Waypoint Explorers Club

This is a place for people to talk about any travels or adventures they have had. Whether that’s exploring a new country, hiking in local woods or anything you have on your bucket list.

I have had the privilege of having quite a few adventures so young. I live in South West Scotland and even though the Highlands get all the fame, the Southern Uplands can be just as rugged.
My home area has the largest forest (Galloway Forrest) in the country as well as the largest wilderness (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galloway_Hills) so I’ve had no shortage of biking and hiking opportunities and have spent time in a bothie on more than one occasion when the cold got too much.
I have surfed in Northen Ireland, which seems weird but was great and I have gone hiking in the Brecon Beacons in Wales. I’ve been to France, Belgium and went on a road trip around Spain where I was robbed by the police (not a fun day).
Farther away from home, I’ve been to Afghanistan, the UAE as well as mountain biking and kayaking in Kenya.

What I would like to do in the future (other than travel literally everywhere) is to explore more of Scotland. I know it’s already famous for its landscapes but it truly is amazing. We have 9 out of 10 of the tallest peaks in the UK. The largest body of water, Loch Lomond, which has more water in it than every lake in Europe combined. The largest seamount in the UK. Muckle Flugga, the most northerly point in which nothing lies beyond but the Arctic. Volcanic caves like Fingal’s Cave. I would like to see it all and more.

So, what adventures have you been on and where else would you like to go?

I got to see Loch Lomond this summer, and it is incredible! You should totally go see it if you get the chance! I was on a study trip (and it was very touristy but I had fun) in the UK last year. If you’re into Emily Bronte, or hills, or sheep, I recommend checking out the Bronte Parsonage in Haworth, England, it’s surrounded by rolling hills and it’s a fun (if short) hike to spend a day with