We Kick Off 2018 By Tackling The Question Bucket on Waypoint Radio

2018 is here! At least, it should be. This podcast description was written in 2017, so if something happens between now and then, apologies. Maybe it was the alien alloys? In any case, before everyone returns to the office and begins formulating another year of hot takes, Austin, Rob, and myself returned to The Question Bucket. Yes, we still have questions from more than a year ago. No, we didn't get to all of them. Sorry.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/mbpgx3/we-kick-off-2018-by-tackling-the-question-bucket-on-waypoint-radio

I’m sorry but peeps are the best!

I’m still not through the year-end podcasts but think this image necessitates me, uh, mixing up my order a little.

We don’t have peeps in the UK, so I went to Wikipedia to investigate…

"Peeps are sometimes jokingly described as “indestructible”. In 1999 scientists at Emory University jokingly performed experiments on batches of Peeps to see how easily they could be dissolved, burned or otherwise disintegrated, using such agents as cigarette smoke, boiling water and liquid nitrogen. In addition to discussing whether Peeps migrate or evolve, they claimed that the eyes of the confectionery “wouldn’t dissolve in anything”. One website claims that Peeps are insoluble in acetone, water, diluted sulfuric acid, and sodium hydroxide (the site also claims that the Peeps experimental subjects sign release forms). Concentrated sulfuric acid seems to have effects similar to the expected effects of sulfuric acid on sugar."
Wiki link

I think I’m good with not having peeps in the UK.

I have never liked peeps. It’s like eating pure sugar, but somehow even grittier. The texture of the super soft marshmallow giving way to the grinding of the outer sugar is just… shudder

I like my candies to either have a salty element to cut the pure sweet like peanut butter cups, or sour for the same effect. Things that are just sweet and nothing else I don’t really enjoy. It’s why I can’t stand peeps, creme eggs, gum drops, taffy, and the like.

I hear ya. Plain marshmallows I can deal with as long as they’re a topping on something like a hot chocolate. But straight-up and with whatever the hell is that crusty sugar stuff is? Nah, man. Also they kind of look like baby birds that have given up on life and are slowly melting into oblivion. It’s disconcerting. :neutral_face:

No need to apologize for your love of peeps!

There are two types of people in this world – those who love peeps, and those who have yet to try them!

Just catching up with the holiday podcasts and yay, I got plucked out of the bucket this week. (Jess from Europe)