Waypoint 101 — Wolfenstein: The New Order [Spoilers Unleashed]

i’m not too heavily invested in this thing, but i find it a little disappointing that the crew has this big “let’s play a game together!” event, plays half the game, records podcast, and then kinda fizzles out on the idea and then moves to “fold in wolfenstein 2 discussion with part 2 of wolfenstein 1 podcast”. seems like a kinda half-assed conclusion to what was originally a neat idea. i realize people get busy and stuff, but still …

for people who bought into the original idea and played through the first one, but didn’t want to move directly into the sequel, this “part 2” of the podcast will probably be full of New Colossus spoilers and be unlistenable, right?

Kinda disappointed to hear about the discussion shifting primarily to Wolf 2. It sounds like Rob was really hyped to talk about the second half of Wolf 1 extensively but I guess it’s not happening. I think the sequel is an excellent game with a kind of lackluster final act while Wolf 1’s final moments are extremely powerful. I hope they still find the time to touch on it for a while.

Thanks for the update. It good to have some news, but I agree with ox_out_the_cage and Foxtrot - that’s pretty disappointing as an outcome, especially if there are going to be New Colossus spoilers (at least, they’d be spoilers for those of us who’ve only played the first one so far) mixed in.

I get that people get busy, but I think this was a really good idea, and I’m a bit sad it hasn’t really worked out this time.

I would, however, still be totally up for a “Rob Zacny talks Wolfenstein” podcast though.

Honestly if Austin doesn’t want to finish the game that’s cool, I’m completely on board with just letting Rob talk at length about TNO. He has such an excellent grasp on the real-world historical context related to fascism and I just know he’s dying to dig into what that game’s ending says about the nature of resistance and sacrifice.

For those of us who keep up with Waypoint 101 purely through the forums, the podcast is live!

In news that may allure the concerned among you (particularly @Foxtrot, @ewan, and @ox_out_the_cage), the episode is pretty fairly split into The New Order and The New Colossus sections. I haven’t listened for myself yet, but as someone planning to use W101 as a way to jump right into The New Colossus, I’m at least happy to hear it.

Just started listening to the new podcast where they begin to mention how great the titles are.

New colossus comes from a poem (no one mentioned it at the very beginning before diving into the new order talk) that was commissioned for the pedestal of the statue of liberty.

The New Colossus
BY EMMA LAZARUS
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

FYI - Austin leaves for the last 30 minutes or so to join the Polygon team for PUBG…except we get a few minutes of his side of that call too. It’s a little distracting, but the crosstalk appears to end with about 24 minutes left. I’m not 100% sure as I’m still listening.

I believe Waypoint’s audio engineers are on the case!

A poem that BJ recites at the end of The New Order no less!

Okay, sorry, false alarm (audio problems). The real episode is up now, courtesy of Joel busting his ass through a hella-slow internet.

Quick note as I’m listening: Austin said he forgot the cat-monkey cutscene, but it’s actually missable. That’s probably what happened to him. I didn’t get it in my playthrough either.

the first “hey hi” was so funny because it happened directly after patrick mentioned austin, as if he was beetlejuiced back into the podcast

edit- I nearly forgot, the crew talk about a hypothetical ng+ in TNC to be able to find the items but its already in the game! The enigma missions will populate the map with collectible locations after the enemies are cleared out

One thing I just have to say about the podcast while I start to dig in — god, I love Zacny’s skillful capacity to share historical information in a tight and interesting way. As a history graduate, I am in respectful awe.

Hearing the crew describe Fergus’s party scene, it’s a damn tragedy how much better Wyatt’s party scene (and next morning sequence) is. Honestly, I thought that part was actually one of the strongest moments in the game. Not THE strongest, but definitely up there.

On the other hand, it sounds like the Fergus route has a WAY better ending speech than the weirdly nationalistic (and repetitive) speech Wyatt gives.

Eh. Fergus is all “comedy Scotsman” and apparently forgets that he’s not in Scotland talking to Scottish people halfway through his speech. But Grace’s bit is VERY, VERY good.

At least Grace GETS a bit in that version. In the Wyatt ending, she talks for literally 17 seconds (I just rewatched a video and she speaks from 1:17 to 1:34). She basically just says “Listen up, motherfuckers, the Nazis are bad and are lying to you. Tell 'em, Wyatt.” and then steps aside as Wyatt solos the rest of the ending.

The “comedy Scotsman” part in Wyatt’s ending is still a comedy bit, only it’s Wyatt after he thinks the camera is off talking to Grace, saying “oh gosh, that was scary. I tried to look tough but maaan I was shaking” and Grace trying to reassure him “no, no, you did fine, you looked plenty confident”. The part that gets replaced with Wyatt’s speech is the whole section with Grace and BJ and Horton all taking turns speaking. That’s all replaced by Grace introducing Wyatt and then Wyatt talking for a bit.