We Talk Nintendo and 'Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice'

Austin and Patrick recall their VICE Gaming's new podcast days and talk Nintendo Direct and their look at the new Fromsoft Samurai Soulslike, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

Discussed: Daemon Ex Machina, Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Fire Emblem: The Three Houses, Fortnight, Chance the Rapper, A bunch of indies, Overcooked 2, Killer Queen Black, Hollow Knight, Octopath Traveler, The World Ends with You, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

You can subscribe on iTunes, Google Play, and Stitcher. If you're using something else, this RSS link should let you add the podcast to whatever platform you'd like. If you'd like to directly download the podcast, click here. Please take a moment and review the podcast, especially on iTunes. It really helps.

Interaction with you is a big part of this podcast, so make sure to send any questions you have for us to gaming@vice.com with the header "Questions." (Without the quotes!) We can't guarantee we'll answer all of your questions, but rest assured, we'll be taking a look at them.

Have thoughts? Swing by Waypoint’s forums to share them!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/435bz3/e3-2018-nintendo-smash-bros-ultimate-sekiro

I had pretty much the exact same reaction to hearing the Breath of the Wild theme. No matter what context I hear it in it always chokes me up.

Is there any Waypoint playing Mario Party content?

Edit after listening a little more. I don’t think Wasteland 2 is as good as someone with nostalgia for that type of game has. It’s okay. The combat was challenging to me on easy. There was one time while playing on normal I thought the game was cheating but that’s just my opinion. The story is just a video game story. I feel like the water mechanic is unnecessary especially in the last half of the game. Some of the factions are kinda basic. They aren’t all that fleshed out and a lot of the portraits for female characters are bad. Like the graphics quality is bad but this is a sexist kind of bad. I actually kinda want to write a review of Wasteland 2 even though it’ll be poorly written but I just want to try it out.

The public library has started blocking Waypoint podcasts for me, can’t play them or download them, anybody know if there’s a way around that?

Depends, how are you downloading them? Using your phone or computer, or a library computer? A VPN should do the trick. There are apps for phones, chrome extensions and all sorts of other options.

As a librarian, I find that horrifying! It sounds like their filter is way too restrictive. One of the worst things about libraries putting filters on their internet connections is false positives like this. It might be worth emailing the library with the URL and asking them to unblock it.

My guess is that the word “vice” (or some other blacklisted term) shows up in the page code or URL somewhere and that’s tripping the content filter. I had a similar problem a few years back where a blog I read called “Hacking Library School” was blocked by my public library - it turns out the word “hack” was tripping the filter. I emailed them about it and they eventually unblocked it.

I’m so hyped that more people will get to check out Hollow Knight now that it’s coming to Switch. I don’t usually go in for souls-likes, but this game had some special sauce that kept me hooked. Easily one of my favorite games from last year.

The art is so gorgeous and they really nailed that Souls feel of skimming the surface of a dead world’s story in a way that makes you want to dig deeper and know more.

I loved what I managed to uncover of the lore. I really want to go back and dig deeper, so this should be the perfect opportunity for that.