Waypoint Community End of Year III
Hello everyone! As we enter into the final weeks of 2018, it is once again that time when conversations about the game of the year enter the discourse and we find ourselves reflecting on what we’ve enjoyed this year. That is why the Waypoint Community moderators are proud to announce that we’ll be hosting our own event for the third year running.
As always we try to provide a space that is fun & inclusive for everyone in the community. We welcome considerate and passionate discussion and we’re eager to see folks discuss what their favorite games and other experiences were this year. We’ve reworked the categories slightly for this year and we can’t wait for you to see them.
Beyond the categories we’ve also made changes to the process and we’d like to take a minute to explain how things will differ and what the key dates are, before offering a tease of what’s to come.
Like last year, our event will be divided into two primary phases.
Phase 1 is currently running and will end on January 5th. On the 15th we opened up all of our threads for each category and you will have the floor to discuss & pitch your favorites for each of them. Above all else, we’d like for those discussions to be positive and constructive. We ask that everyone is mindful of our rules & guidelines, and to lead by example. If someone makes a case for a game you don’t like, we would recommend reflecting and improving your own case rather than trying to tear their’s down.
We’re handling the nominations externally this time and we’ll be linking out to a form for you to submit your choices, so that the threads themselves can entirely focus on the discussion of the games (and other media) that fall under the theming of the category. You’ll be able to go back in and change these choices up until the end of phase 1. Once phase 1 has concluded we’ll tally up the nominations and then put the most popular nominees to vote in phase 2.
Phase 2 will commence on January 5th and end on January 12th. On the 5th we’ll release a thread with polls for each of the categories we took nominations for. These polls will remain open for a week and will be visible to all. Once phase 2 has concluded and the polls have closed we will release a thread detailing all the winners on January 15th, alongside a thread for you to offer feedback on the event.
To help illustrate how we hope each phase will go, we’ve established some rules on eligibility. You can feel free to DM a mod if you’re unsure or think a game falls into a grey area.
- Each user can make up to three nominations per category. You may change these nominations at any time, up to the end of the phase 1 (January 5th).
- Games released between Dec 10th 2017 to Dec 15th 2018 are eligible for nomination (we’ve included the very end of 2017 to account for last year’s cut-off date).
- Games that entered Early Access in 2018 are eligible for nomination. Early Access games that hit 1.0 this year are also eligible for nomination.
- Ports, remakes, and remasters are not eligible unless a category specifies otherwise.
- Standalone games/expansions are eligible, however Downloadable Content (DLC) is not.
- Mobile and browser games are eligible as long as they meet all other relevant criteria.
- The moderation team reserves the right to remove any game from nomination if necessary.
There are a few categories accepting nominations that will have slightly different rules, but unless stated otherwise assume the above applies.
As you might have already ascertained the main thrust of the event this year won’t be taking place until the 15th but to whet your appetites and help everyone get a feel for the nomination process, we have a special category that we’ll be releasing today!
- Game Threads:
- Favorite Game
- Favorite Art Direction
- Favorite Environment
- Favorite Game Feel
- Favorite Game Music
- Favorite Multiplayer
- Favorite Ongoing Game
- Favorite Re-Release
- Favorite Sound Design
- Favorite Timeout Game
- Favorite Writing
- Gritty Presents: Favorite Fighting Game
- Favorite Fashion
- “That Time When…” - Moments in Games that Sparked Our Senses and Stuck in Our Minds
- What is Small Anyways? - Your Favorite Short Games & Games By Small Teams
- Beyond Keys and Control Sticks: Your Favorite VR, Mobile & Tabletop Games
- Non-Game Threads:
In summary, we are immensely excited for this and for everyone to jump in with their thoughts. We shifted a few things around this year and we hope the changes will be to everyone’s liking. We want this process to keep evolving over time as we experiment to see what does and doesn’t work. We hope you’ll enjoy this event as much as we did putting them together!
Waypoint Mod Team