We Discuss Nick Robinson, Harassment, and Power Dynamics on Waypoint Radio

This news just made me so unexpectedly upset and angry, I’m still not totally sure what I have to say about it? I guess I’ve sort of been waiting for the other shoe to drop on Polygon’s youtube channel; I’ve seen this kind of fandom before, and it always takes a dark turn, and that usually shuts down my enjoyment of the thing. I move on. But the combination of the suddenness of this news, after following the guy across social media for years, the severity of the problem, and the fact that there’s a lot of tensions around this subject (if you’re involved in more than one online community, you probably know that they all reacted differently). It’s been hard to just… be upset. Like, nothing happened to me, as an individual person. I don’t even know anyone who was affected. But being party to something so upsetting can just be so draining and difficult. I guess it means a lot to hear people around here legitimize feeling dirty and bad while knowing you don’t deserve it. I hope you folks are all okay and going through stuff without blaming yourself; there’s one person responsible, and it’s Nick himself.
big sigh

We’re not talking about a hypothetical sexual assault, we’re talking about Nick Robinson being a creep. Focus on what’s happening, not on what isn’t. The victims didn’t want it spread publically, so it wasn’t. There were industry rumours because people were privately warning each other away from Nick. Just because you didn’t see it doesn’t mean it wasn’t happening.

a number of those affected have already stated that they were extremely glad this happened. i don’t really think the means are quite as important, especially when it’s presented in a way that’s guaranteed to grab people’s attention. i have good confidence any person entrusted with this sort of information would be fully aware and sympathetic to the needs of those hurt by robinson’s actions, because those people are our friends and the point of this is to protect them by removing a predator from the community

And it has come to light over the weekend that he was doing this to fans as well going so far as to ask them to perform sexual favors. Asking for nudes like an immature high schooler is one thing, trying to convince a fan that looks up to you to come over and give you a blow job is completely different in my book. At that point you have crossed over from being a creep to a sexual predator.

Warning colleagues and friends doesn’t warn the large fan base he has. Most people to come forward right now are people in the industry but how many fans has he done things to that we do not know about yet or may never know about?

Yeah I can agree with that. Basically my position is:
A) when someone comes to you with a confidence like “Nick Robinson, professional soft boy, has been pressuring me for nudes” your first instinct should be to respect that person’s needs and desires; if you can spread the information in a way that will be believed without causing harm to anyone already hurt (as happened here), then go ahead, but it’s incredibly difficult to actually know what will make someone a target and what will be believed. Especially in a community as conservative as the gaming one.
B) it’s incredibly unfair to apportion any blame to Austin, or Griffin, or anyone else, for not spreading the information they had when you do not actually know what they knew, or how firmly they knew it, or what they actually did about it in private. The fault is Nick’s, and Nick’s alone.

I do think the point about his fans being preyed on is important though. He was going after young girls who were obviously not clued in to the network of people in the industry who knew and secretly shared things. Personally I’d feel really conflicted knowing I had information that might be able to help people and intentionally choosing to keep it hidden. That said I don’t think it’s fair to expect that Austin or anyone else knew the extent of what Nick was doing to his fans specifically. They only knew what they knew and complied with the wishes of the victims who confided in them which is the appropriate course of action. It’s just hard to accept that info was out there in the airwaves that could have potentially stopped this sooner while he was piling up more victims, especially his younger fans.

Edit: And I also just want to say that there aren’t any easy solutions here and I hope I’m not coming across as too harsh on anyone but the person who actually did all this. All of the blame goes to Nick for doing what he did and forcing these situations of silence, guilt, and pain.

I think one thing you’re forgetting is that people tried to get this out before. When Nick tweeted about jerking off to Krystal from Starfox it led to a tweetstorm about this exact same thing, but it ended up not taking and didn’t get as big.

By the nature of how vague and detail lacking this stuff has to be, you can never guarantee it will be listened to even if you have a significant platform. So I think it’s totally fair to respect a victim’s wishes than to take a risk and hope that something actually comes of it.

That’s true. I just really, really feel for the fans who got caught up in this shit with him. Having to deal with this kind of thing without the support network the industry people had must have been so rough. I realize no one is to blame here for the way things played out but it’s still frustrating to see(and no doubt a million times more frustrating to actually have dealt with him personally).

I apologize if this is a bit personal, but… like I said, when I met him he was at Rev3Games and saw him take on the challenges when Adam Sessler had left, when the site finally closed down, when he was on his own and when he joined Polygon, and the whole time me and many others I know gave him so much love and support because we saw how creative and positive he could be and what he could do with that.

To do this is to take all that love and support that we gave him and throw it away entirely. That none of that ever mattered to him despite how much it meant to us. This is what’s making it hurt so much, because its something that a lot of people won’t understand.

We put our faith in someone, and in turn they just used it to hurt others.

Hi, I’ve been trying to mostly recuse myself from either posting or moderating this thread but as someone who is a close friend of a few of the people directly affected by this and who has been affected by this whole discussion by being an harassment/assault survivor myself - vagueblogging is all a lot of us had at the time. I’ve known about this for a very long time. I didn’t quite know the full scope of it until this week and that portion of that coming to light has been even more upsetting due to my background with these sorts of things, but trust me a lot of people “vagueblogging” about this were either party to this in some capacity as it happened or have been spinning their wheels for a long time trying to both respect our friends wishes but also help them get this to light. You have no idea how complicated it is to call out a well beloved, “progressive” figure for something that’s extremely hard to prove and shouldn’t have to be proven to every single person out there who wants to be convinced.

You have no idea what some of us were asked. Every time you saw vagueblogging, it was often a steam valve for those of us who had to deal with seeing someone so well liked for being “a good boy” who we knew secretly was hurting people.

As far as the idea of “can you live with yourself” that @Wazanator mentioned - I have lived through that. Except it was someone I tried to report to the authorities and this person’s colleagues. No one listened to me.

Give me a perfect scenario where this is supposed to work and I’ll tell you that it often doesn’t at all. The issue with making statements like about “what you should do” is a lot of people here are lacking the knowledge of what it is like to deal with creeps/repeat offenders/abusers of any stripes. They trade in good will and covering their tracks. They hide what they are doing because they know it’s wrong but they don’t care. They pick victims that are already marginalized and separate them from their support networks by making them feel like shit. They make them feel like it was their fault. They build up cred to damage them trying to come forward.

The fact that I had no idea of the full scope of this behavior myself shows what a huge issue this was. Speaking in perfect statements about what should happen falls apart when you’re not recognizing how we don’t live in a culture that supports or believes victims, but rather generates a 1000 people like Nick and normalizes that behavior.

You’re right, sorry. I meant to just defend people who knew about the issue and didn’t spread it because of all those complex reasons you mentioned, but I definitely should have thought more about the actual words I was saying. Extremely sorry - I’ll think much more carefully before posting about these kinds of issues in the future.

It’s okay, it’s a hard topic for a lot of us, I just want people to know what a struggle this was for a lot of people, the most struggling being victims themselves.

Yeah, as difficult as it might be for some of us to come to terms with our emotional attachment to a content creator and media that we’ve enjoyed, it’s important to remember that we are not the people who are struggling the most with this. Not by a long shot.

I’m curious, from a managerial position, at what point this out-of-office behavior can be disciplined by someone’s employer. After all, if someone is a personality and they are behaving with fans in an inappropriate way, doesn’t that fall within the scope of the employer to take disciplinary action? I see a lot of people talking about Nick’s co-workers outing him, but shouldn’t someone have said to him, “Listen, that’s not cool”? Or shouldn’t an employer have said that this isn’t acceptable behavior? (Maybe this has been covered, but haven’t seen it in this thread.)

It’s not clear that Polygon knew the extent of things at what stage yet. It may well be that people had told him it wasn’t cool, we just don’t know (and due to privacy with job terminations, may never know). I’d argue that fans acquired largely due to content you’ve produced for a particular outlet while employed by them are absolutely within the employer’s right to take action against, not to mention the fact that it sounds like at least some of the people involved were involved in the industry in a way that’s difficult to argue would have had nothing to do with his employment. Regardless, part of his job is to be a public face for the company, and when those people bring massive controversy on the employer by association, they are well within their rights to action that.

I didn’t really follow the guy, I think I vaguely remember him working at Rev 3 games with Sessler, Max Scoville and Tara Long. I don’t know much of the details apart from what was discussed on the podcast, but I do think it speaks to some of the problems with more people these days working in the media, and broadcasting these marketable personas of themselves online. We should hold them as accountable and at least be aware that they might not exactly be the person they present onscreen.

I ain’t never trust his ass, something about him reminded me so heavily of a shit friend I had for years. I even said months ago to my friend who is a massive Griffin fan that I don’t watch his shit with Nick cause dude rubs me the wrong way. Maybe I’m wrong and he’ll come out clean, but nothing that has gone down came to me with any surprise.

That’s terrible and I’m sorry if I brought up bad memories. I’m sorry I let my emotions get the better of me but the idea of finding out that someone like Nick preyed on my sister and then finding out that someone knew he was doing this before but said nothing to warn people like my sister was extremely upsetting.

So IANAL but every state in the U.S. follows what is called at-will employment which in short means your boss can fire you for whatever they deem fit. However some states have other rules on top of this to try and better protect employees but it is of course a mess of trying to have a court determine why someone was fired because of how easy it is for someone to find you at fault for doing something wrong even if minor. At this point I do not think there is a court in the U.S. that would side with Nick if he tried to sue Polygon over wrongful termination when his actions as an employee make Polygon look bad.

There’s also the part that completely divorced from what Nick has reportedly done to his fans, the fact that he supposedly did the same to women in the industry he covers is, from a journalistic point of view ,unprofessional as all hell at best and ethically fucked to the Nth degree up at worst. If he did indeed subject women in the industry to the shit that it seems he did, Polygon are well within their rights to fire him from a purely professional perspective.

Yeah, but I’m not talking about the legal aspects. Rob even made a huge distinction in the podcast about legality versus public opinion. I was just asking because I’ve been a manager in that sort of position.