Waypoints 48 - Yellowjackets, The Expanse, and Rob's Motorsports Mania

Welcome back to Waypoints! What's usually a very video games light show actually gets interrupted by breaking news: Sony is going to buy Bungie, the studio behind the Halo and Destiny franchises. Next, Cado and Rob talk through the Expanse as it closes out it's final season, and track how the show has changed season to season, and the difference between the Syfy and Amazon Prime eras. After the break, Patrick introduces the crew to Yellowjackets, the new Lost-esque show that people have been raving about. Then Rob tells us about his new Motorsports obsession. What's that? Rob's already into Motorsports? Ok maybe but not these Motorsports!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://shows.acast.com/vicegamingsnewpodcast/episodes/waypoints-48-yellowjackets-the-expanse-and-robs-motorsports
2 Likes

As a long time proponent of the tv show Lost, I definitely need to watch Yellowjackets, but that will have to wait until I finish my third (fourth?) watch through of Lost. Similar to Patrick, Lost and the Leftovers are two of my favorite shows of all time, only beaten by the X Files, so I’m very excited to potentially hear some more Lost talk as Cado continues to watch it.

I think I’ve said this on the forum before, but I think Lost benefits heavily from being available on streaming. Or at least having the ability to watch all of it in relatively short order. This helps to solve my main issue with the show. Without the built in time to speculate between each week/season, the “mystery” and the puzzle box aspects don’t feel as important, at least to me. So much of the original hype for Lost was driven by the endless speculation on forums, both official and unofficial. I remember that my dad was one of the people that would watch the new episode and immediately go read the forums to see what people thought. I think the focus on those things really takes away from the heart of the show which is the characters themselves and is largely why the post-Lost shows that attempted to capitalize on that aspect didn’t hit as hard. People (and marketing execs) think that what people want is the puzzle box, but they need good (ok, maybe just decent) and compelling characters to keep them coming back.