Waypoint Weeklies: Not-So-Scary Monsters

boooooooooo! :ghost: oh no… sorry… pretend i scared you…

Our Waypoint Weeklies for October have been about the frightening parts of our favorite games, but this week we ask: what if a fiend… was also a friend? The creatures who usually send chills down our spines just being chill guys!

Tell us about the friendliest ghosts, the most dateable skeletons, and the nicest nightmares you love in games.

1 Like

My main man Hanbei The Undying from Sekiro. You know how nice it is to have a friend who will teach you how to Souls without judgment? Who’s always there for you?

4 Likes

Murray from Monkey Island

7 Likes

On the theme of “talking skulls”, I feel like I should also put in a vote for everyone’s favourite floating talking skull, Morte from Planescape: Torment.

4 Likes

More Skeleton boys, Manny Calavera from Grim Fandango

Not sure he qualifies as the entire world is skeletons and demons

5 Likes

I always enjoyed Spooky Dead Link in Twilight Princess. The advanced moves you picked up from him were a cool mechanic.

Abzu is also cool for letting you hang out with a lot of generally terrifying and large sea creatures, though maybe living creatures from the present/past stretches the description of “monster.” Tons of big 'ol ocean guys that would scare the pants off of me in real life to hang out with here.

1 Like

As long as we’re talking skeletons, I would be remiss if we passed over Let It Die’s skateboarding mascot Uncle Death

8 Likes

The entire cast of Undertale and Deltarune pretty much, it’s hard to single someone out.
Perhaps Susie, she starts off scary and tough but becomes really lovely?

4 Likes

Lot of great floating skulls, like the maybe a metaphor for capitalism? skull in Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor or - to attempt to pick a favourite out of the Undertale cast - Papyrus. But ah, there’s one little ghost skull who has been a dear companion to me in several games: Duskull, in Pokémon.

12 Likes

When I saw we were doing floating skulls, this is who I thought of. As much as I hated their "bleh!"s while trying to listen to festival music, it didn’t feel the same without them.

2 Likes

Imps from Dragon Quest are just happy little guys with spoons or forks.

7 Likes

Reefback Leviathan from Subnautica. I remember the first time seeing it and being terrified until realizing it was not aggressive at all.

2 Likes

Hades kind of has a lot of what you would call fiends, but since it’s spooky season what about Skelly?

4 Likes

I’ve been trying to wrap my head around how best to explain this one but: glitched enemies. I know I’m not 100% alone in this, between encountering it in co-op with friends and even spotting it on a Waypoint stream (more below), but I wonder if anyone else here recognises the phenomena.

It’s often in - though not unique to - horde-based games like a Left 4 Dead. After a big battle you’ll realise there’s one enemy - zombie, alien, other monster - stuck on some geometry and no longer a threat. Or in some rare (and mildly gross) cases, maybe it’s a game that renders damage to these enemies, like the Flood in Halo where you can literally disarm them and they’re no longer able to attack.

This actually came up in a recent Waypoint stream of Aliens: Fireteam Elite. After a wave of xenomorphs, one was stuck on the wall, not attacking.

Often, as in that stream, this is a brief moment of “hey, a buddy!”. Games frequently rely on a checkpointing system that means the whole wave needs defeating, so you have to Old Yeller your new friend.

5 Likes