural artifact. It transcends its buggy janky flaws (and sometimes weak writing) into a true ‘art by committee’ masterpiece. It’s the most densely layered, atmospheric, complex and weirdest video game experiences I’ve ever had. It hits me in a way a great novel or piece of cinema does. It has genuine intellectual impact. I love it dearly. When, if ever, will the world come around to it?

1 Like

Why is the possibly sponsored account making me want to play Fallout 76

2 Likes

I’m not sponsored, ya goofy!

2 Likes

Get out of here, TODD

/s

1 Like

Less mad, more sad. Fallout 1st sounds like something that would annoy me as a choice to be funneled into rather than willingly chosen. I reckon that would tint the whole experience.

Also, I don’t visit here much but as soon as I read it I knew I had to log back on and see if any one had more experienced opinions about it.

My entire thing was that none of the things that Fallout 76 is doing are what i’m interested in. I don’t care about playing online or with other people, I want to play Fallout on my own. I’d have to pay more money for that experience in 76. Also since it’s a Bethesda game series now I like playing around with user-made modifications. That is also out of the question with 76 since it’s an online experience that needs to have a common ground baseline for all its players and that means no mods that aren’t client side. I also don’t like survival modes (hunger, thirst, sleep, those kinds of mechanics where you’re balancing multiple needs bars), and that’s the only way you can play Fallout 76.

This isn’t to say i’m grumpy about 76, i’m not really. It’s not for me and that’s cool not every game needs to be. I’m actually just replaying Fallout 4 now, closing in on 1000 hours in it, and that’s still fun.

I don’t really know where i’m going with this. I guess i’m hoping that 76 is a one-off side thing and they go back to the singleplayer experience down the road when they make another Fallout game. Otherwise that means the series is forever out of my area of interest and that’s a bit of a bummer.

1 Like

Same. A lot of what’s best about Bethesda’s RPGs are incompatible with a multiplayer game. You can’t have a suboptimal character build or kinda broken abilities and mechanics in a persistent online space. To me, most of the fundamental mechanics of 76 are unappealing so I don’t really care if the story is better.