'Wattam' Is a Children's Guide to Eco-Radicalism

Keita Takahashi’s games are always full of stuff. Playfully rendered and often crudely animated, the bright technicolor objects which populate the games he’s helped create have tended to function as fodder for the player to consume. 2004’s Katamari Damacy was about a tiny Prince rolling the world’s possessions into a gigantic ball while 2009’s Noby Noby Boy found a rainbow caterpillar ingesting everything from squawking chickens to wailing sumo wrestlers across randomly generated levels. You couldn’t move for all the human mess these worlds were cluttered up with. Despite Katamari’s dream-like, absurdist aesthetic, Takahashi offered a serious-minded meditation on consumerism and its impact on Earth’s planetary health. “I think I successfully expressed my cynical stance towards the consumption society,” he said in a 2009 Game Developers Conference talk. “But still I felt empty when the objects were gone."

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/y3mg4x/wattam-review
2 Likes