Waypoint Weeklies: Most Anticipated of 2022

A new year has begun, and though not much is different, there’s always a sense of anticipation that comes with fresh goals and a new beginning. And while we are working towards making 2022 a better year than the past, we also have new things to look forward to and to help get us through the year.

Video games, events, albums, films, shows, books, comics - whatever it is, this week, let’s discuss what we’re looking forward to in 2022!

So, the big video games that cost a fortune to make? I’m looking forward to basically all of those. The movies too.

But. But but but.

Band-Maid is doing a US Tour. Covid permitting, let’s gooooooooo

1 Like

Fucking hyped for the new John Darnielle book ‘Devil House’.

Wolf in White Van is an incredible book that had a huge impact on me. Universal Harvester didn’t click for me, but I am extremely excited that John is venturing more into horror as the man can conjure an image.

3 Likes

Games are good, actually, and most notably for me: Hitman 3 — Year 2 (which will be my first crack at it), Redfall, Weird West, hopefully the System Shock remake, Gloomwood

2 Likes

Indie games tend to get more [waves hand] kind of release dates, so these are more games I’m anticipating - broadly - though whether or not they manage to release in 2022 is unknowable.

And I’m also looking forward to more updates/perhaps a full release for Death Trash.

Outside of video games, there’s not a ton of things big on my list, though I am looking forward to more of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean. Hopefully this will be the year we see the Uzumaki anime, too. Can’t think of any big films for the year I’m interested in, but I’ll definitely see The Northman because I’m a medievalist and I liked The Lighthouse.

China Miéville has a reading on the Communist Manifesto coming out soon, too, that should be good.

5 Likes

Fucking super hyped for The Northman

The part where he catches the spear and then throws it back at the guy? That was actually inspired by my life

6 Likes

Someone mentioned Weird West, which is high on my list of things I need to remember to remember.

Oh and also: Steam Deck

1 Like

As with many other years before it, there isn’t too much stuff coming out this year that I’m greatly anticipating. Lots of stuff I’m curious about and willing to check out for sure but for right now at least, there isn’t much on the slate for 2022 that’s bound to be a called shot for me… except for one thing!

nirvanA Initiative, the sequel to AI: The Somnium Files is supposed to come out this year and I’m very much looking forward to and also completely dreading the day that game drops.

I’m also not the type to get hyped watching trailers but I popped off the first time I saw the announcement trailer for nirvanA. I’ve cooled down on it since but I’m still holding out hope that this one lives up to me and every other Somnium Files fans’ expectations. Making Mizuki the protagonist is such a galactic level idea and I’m hoping I don’t feel like that was a mistake by the time I’m playing it myself!

Also waiting very patiently and expectantly that this is the year that UFO 50 finally comes out! I’m sure it’ll be here any day now…

1 Like

THIS TIME we’re definitely getting The Winds of Winter, right guys?

Genuinely, I’m looking forward a cool Nintendo year. Pokemon Legends: Arceus and Triangle Strategy in particular. I am personally doubtful that we get Splatoon and Zelda, but those (or 1/2) would be amazing, too.

In movies, I’m really excited for Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Part One).

For the 10th consecutive year, I’m anticipating most, the return of my abs.

Oh and Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Part One)

3 Likes

Far: Changing Tides is coming out in March. I thoroughly enjoyed the previous Far game and can’t wait to see what they do this time.

Roadwarden is set for this year? really enjoyed the demo. Feels very much like if Cormac McCarthy made a text adventure game.

The Chainsaw Man anime adaptation, assuming the people making it don’t (justifiably) walk out halfway through.

1 Like

I will be looking forward to a time-worn tradition: catching up on the stuff I didn’t watch or play in 2021… but that’s a boring answer, so let’s say: Sony’s slate of big first party things (Horizon: Forbidden West and God of War: Ragnarok, assuming the latter still makes 2022). I don’t have a PS5 yet and I’m not sure I’d grab these on PS4 so… hmm. But I am excited nevertheless! Less platform specific, I’m jazzed for Hitman III: Year 2, Weird West, Hardspace: Shipbreakers leaving early access, and god help me, the possible release of a ‘finished’ version of Cyberpunk 2077.

Film-wise, in no particular order of excitement: The Northman, Nope, The Batman, Knives Out 2, more Spider-Verse, and Everything Everywhere All At Once.

Everything Everywhere All At Once is the Michelle Yeoh A24 joint, right?

1 Like

elden ring by from software

2 Likes

“I’m here to kill Chaos”

1 Like

Yep!

2 Likes

Yes. Count me in for this one too.

1 Like

It was nice deep diving into a new series last year, when I got into souls. I want to do that again this year. Maybe get really into Yakuza, Monster Hunter, or Danganronpa. So, looking forward to something like that.

Also, Halo Infinite forge mode hitting in (hopefully) May has me quite excited.

1 Like

A long vacation.

6 Likes