We Talk Madden, 'Total Warhammer,' and Uncharted on Waypoint Radio

There's also talk of our dark cyberpunk future.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/vbb7v4/we-talk-madden-total-warhammer-and-uncharted-on-waypoint-radio

I am bummed about no one talking about Hellblade.

a fun little bit of this podcast is Danielle specifying that Chloe is played by Claudia Black, which seems a bit odd until you remember Claudia Black was in Farscape.

As it kinda got talked about but not directly mentioned, it’s worth remembering that Microsoft were expected to release a new console with a subscription/rental hardware offer because they had actually already done that - initially via their own MS Stores and then with Best Buy and Gamestop.

Buying your hardware with a contract is already a thing that’s been tried recently, even with it being pushed as a platform-holder initiative (not just an independent chain of stores deciding to buy the hardware and make a profit from selling it with their own contract deals). We can probably take the lack of similar deals today as a sign of limited success 5 years ago.

the discussion of story-based madden made me really want an open world football rpg based on jon bois’ 17776

I’d be fairly amenable to some kind of contract for my consoles. As someone with a fairly transient relationship to my games, borne out of some difficult sells I had to make when I was younger, the idea of a only temporarily owning a console would be fine to me. That said, I agree with Zacny’s assessment that even a hypothetical high-end console would likely be conceivably within reach and would be pretty loathe to pay 10% interest to get a console sooner.

Now, if you suggested that game companies might rent consoles instead…