We Finally Got Our Hands on 'Red Dead Redemption 2'

On Waypoint Radio 198, Austin and Rob are still living Subterfuge, Danielle is getting in to the Halloween spirit with some spooky indie horror games, and just about everyone is finally playing Red Dead Redemption 2. The team then dips into the question bucket to discuss the impulse to monetize or professionalize our hobbies, Danielle and Patrick make a quick and dirty list of their top 5 platformers, and we return to the Dishcourse to ask "What makes a good sandwich, contents or bread?"

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/bj4973/red-dead-redemption-2-podcast-impressions

Geez, I never even got that far with the lady trapped under her horse. In my case, Arthur got trapped in an animation loop because I guess I approached it at a bad angle? This game requires the accuracy of a Soviet sniper lady when you want to interact, it’s nuts.

And the unaccessibility is something I’ve been thinking about after I came across a hunter stuck in a bear trap. I had to put an actual effort into mashing X to free him, so I guess that dude is just fuckin dead if you don’t have full control of your fingers.

In the settings there is accessibility options that included mash assist, if I remember right its 3/4 button presses each actual press

I never got to see what happens with the lady trapped under the horse because I accidentally pressed R2 instead of L2 and shot her dead.

The R2 hipfire mechanic has been leaving a trail of murder and mayhem in my wake as I get used to these controls.

Last night I accidentally pressed R2 in front of my horse and I hauled off and punched her in the face. She defended herself, knocked me down, sent a crowd of people screaming for their lives. I’ve also accidentally brushed the R2 button in BACK of a horse and you slap it in the ass, resulting in a viscous defensive kick to my chest.

But it’s better than Arthur just randomly shooting the horse. I’m guessing people accidentally killing their horses came up too much in QA and they changed it.

She just says thanks and walks off.

I was worried for the longest time that these sporadic events would never be found again if I fucked them up, but I thankfully (And disappointingly kinda) ran into 3 repeats last night. One of which led to the EXACT same free gun reward just with a different NPC. That’s when you see the gears churning. I remember fucking up freeing a prisoner from his chains, shooting him in the leg instead by accident. I ended up roping him up and dropping him off to the sheriff, which got me like 15 bucks.

So, this isn’t explained ANYWHERE in the game, but you can go into duel mode at any time. Just lightly press on R2, let the dead eye gauge slowly draw over, and then draw to automatically go into dead eye. It’s really useful for when you get jumped, with a bunch of dudes pointing their guns on you.

Also, you can do a little flourish with your pistol when you double tap L1 to put your gun away.

I have a theory about the terrible UI that is so fuckin simple it belies the incredible amount of thought Rockstar pours into every other aspect of their games. It is that small UI shit shoved into the corners of the game is meant to stay out of the way of the cinematic experience of playing this (these) games; that surfacing that information front-and-center where players can see/read it while retaining focus on play would be to sully the moving image, so it should be kept out of sight because aesthetics come first. It’s the only thing that makes sense.

I also think it’s astonishing they have pushed their game model forward so astronomically far in the last 20 years and yet they still serve tooltips in fucking black rectangles. It’s heinous. It looks like shit