We Talk Hideo Kojima, 'Imperator: Rome,' and Riot Games on Waypoint Radio

Today's podcast starts off course and then, somehow, takes an even more unexpected turn. Natalie brings us a live update fresh from her 6:30 AM showing of Avengers: Endgame and last week's Tribeca Film Festival Death Stranding panel. Rob whisks us way to the ancient world with Imperator: Rome. Then Austin and Patrick pause the podcast so that they can report a breaking story: the news that employees at Riot Games are threatening to walk out in protest of recently reported policies at the League of Legends developer. With that handled, the podcast returns for discussion of organized labor, classic gaming guilds, and, of course, everyone's favorite soda.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/evyxb4/we-talk-hideo-kojima-imperator-rome-and-riot-games-on-waypoint-radio
2 Likes

Bummed to hear Austin’s not gonna make it for the Save Point stream, but I’m still excited, lots of good suggestions for segments in the pinned thread.

woooow Rob’s story about the clan

6 Likes

I grew up in Southeastern Indiana and Cincinnati Chili is nasty. Not because of the spaghetti but because the chili sauce tastes like garbage.

1 Like

I want Death Stranding so bad to be a total scam. Really the whole project is a complex S&M relationship that Kojima and Norman Reedus have, where neither one can admit what is going on. Until one day the humiliation is too much and they break and admit their feelings and then run off to France or something. Sony is left holding a huge bill and Hideo and Normus live happily ever after exploring their sexuality.

3 Likes

rude of you not to have me on imo

2 Likes

I’ll be there, I’m just not going to be there at the very start!

9 Likes

This Death Stranding thing about being able to play as Sam and Norman makes me think that there will some weird gimmick. Like, at a certain point the game taps into a GoPro strapped to Norman Reedus’ head as he goes about his day.

2 Likes

For anyone looking for secure channels of communication:

1 Like

Oh, my b, I heard it like you weren’t gonna make it for the staff’s segment but would hang out in chat. Good to know!

So, secondhand story, but on the Regular Features Podcast aaages back Gav Murphy mentioned an early games job he had where he was working a boom mic on a sort of video interview thing of some sort(hazy on the deets), where Kojima was due to be interveiwed. I’m sure he had his reasons, but at some point this devolved into impatiently waiting for Kojima to show up, and time being passed by Gav straddling the boom mic as if it were his own Massive Donger, because we are all children at heart. Obviously, Kojima came into the room at this exact moment, resulting in an instant silence across the entire room. Followed by Kojima approaching the still Boom Mic straddling Gav, and giving the mic a cheeky little tug, with a grin.

Wish I knew what episode this story was told in so I could get the details better, but still. I feel this is relevant to the Implications of Reedus Dong discussion.

3 Likes

Seeing Gav’s name reminds me how he absolutely does not rate Reedus as an actor and is completely bewildered by Kojima’s choice in working with him.

1 Like

I’m so excited to see what Death Stranding becomes as games so rarely get this kind of moment whereas it happens all the time in movies, television, and music. We have the mythical auteur, cruelly and unjustly constrained by the faceless moneymen who know nothing of art and expression finally unfettering themselves and being granted the creative freedom to truly create the art they were always destined to make. It never fails to result in something truly fascinating, either because it was actually the truth and they go on to create amazing art, or you get an overindulgent clusterfuck that makes it clear that perhaps a strict editor was a necessity all along.

Death Stranding will be many things, but I sincerely doubt dull is going to be one of them.

1 Like