Waypoint 101 — Wolfenstein: The New Order [Spoilers Unleashed]

Any sense how long its going to be untill episode 1? I have save files at roughly halfway on both timelines. I was going to wait for the first podcast to finish them off but I don’t want to let them sit too long and forget a lot of the details.

Anyone think the game would suffer if I let playthroughs sit half unfinished for like 6-8 weeks?

I beat the game just a day ago (in preparation for this 101), but I remember my first impressions pretty strongly:

Is this game really difficult?

Sorta spoilers for campaign difficulty, but it’s also a decision you have to make at the start? I started on Normal and found the game to be pretty punishing. I turned it down to easy to have a more breezy time, but by the end of the campaign some of the combat arenas really ratchet up the difficulty; while not frequent, I’d place them around CoD Hardened on Wolf’s Easy.

Did I miss some crucial aspect to the combat? The stealth was fine, and any instance with Commanders was never a problem; it was only the sequences where you had to fight a room of dudes scripted aware of you.

Hey everyone,

I’ve got a few tips for making the difficulty feel less punishing. Most of you have probably already finished it, but if someone’s starting late or wants to replay the other timeline, these strategies will make your playthrough much easier.

I played through the game on its second-highest difficulty when it first released, and found myself hating the - seemingly - unfair combat, dying way too often. Then, earlier this year, I found myself in a nazi-punching mood, and decided to give it another go, this time on Uber so I could get the platinum. I went in with a completely different approach, and found most of this run a breeze to get through. Turns out, the game is actually very manageable, even on the highest difficulties, if you play it the way the game wants you to. It’s a dissappointingly inflexible system where you have to adapt to its rigid expectations or suffer greatly. Think of it as clunky meta-commentary on fascism, if you will.

Anyways, here are the most important things you need to keep in mind to be an effective nazi-killer:

General playstyle: I know that dual wielding shotguns is extremely badass, but you will benefit greatly from using a single-wield approach for most of the game. For one, you can be more accurate due to the availability of down-the-sights aiming. But more importantly, single-wield allows you to shoot from cover: when you stand behind a wall or large object, you will see a white arrow appear if you approach one of its edges. When you see the arrow, holding down L2/LT/whatever your aim button is, you will pop out of cover until you release the aim button. In this cover-aiming mode, you take significantly decreased damage. It’s hard to get into this mindset if you’re coming from the fast-paced, constantly on-the-go style of Doom, but this is how the game is apparently meant to be played: methodically clearing rooms before you enter them, peeking in the doorway. This is the most important strategy tip in this entire post. Corner peeking makes you much safer.

So, what is the point of double wielding, you ask? Until you get the perk upgrades, it’s mostly there for the occasional adrenaline rush and feeling of badassery. However, once you get the perks that increase double wielded damage, dual wield becomes a very useful situational tool. Note that these damage increases don’t seem to apply just because you’re in double wield mode, you need to press the two buttons simultaneously and shoot both weapons at the same time to get the boost. This is kind of difficult with some of the smaller, rapid fire weapons, but isn’t much of a problem with rocket launchers, and two pairs of rockets will be enough to kill the biggest enemies, even on Uber. The final boss on Uber literally took me less than 20 seconds, 8-10 dual wielded rockets finished him off before he could get any of his taunts off.

Enemies / damage types:
The game does a terrible job of teaching you this, but I think different enemies are vulnerable to specific types of weapons, and if you don’t use the correct one, you can easily waste most of your ammo without doing any significant damage. Generally, anything except energy weapons (LKW, Marksman alt.fire, Tesla grenades) and rockets will be completely useless against bigger enemies. I’ll do a quick rundown of the most important enemy types:

1. puny humans:
    anything goes, but once the stronger enemies start showing up, you’re gonna want to save your more powerful ammo and use only your default ballistic weapons (AR, mostly) against these guys.

2. armored shotgun dudes (first encountered in chapter 4 IIRC):
    these guys can be a pain in the ass. The tank on their back is their weak spot, if you have good aim, you can take it out with a few well-placed AR shots, but once you get the alt.fire for the shotgun (one of the most fun and effective tools in the game), you can easily get that to hit their backs. If you have LKW charge and the scope upgrade or a surplus of grenades, just use those to get rid of them quickly. Rockets also work, but once again, you’ll want to save those for the enemies below.

3. armored rocket launcher dudes (first encountered at the start of chapter 12 IIRC): grenades, LKW, rockets. No shame in using rockets on these guys as they deal massive damage if left alive. Take them out first.

4. robots (first encountered in chapter 3): hitting them with a tesla grenade stuns them for a long time. One grenade and a few rounds of simultaneous double-rockets should be able to take them out before they get a chance to hit you. The LKW also works, if you have the charge. Also, most of the time they appear in environments with mounted turrets, so if you take care of everyone else, you can just stun them with the grenade and easily tear them apart with the turret.

5. supersoldaten (first encountered at the end of chapter 6, IIRC): two pairs of simultaneous rockets, pulling out a fully charged alt.fire marksman dual-wield and emptying both of them completely, or a fully charged scoped LKW shot will generally take them out. Grenades can also work until you get the rocket launcher.

Finally, make sure you find as many of the LKW upgrades as you can. When fully upgraded, this will be your most powerful weapon, able to take down almost any enemy in a single shot, even on the highest difficulty. Worst case scenario, you will need 2 shots, and you can get free ammo at the charging stations, even in the midst of combat.

I’ve found an online list of the upgrades. Cannot vouch for its veracity but figured I’d post it here with spoiler tags so you can look at the one for your current level without spoiling future locations.

Chapter 6 - Laserkraftwerk: Full Automatic – Once you make it to the hanger in chapter 6 you can get the upgrade. If you look at the map it is in the bottom room next to one of the commanders. In the back corner you can get the upgrade.
Chapter 7 - Laserkraftwerk: Reflection – In chapter 7 you finally can use the Laser in the base. Once you are retrieving the power saw you will fall down into the sewers. Follow the path until you go through a hole in the wall into another part of the sewer. Instead of heading for the objective go the opposite way and get the upgrade.
Chapter 9 - Laserkraftwerk: Strobe – In chapter 9 after you collect the welder you you will have to knock a ladder down with you laser. Once you go up the ladder look to the right for an upgrade box.
Chapter 10 - Laserkraftwerk: Tesla – In chapter 10 after you take the elevator up towards the train you can find this in between two crates. It is a large yellow box.
Chapter 11 - Laserkraftwerk: Portable Reactor
Towards the end of Chapter 11, you will unlock a story-based achievement and find yourself in a treasure room.
You will need to solve a small puzzle in order to unlock this upgrade.

Chapter 12 - (This is the most important upgrade, as it completely changes how you use the weapon) Laserkraftwerk: Targeting Scope – After you clear out the double decker train car of Nazis you will climb up to the main train car you need to enter. Take the beam across to the train car behind the double decker and cut a hole in the fence to get this upgrade. It is a large yellow box.

Hope this helps everyone become a more efficient nazi hunter in the future - as well as in the game. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Slams down a shot glass previously filled with ultraviolence, Nazi stabbing, and well conveyed emotions by a diverse group of nuanced characters

Done!

That’s the Fergus playthrough done. If I can do a refresher run of the Wyatt playthrough again before the podcast is up then I’ll kind of be disappointed by how long this is taking.

Also I like the little detail in the Fergus storyline that in addition to befriending Tekla, BJ tries to fix that she’s a cross-dominant shot. The technique he uses is actually controversial as shooting randos will talk all day about whether it’s better to correct cross-dominance by training the weak hand or the weak eye. Like Tekla I was trained to correct the eye when I was learning archery so good on BJ for doing things the right way. Of course it’s then hilarious that it’s all pointless as Tekla sidesteps the problem entirely by duel wielding pistols and shooting from the hip.

I’m surprised I hadn’t heard much about the concentration camp level.

It’s not an especially long sequence. And it’s ultimately a flawed premise as it allows you, as a prisoner, to solve the situation with a bit of violence and cunning. But I really appreciated that the game went there.

Really good rundown of tactics, but I thought I’d point out with the robots: there’s no need for any sort of heavy weaponry with them. Tesla 'nade them, then get to their backside. They have a circular weak spot there. Just put a handful of AR rounds into it, and they go down fast.

Thanks for pointing that out, I actually haven’t noticed this on either of my playthroughs!
Once again, I wish the game did a better job of steering you towards these options, you can stumble through the entire thing without being aware of how any of its systems work. It’s frustratingly but almost admirably old school in this sense.

This is particularly interesting because I had considered this the one thing the game taught you well since the first time you come up against them the only thing you have in abundance is grenades and turrets, but it turns out the latter was actually serving as a distraction from figuring out the more elegant strategy to take them down.

I finally after, what, a month? Put more time into this game. I stopped when you wake up after the intro area is done. There was definitely a life or two expended reacquainting myself with the controls, but I slipped back into it pretty easily and ended up doing another 3 or 4 levels.

I have yet to really care very much about any of the characters. They’ve at least put BJ in a ridiculous (and terrible) enough situation that his standard grim-FPS-dude inner monologue actually makes sense. If there are interesting characters coming, they haven’t revealed themselves yet, but I get the feeling I’m still pretty early.

That said, the gameplay continues to impress! The game seems to want me to be very aggressive (all those dual-wielding options and stuff), but at least so far I’ve very much favored a slow, silent approach. I’d chalk that up to my own inclinations though. It speaks well of the game that when I’m crouch-walking everywhere and using a silenced pistol and knife take downs, it feels great… And when I invariably goof up and go loud, it still feels great.

I’m finding myself with a lot more free time these days because reasons, and also have a very empty weekend ahead of me. Hopefully it won’t be so long before I get back to this.

So, I finished my play through. Overall that was pretty damn good. Gameplay was cool and, when it worked, you felt like a badass. That said, I do think a lot of the more heavily armored guys weren’t especially fun or interesting to fight.

Story wise, this game manages to pull off an impressive thing that I always enjoy. Real people, ridiculous situations. It sounds simple or impossible depending how you look at it but, when it’s right, it can be really powerful. Because, especially in these fanfictionie times, life can sometimes feel pretty damn ridiculous. It’s a hard thing to articulate but the severely amplified, ridiculous version is often the easiest to relate to.

Now taking bets on what will come first-- the release of Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus or the release of the first episode of this podcast :grin:

My guess is they’ll try to time it so the podcast series ends right as the game releases, but something unexpected will come up halfway through and they’ll have to end it a week after release, making it all weird

Good news, gang (or, well, bad news for anyone who bet unwisely in @2Mello’s pool :wink:)! The first Waypoint 101 episode for Wolfenstein: The New Order is recording soon and is now soliciting questions! If you have any comments on Chapters 1-6, please send them over to the topic thread!

If folks have thoughts on Chapters 1 through 6 in a way that goes beyond the original question, I think this topic is a good place to sound out about them (and, of course, it’s totally cool to wait for the episode to reflect on them as a chunk unto themselves).

I’m out THOUSANDS of Zenny.

This is to a tee how I felt about the game. From the moment Fergus opened his mouth I knew I was going to love that character. Made the choice hard though since letting a kid get it in the back of the skull so you could hang with your cooler pal was kind of fucked up.

Altered copy-paste from the question thread coz the ‘anecdote’ might be better-placed here -

I’m coming at it a little differently than I think most people did - taken aback by a game with this bro-sy, story-light lineage and this pulpy story getting real about PTSD and survivor’s remorse and hope in hopeless situations - because Return to Castle Wolfenstein was (along with Halo) the game me and my dad used to play together. I clocked it then he started and we played his first playthrough together, me helping with the bosses when it got too demanding. It’s a really crucial part of my video game history and honestly, a pretty crucial touchstone in my relationship with my dad, and so I don’t see R2CW as the light, corny Medal of Honor-ish experience it is. That’s kind of why I like New Order so much - so far (and I’m past Chapter 6 on my first playthrough), while it doesn’t measure up to that experience and it won’t be taking that kind of place in my life, I’m not sad or fussed that it won’t. It doesn’t feel like it needs to match the sentimental value I get from its predecessor. It’s the game I need it to be right now, a shooter that reflects my anxiety about the world while also being hopeful and encouraging, and that means something. Maybe I’ll be able to play it with my dad over Christmas.

One other thing: do y’all feel bulky playing this too? With the huge, dual-wielded weapons, the slow running, the way crouching doesn’t feel that close to the ground and the clumsy-ass weapon switching, it’s weird to play a game that’s actually conscious of its burly protag. Kinda used to playing brick shithouses who have the dexterity and speed of Jet Li.

The time for questions has now since closed!

Hopefully the podcast is good fun.

That said, as someone who hasn’t played this game, I’m super curious to see if anyone has any thoughts on this question:

Honestly I always thought that while BJ is burly, he is fast and somewhat fragile (even if he’s immune to knives). The way I always had the most success playing the game was a game about sprinting from spot to spot and using the traversal options to minimize my exposure to fire. That slide move that BJ has is fantastic. He’s not as fast as Doomguy, but he’s pretty dang quick.

I just realised it might be because I’m playing on controller, lol (like Danielle, I try to avoid keyboard games when I can coz of my hands and wrists). Still, I think even the sprinting has some sway and sense of gravity to it that, say, Master Chief didn’t.

@DaggettRonpa Yes! When I play with dual-wielded assault rifles running through a level (AKA 100% of play) I feel like you usually feel when you’re walking with a turret in a FPS, except faster. The game has a really good way of making you feel big and powerful, but also making you really aware of that size in stealth segments even if how big you are only -feels- like it affects your stealth. They definitely did something to differentiate from the usual FPS model of making the combat feel good without really thinking about how fast your protag could actually move.

Even thought it’s third person so not an exact comparison, it’s something I always thought Gears of War did really well too: making your intimidating size and heavy gear feel as cumbersome as it was essential to your survival. Always preferred the weightiness it gives to combat as opposed to something floatier like Halo or Destiny