Waypoint Grognards

I’m sure there are a few other wargame fans out there who want to talk about (or want to know more about) the games Zacny is banging on about every other week.

Wargame 101

For anyone looking to get into the genre, the best way to start is to choose a period of history you’re interested in and know a bit about and find a simple wargame that depicts that period. Some good introductory titles include:

• For ancients wargames (i.e anything from Rome or earlier) Field of Glory II was just released.

• Napoleon era games are notoriously complicated, although Victory and Glory is simple and well put together.

• For Feudal Japan I would recommend Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun.

• If you’re interested in the American Civil War you should check out Ultimate General.

• For World War 1, Commander: The Great War is a good introductory title.

• For WW2, you are really spoilt for choice and you can drill down into almost any theatre or level of detail you want. Unity of Command is almost always billed as a good game to get started with. There is also the Order of Battle series which has the advantage of the base game being free. Probably the best WW2 game of all (IMO) Command Ops 2 is also free to get the base game to try out.

If you’re looking for something a bit meatier, head over to http://www.matrixgames.com/ or ask in this thread!

Right now I’m looking forward to the new scenarios for Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations about the Arab/Israeli conflicts from the 50s and 60s dropping next week