Weather Systems Took on a New Meaning in 2018

Welcome to Waypoint's End of Year celebration! This year, we're digging deep into our favorite games with dedicated podcasts, interviewing each other about our personal top 10 lists, and reflecting on the year with essays from the staff and some of our favorite freelance contributors. Check out the entire package right here!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/3k9mvv/weather-systems-took-on-a-new-meaning-in-2018

I recently moved from Los Angeles to the Hudson Valley in New York. I made this move for a lot of reasons: I didn’t need to be in LA for work, my partner can work remotely from anywhere, and the price just to be alive is so much more manageable.

At the same time, I think a big part of the move for me was to try to hold on to the seasons while I still can, before it’s too late.

This might be an overreaction, but I know confronting situations like these can be pretty difficult for folks. If you ever need it, the Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255.

I live in the Southeast US and this “winter” has been indistinguishable from the weather in, like, September or October. There was a week or so where it got cold, but it’s been hovering in the 40’s and 50’s throughout December. It’s so wild. I have relatives who lost their home in the wildfires around Gatlinburg a few years back. That was in the fall I think?

The thought of game worlds transitioning from tourism to a memorial is… tough.