We Discuss the New 'PUBG' Map and 'Ready Player One' on Waypoint Radio

A new trailer for Steven Spielberg's adaptation of Ready Player One dropped this weekend, which prompts Austin, myself, and Rob into a longer discussion about Ready Player One as a work, the kinds of films Spielberg is making these days, and more. We also dig into the new desert map in PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, and why Rob is playing so much Dead Rising 3.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/gydy8b/we-discuss-the-new-pubg-map-and-ready-player-one-on-waypoint-radio

I could be wrong but I think technically the new map is larger in terms of land mass. If you compare the two maps the play area is the same but the first map actually has a large amount of water when you think about it and while the new map does have water it’s not nearly as much as the first.

Patrick will be pleased to know that they have already confirmed a snowy mountainous map with a jungle is in the works.

Rob Zombie Minute

I’m kind of hesitant to pick up PUBG on console until I hear more thoughts about how it plays. I don’t have a PC that can play anything, so I play on consoles. Hopefully it will create a fun experience that I could maybe get into. After the deluge of people talking about PUBG since it came out, I’m still not really sure if it’s a game that I want to play?

DANG IT

rob-zombie-dragula-screenshot

I should have known someone beat me to this.

Sorry Not Sorry.

Well, Austin was first, but I don’t think he realized that.

I have almost no exposure to Ready Player One but I’m kind of curious to see it after all this uproar.

I read Ready Player One for a interactive media class in college and it just was too much for me. The only thing I remember from that novel is literal lists of media references from the 80s, and I never got over the feeling that arranged pieces of nostalgia were the core propping up the book. I’m only 25, so I didn’t experience a lot of the referential material first hand. Did anyone else have a similar impression of the book?

As someone who hasn’t read Ready Player One and is put off by the trailers, I’m trying to figure out why it doesn’t appeal to me when a similarly referential movie like Wreck-It Ralph is totally my jam. Perhaps it’s the fandom around RPO being centered around mindless consumerism? But then again Wreck-It Ralph is a Disney movie, literally the company that basically invented consumerism-as-culture. Maybe I just like cute CG characters?

But yeah, like Patrick said, it’s definitely a watch it on Netflix sort of film, and I even get to go to movies for free!

I hated the book. I have a lot of trouble with the idea that Cline is in his 40s, too. Grow the fuck up.

Wreck-It Ralph has heart, and explains itself reasonably well. It’s also well-written. Ready Player One is cynical, cloying, and worst of all, is intentionally poorly-written.

Between child-at-heart Austin and Yung Klepek, I love that Rob is the one with the absurdist takes on the send-offs at the end of Danielle-less episodes.

A friend of mine shared an essay on Ready Player One that pretty much nails what’s wrong with it:

I’m not above pandering to your audience, but what Ready Player One does is create a ring of prestige and exclusivity around the biggest demographic in pop culture: 40 something white dudes. Every reference, high-five moment and twist of the chosen one narrative is created to appeal to men who look, act and buy things like Ernest Cline. Cline’s work does not just offer the world to people who recognise an obvious Ghostbusters reference, it deifies them as gods among men, the heroes of our time whose only merits are those defined by stuff they own and things they watch.

Unfortunately, this is nothing new in geek culture, and indeed it’s been cultivated for many decades. The ‘true fans’ will always find a way to demand loyalty and cult-like devotion from those who just want to enjoy a movie or find a few hours of solace in a good book. Multi-billion dollar companies and studios understand this mentality all too well and encourage it through pre-sales, early bookings, loot boxes, convention attendances, hashtag campaigns and the never-ending reassurance that you too can be special if you just spend enough money on it.

As someone who is right in Cline’s target demographic, I gave up on RP1 about halfway through. That book is a big reason why I have actually turned against the nostalgia of my youth. It’s one of the reasons I was really hesitant to jump into Stranger Things, which turned out not to be the reference-fest I was afraid it would be (at least in S1. I haven’t watched S2 yet, out of the same fear).

My youth has been weaponized by the worst gatekeepers of the internet age. Why the fuck would I expect people 10 years younger than me to be reverential to Ghostbusters or Back to the Future? Sure, they’re fine films on their own, but they, like a lot of 80s material, have some incredibly problematic elements. Yet there is a significant section of the internet that considers them necessary preconditions to be considered a real Whatever.

As Patrick pointed out (secondhand, I think? I don’t remember who he was quoting) a lot of the same elements behind GamerGate, or at least those who treated GG credulously, are the ones who stand at these gates. Fuck you for using my childhood for your exclusionary practices.

I read RPO a few years ago and thought it was ok, then picked up his other book Armada in 2015, and found it extremely pandering. Not very well written either. I’m guessing the general atmosphere of nerd consumerist targeting the last…decade or so have severely reduced my tolerance for that kind of thing.
In the end, its healthy that people are reacting this way, I think. Austin touched on this in a podcast the other day, learning to interact with people in a non-materialistic way, having more in common than things you like.