We Love Lovecraft(But Not The Guy)

Lets all talk about some really cool cosmic horror!

My favorite Lovecraft story is The Call of Cthulhu (cliche, I know) The build up was insanely gripping and the climax of the story just stuck with me and affected me in a way that not many books do.

Edit: We only love his books in this thread! Probably should of had the foresight to lead with this, but unless its vital to the conversation lets try to leave his awful personal life out of this?!

I’ve never read any Lovecraft, even though I love some cosmic horror, because I was put off by his staggering racism!

I would appreciate any recommendations on where to start!

At the Mountains of Madness and The Call of Cthulhu are his two of his most popular works, and for a reason! It would probably be good to start there, especially since they are both relatively short reads.

And if those two interest you there are a ton of really cheap collections of most of his stuff out there!

Cheap and/or free, I think most of them are on wikisource/similar free websites. I remember looking up some of the short stories one time and a lot of them are freely available online.

Also, I’m not at all judging anyone that reads or enjoy’s Lovecrafts work! That’s just what put me off of it for so long.

Oh no its fine! I just didnt want this to turn into a “separate the art from the artist” thread. Yours was a perfectly valid response and I can see how it would put you off! It likely would have done the same to me had I learned of it earlier. I just feel there is a good way to celebrate these works, as important and influential to modern horror as they are, without delving too far into how not great of a man he was!

“The Colour Out of Space” was always really creepy to me, as well as “The Rats in the Walls”. I have a soft spot for “The Music of Erich Zahn” (not sure on the title of this one tbh) because it’s a contained little story of pure unknowable horror.

The Shadow over Innsmouth is one of my favorites and it hasn’t been mentioned yet. You can find a really great reading of it on iTunes here.

I’m not the most prolific reader of Lovecraft, but The Statement of Randolph Carter has always stuck out to me. It just seems to embody the simplicity of Lovecraft’s horror that I’ve always admired.

Innsmouth has been mentioned, as has Erich Zahn, so gonna vouch for Pickman’s Model. Love that one to bits and pieces.

Not directly Lovecraft, but I still maintain that Bloodborne is the best Lovecraftian video game ever made

I’m probably in a minority here, but Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath is my all time favorite Lovecraft story. The cosmic horror aspect takes a backseat and what we’re left with is just pure Lovecraftian world building. There’s a little bit of horror there, but most of it is focused on what lurks and occupies the world Lovecraft built. It touches on the old Gods and the new ones, eternal entities, and even some minor creatures like the Night Gaunts.

The ending was lacking, but I really loved the whole journey. It was a very refreshing take on fantasy for me after reading so many works copying Tolkien. Wish he had expanded on Kadath more than focusing on Randolph Carter.

To be fair, that would also put you off reading most thing written before the 1970s.

Oddly enough it was Austin’s recent critique of Lovecraft that made me realise how shitty he was. I genuinely didn’t know any of that awful stuff, despite being an English Lit major!

I do like his writing, and I’ve used Cthulhu (easy I know) to try and explain to kids how when you write, what you don’t say can be more powerful than what you do.

If you picked any writer from that era, they would all be pretty much just as racist. Not to say that he should get a pass on it or anything, he just shouldn’t be the only one held up on it.

I also quite liked The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle. I’ve always liked the atmosphere and dread a lot more than some of the roughness of the settings in Lovecraft tales, though.

If you’re looking for something spooky without all that, I’m going to shill for a second here and graciously point towards my own book:

(Mind you, it’s definitely not pure Lovecraft; but it’s crafted with love ~)

I dunno, I think, little Indian aside (which just suffers from an outdated name), Robert Louis a Stevenson came out quite well.

Assuming they were white… whriter

Well this is the other end of it, that only white writers were in a position to publish their work. Shitty stuff.

Oh I don’t know about it just having an outdated named.