What Are Your 'Someday' Games?

Open Thread is where Waypoint staff talk about games and other things we find interesting. This is where you'll see us chat about games, music, movies, TV, and even sports, and welcome you to participate in the discussion.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/8xbx5v/what-are-your-someday-games

For me it would probably be Pandemic Legacy if only because I don’t have a consistent gaming group and that limits when and how frequently I can play a legacy game. Really want to play it though!

My aim is set pretty low for this one. Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2.

Warframe, probably. I have a few friends who keep trying to get me to play it, and a high-mobility shooter is very much my thing, but I keep balking at the time investment as I look at my library of indie games all shouting “play meeeeeee…”

For me, what this question evoked is not a game that I am scared to get into, but a few very difficult games I would very much like to master but realistically I do not have the time to invest. My list of games I would really like to 100%, but probably never will:

• Crypt of the Necrodancer
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Dustforce

I will say D:OS2 is a much easier hurdle if you have three others to play with. I had no interest in playing the game solo, but with a full crew, it feels like the best parts of a crunchy tabletop game!

Or is finding the crew the hurdle?

Most of mine are old RPGs that I’m not sure I’d have the patience for in 2018. Games like Ultima VII, Betrayal at Krondor, Realms of Arkania, Temple of Elemental Evil and Daggerfall all sound like games I’d love, but given how much quality of life improvements are in the latest string of modern RPGs like Divinity: Original Sin, I’m not sure I’d be able to go back.

I keep telling myself that I’m going to go back and actually finish the Witcher 3. Too many other good games just keep popping up though. But one day I will, hopefully sometime before Cyberpunk 2077 though lol.

Video games wise, definitely Dwarf Fortress. It feels intimidating just to setup let alone start playing, but a game that simulates myths? Count me in…eventually.

On the tabletop side of things I’ve been dying to play a consistent game of DnD (pick your game, DnD is just shorthand here) but less eager friends with bad schedules get in the way of that.

I think I would love a lot of the deep strategy games that are out there — Paradox games and the like — but I wish I would have given them a try before having a kid.

Now, the time investment to get into and really learn those games seems like too much. Plus, now I’d have to find a space in my Brooklyn apartment that’s childproof enough that I can leave a computer set up…

maybe not exactly in the spirit of the question, but i’ve been dreaming about having the time and resources to play a full 4-player co-op run of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles ever since i was in middle school. where do you even find gba link cables these days

Probably some of the old text-based top-down WRPGs like Planescape: Torment or Neverwinter Nights or even some of the old Ultimas. Pretty much the only WRPG I’ve ever played is the Witcher 3 (I’m a JRPG gamer myself) and I don’t know how I’d react to those old systems but I’ve been curious about them for awhile. Maybe I’ll jump on Shadowrun bandwagon soon enough.

Another game on my “someday, when I’m rich” (as if) list is Panzer Dragoon Saga, since owning it requires a huge investment in money. It’s one of those legendary great JRPGs - and features what I consider to be the single greatest musical track in all of video games https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhAAYJNQZ_k - but it’s like impossible to own.

Also the original Nier I’d play if they ever port it to the PS4. I just don’t feel like dusting off my PS3 for anything anymore.

Finally, these have been on my list for a decade: Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2. I actually pulled the trigger on these and bought them off Amazon in 2013 but the order got cancelled. Never went back again.

As someone who was dorky enough to get 3 friends to plow through that stupid game over the course of a weekend when it came out, it really is worth it if you can wrangle together the ridiculous requirements. But alas, not being a teenager has really lowered the chances of me replicating such an experience.

As for me, I’d love to get back into tabletop roleplaying, but I just can’t find enough people who are a) interested, and b) tolerable on a basic social level.

Mostly the classics that passed me by and are too long for a quick jaunt: Arcanum, Fallout: New Vegas, the Geneforge series. I’m deliberately holding out on Pillars of Eternity 2 - experience has taught me that Obsidian games are best when they’re content-complete. And yeah, Divinity: Original Sin 2’s up there on the list of games I really, really want to play but lack the time.

Mostly PC-only 3D games such as Quadrilateral Cowboy. Even low-spec 3D games run poorly on my system.

Also there’s Alpha Protocol.

LITERALLY ANY FIGHTING GAME. I dream of the day I can show up to a local tournament, make a huge splash, and ride it all the way to EVO and get the big prize. But the complexity of even the simplest fighting game, combined with my short attention span and full time job, means my chance to truly get That Good at fighting games likely ended the moment I got my high school diploma. Not to mention, none of my friends are particularly interested in getting really good at fighting games, and what’s a journey towards improvement and mastery without a rival to push you forwards? Still, I can dream… and continue to be a mash-it-out scrub, of course.

every time i start the witcher i get halfway through the tutorial and say “i’m going to come back to this when i have time to give it a real go” but let’s be real that’s never ever going to happen

The length and reading involved were their own obstacles, but you’ve introduced another, still higher one!

In tabletop gaming, I’d probably go with Hero Games’ insanely crunchy and accounting-oriented superhero roleplaying game, Champions. Whichever the latest edition is, at least in part due to the recent nostalgia trip I’ve been taking with systems I used to play a lot of in the '90s. It was never a game you could run or play (or even make characters for) without investing many hours of hard brainwork, and while the quality of the outcome didn’t always live up to that investment, I still find it easy to get fixated on how the mechanics attempt to do everything at once.

someday, definitely someday, i will take whatever time is necessary to learn how to play EU and Crusader Kings and all those other easy-to-pick-up Paradox games. Someday…