Watch A City’s Politics Shift Through the Rear View Mirror of Your Cab in ‘Night Call’

Bit by bit, I realized I didn’t really know the character I was playing in Night Call. Its use of a second-person narration, the fact that occasionally I could influence what my cabbie-turned-detective said and did during his nightly rounds and investigations, tricked me into thinking that I was meant to see the story through his eyes. Then one of his passengers—a regular, the narration had told me—struck up a conversation with him and said a few things that made me realize the narrator was lying to me, and “my character” was nearly as much a stranger as the people he spent his nights ferrying around Paris. He is the most interesting mystery in a game whose detective-work is almost a misdirection.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/pajn5b/watch-a-citys-politics-shift-through-the-rear-view-mirror-of-your-cab-in-night-call

I just finished the first case. I liked it overall, though I agree the mystery itself wasn’t especially strong. I was frustrated that at the end I hit a fail state because I picked the suspect who the most evidence, by far, pointing towards them, only to be wrong. Then I picked the one I had a gut feeling about, despite having barely any evidence, and I was right. I also had to play through the final encounter with the killer multiple times to get it right, and I’m still not sure if I there’s a better way for it to resolve. In general the writing was decent, but very on-the-nose in places. I mostly liked it for the atmosphere and music.