Waypoint Radio Discusses Gaming's Latest Subscription Service, Apple Arcade

There's no denying that Apple Arcade is a gamechanger. The mobile games space has long been modeled around microtransactions, design was mostly built around that form of monetization. There were a few breakout games that sold without microtransactions, but they were the exception and not the rule. Now, as more and more interesting games roll out on Apple's new subscription service, it begs the question "What does this mean for game developers?" Apple has made a big show of courting big name developers, but with a lack of transparency it's hard to tell in these early days whether independent developers will ultimately be hurt or helped by the new model. We discuss this and more on today's Waypoint Radio. You can listen to the full episode and read an excerpt below.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/59n5b3/waypoint-radio-discusses-gamings-latest-subscription-service-apple-arcade

I am in a minority of one when it comes to Zelda remakes, because I so, so badly want Nintendo to remake Zelda II, and I know they never will because that game is so (both fairly and unfairly) maligned.

Zelda II is the riskiest game in the franchise. It’s a weird mishmash of top-down and sidescrolling levels, with RPG stats and leveling and spells and a magic meter and a vast world filled with obscure secrets and buried dungeons and monsters that make Link seem incredibly SMALL in a way none of these games besides Breath of the Wild ever really accomplished.

But it’s not the same kind of small as Breath of the Wild. Breath of the Wild made Link feel small in a way that was exciting, perhaps intimidating sometimes, but invited exploration. Zelda II’s sense of smallness and scale was the Dark Souls 1 sense, the sense of being a gnat in the face of a world that doesn’t give a shit about you, that is actively hostile and hunting you out like an immune system hunting a virus. In my head, I kind of think of it as a precursor to Souls—at the risk of sounding like a stereotype, it feels like an experimental bridge between two series that are pretty heavily linked.

And also… it’s not a great game, but the things that make it not a great game are actually fixable! Make a more forgiving checkpointing system that eliminates the need to endlessly backtrack. Rebalance the areas so players don’t need to grind levels in the early game. Clean up some of the localization snafus and maybe give the overworld a bit of an overhaul. Honestly speaking, no other Zelda games really need remakes because they’re still Good Games on their platforms. But Zelda II could be made so much better and it kills me that it’ll probably continue to get passed over.

Oh, yeah, and thank you for coming to my TED Talk

6 Likes

Speaking of Apple Arcade does anybody else find Overland to be just unplayable in touch controls? Like basic commands of sending a dog to go to the car just do not work.

For a game this stupidly brutal (which I admit I probably wouldn’t like even if the controls worked) this is intolerable. On night levels you can’t even undo pure movement selection. So say I send the dog to kill a bug and instead the game thinks I’m touching the tile behind the menu, the dog moves, he’s gonna get hit, that’s basically Game Over. No point to even continuing if you make a single mistake either your fault or the controls. And seriously, fuck you for that, game.

I think this is the worst game I’ve played this year, controls aside. I truly hate it.

Oh wait, there’s also Various Daylife…

1 Like

I’ve been waiting for this topic to drop because when Patrick and Cado were talking about Kirby’s Dream Course, It reminded me of one of the coolest things that the Game Grumps community had done back when I was a part of it.

So, back when I was actively following the Game Grumps, they played Kirby’s Dream Course in vs. mode a bunch, eventually making their way through the whole game. It was a pretty popular series, so when they finished it, (I think) someone on the subreddit organized a thing where people could make levels for a ROM hack of the game, with the ultimate goal of putting it onto a cartridge and sending it to the Grumps and having them play more Dream Course

The result was Grump’s Dream Course, which came complete with a custom intro, modified sprites, and renamed courses. The most interesting thing was that some people had built levels to force the Grumps to engage with mechanics that they had either ignored or forgotten, and featured some level designs that messed with the isometric perspective of the game in neat ways.

E: Shit, there were 152 levels, custom music from the Grumps’ musical endeavours, and an instruction manual., and I think a level editor and associated instructions were made? There’s a lot, if you wanna learn more, here’s some links:

3 Likes

As someone who loves the idea of Zelda II but doesn’t enjoy actually playing it, I’m fully on board with this.

I have similar thoughts about Castlevania 2…

1 Like

I’m with you, I was really excited to try it and then … just didnt like nearly anything about it. It just feels needlessly difficult sometimes, like how you cant change the items your party are holding even though the game shows them just chilling around a camp fire.

1 Like

Mini motorways seems like the standout Apple Arcade thing for me so far but boy does it make my 2018 ipad get really hot

@Cado (and @austin_walker ) re: the Destiny stuff, they’ve said that content licenses come from your primary account, so in Austin’s case if your primary account is PS4, and you buy a DLC pack on the PS4, then you can access that on your PC via cross save also. Unfortunately I think this only counts for Season Pass content and not major expansions (think Forsaken, Shadowkeep), but its something.

1 Like

Also on the destiny stuff, the silver not transferring sucks but was largely expected. Nothing short of a miracle was going to let currency that one platform holder got a cut of on purchase to a different platform who wouldn’t get their cut of that purchase…

Nice, glad you mentioned it, meant to do so myself but had forgotten by the time the post went up. It’s probably one of my favourite series of theirs.

Worth mentioning that not only did the community design over 150 new levels and give the Kirby sprites grump faces, but they also flashed it all on a real cartridge and sent it to them, playing it all on a genuine SNES.

1 Like