What 'classic' film do you think everyone should see?

Please, don’t insult our taste.

The only truly necessary film is Spy Kids 4: All the Time in the World in 4D Aroma-Scope.

Transformers: The Movie. It’s a film that is facinating in it’s cultural context, as a toy commerical that went so far above and beyond what a toy commerical had any right to be that it completely failed as a toy commercial. And it’s legit so good a watch. Animation is very much of it’s time, but the background art can be stellar, especially in Unicron’s interior. Some of the sci-fi concepts are wild for a kids show, to say nothing of the mad plot decisions you’d think would be impossible to get greenlit. And good LORD the soundtrack, absolute all-timer. The Good Shit.

RoboCop. I’ve said this countless times in other threads, but I love this film. It has a terribly corny name and silly premise, but is a near flawless satire of Reagan-era economic policy. It’s ultra-violent and has some of the most fun one-liners, even if they are designed to mock the idea of “one-liners”. Once again, if you’ve never seen the original RoboCop, do yourself a favor.

Rian Johnson, director of a really small film called Star Wars: The Last Jedi, wrote and directed another film that came out in 2006 called Brick. It’s a neo-noir detective story set in a high school. The dialogue is really slang-heavy and it drips with atmosphere and style in a confluence of ideas I haven’t encountered before or since. I guess it also helps that I saw it at the tender age of “insufferable college freshman” but I really do think it’s worth a watch. A personal favorite of mine. I guess you could file this under “cult-classic” though.

I’d also like to mention Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind but I’m not sure if it still holds up. I saw it around the same time that I saw Brick, so past me is probably totally off-base, but he would like to say that he thought that movie was a brilliantly sad and pathetic love story so take from that what you will. There’s also something to be said about the special effects and dream sequences there too. I’m gonna go now. Bye.

Absolutely one of my favorites if not THE ONE.

Edit: I’m talking about it being my favorite, not making a reference to Jet Li’s The One, which is not a film that belongs in this thread.

Spy Kids 2: Island of Lost Dreams includes the following line, said by Steve Buscemi, which makes it the superior Spy Kids:

“Do you think God stays in Heaven because he, too, lives in fear of what he’s created here on Earth?“

It might be the wrong time of year, but if you’re up for the Frenchest of romances, I love the musical The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. Beautifully shot, vibrant colors, and a heartbreaking score. (Ever see the episode of Futurama with Fry’s dog? That song at the end is from this movie.)

(Sorry for making everyone cry.)

Other older classics: I second the mentions of the Kurosawa catalog and 12 Angry Men. The entire Hitchcock filmography is excellent, but one that doesn’t always get mentioned is Rope, an early milestone in Children of Men-style long-take editing (with a queer-centric subtext that was rare for its time). And if you want to go really old, it’s worth seeing at least a couple of Charlie Chaplin movies – City Lights is my favorite, especially since one of my modern favorites, WALL-E, pays it direct homage.

WALL-E is a pretty important movie for me in general, actually. Other modern favorites: O Brother Where Art Thou, Groundhog Day (a really formative movie for my personal spirituality, weirdly enough – I love the concept of eternal progression), and Gattaca (it’s not the deepest sci-fi film in the world, but I adore its design, cinematography, and Michael Nyman’s score).

Children of Men.

A somewhat overlooked science-fiction classic and one of the best film works of the genre. The less you know about it going in, the better. Seriously, try not to even read any blurbs or the back of the box. Reasons I recommend it as a classic…

• Realistic dystopia in visuals and themes that we’re getting closer and closer to. Dirty high-tech aesthetic, a world that was evolving and stopped.
  • Great curated and in-world music choices
  • Great pace
  • The best extended takes in any movie, ever. Fight Me.
  • ^ related: Jaw-dropping setpiece after setpiece you won’t believe they got into one take
  • Characters you can love, and hate, very strongly
  • Everyone in the cast and crew was extremely passionate about making it. Star Clive Owen actually became a writer on the project because the director Alfonso Cuaron liked his ideas and insight so much.
  • Michael Caine may be remembered as lots of characters to everyone, but he’ll always be Jasper to me.
  • Improves on the literature it is based on.

I don’t think there is any other piece of media that is more my shit, stylistically, than Children of Men.

I ADORE Brick. Can’t believe I left if off.

Magnetic Rose. By far one of the best science fiction movies ever made.

Alao while im at it, Haneke’s original Funny Games. A well thought out and pretty vicious satire on Hollywood’s home invasion / survival thriller movies.

Dr. Strangelove. Not only is every cinematic element of it fantastic, but it’s more or less about how if you put nuclear weapons in the hands of narcissistic, sexually-frustrated men, they’re probably going to blow up the world. For a film that’s over half a century old, it’s scarily relevant.

Holy Motors which is AMAZING
it’s so good y’all

(link is to some video criticism of it which contains spoilers, but the video itself does a pretty good job of warning you off if you haven’t seen it)

I mean for serious:

Hello, this is a very personal list but I’ve got six here from six different countries.

Chungking Express (1994) (dir Wong Kar-wai) -
I first saw this in a class when I was 18 and it is the movie that got me into movies. The style is very poetic and full of energy, and it’s a touching meditation on love and attachment. I’m not much of a romantic, but this movie gets me every time. My personal greatest of all time. And really, everything Wong did up through 2046 is a classic worthy of your time.

Linda Linda Linda (2005) (dir Nobuhiro Yamashita) -
It’s a recent discovery, but I’ve seen this movie twice in the last year and it’s quickly become one of my favorites. Certainly my favorite high school movie at this point and also a great movie about being in a band. The story is simply about a group of high school girls forming a band to perform some cover songs for a school festival. The setting is very much foreign to me, but even then it feels universally relatable in its pitch-perfect depiction of that end of high school malaise. A very charming film.

Millenium Mambo (2001) (dir Hou Hsiao-hsien) -
This movie affected me in a way I hadn’t felt in a long time. I think it’s one of those moments where I saw it at just the right time in my life where I was doing a similar sort of reflection as the film. It’s framed simply with a little voice over as the main character reflecting on a chaotic period in her life ten years ago and is a brilliant expression of how we remember things. Nothing plays out linearly and there’s not really enough there to put a full timeline together. Small details stand out in memory, while big moments can’t quite be grasped. Everything in the film is as ephemeral as our own memories.

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972) (dir Luis Buñuel) -
Buñuel has been one of my favorite directors for a long time and this is the one I’ve most recently re-watched. He’s a Spanish surrealist who spent most of his life working outside Spain in exile once the fascists took over. His style is not a subtle one and his usual targets are the wealthy and the church. This film is about a group of wealthy couples attempting to have dinner while their plans are repeatedly ruined. The whole thing is surreal and filled with dream sequences and there’s not a lot of narrative to hold on to, but it is brilliant satire that even without a ton of specific context works very well today. See also The Exterminating Angel

Hellzapoppin’ (1941) (dir H. C. Potter) -
Hellzapoppin’ is a completely hilarious self-aware deconstruction of the studio musical of that era. It’s a lot like Airplane. Ole Olsen and Chic Johnson are a pair of vaudeville comedians making a movie and taking aim at anything and everything in the genre. There’s one brief moment in the middle where they take a break to appreciate some real athletic talent on-screen but otherwise it is non-stop gags from start to finish. Not all of them hit but the pace is dizzying and it’s a ton of fun all the way through.

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover (1989) (dir Peter Greenaway) -
As brutal a takedown of Thatcher/Reagan style politics as anything on film. It can be a tough watch in places but totally worth it in my mind. I don’t want to just say the politics are newly relevant now because the nastiness on display has been here the whole time, it never went away. This is also a very good looking film (with some very ugly content). I love the theatrical presentation of the main set, with the camera moving left and right between the kitchen and restaurant. The different rooms come in and out of view like lighting different parts of a stage.

And I’ll second the previous mentions of Do the Right Thing, Hard Boiled, Ikiru, Dr. Strangelove,Seven Samurai, and F for Fake.

I saw a couple letterboxd links above so here’s mine if anyone cares. Not much of a writer but I’m trying to get my thoughts actually written down more.

Ehh As Tears Go By is ok, but it’s definitely skippable in light of his later stuff.

It’s so good! I’m also a huge fan of Looper so I guess I generally consider myself a Rian Johnson fan.

The Brothers Bloom is…a perfectly fine afternoon movie to watch that you maybe don’t need to own a copy of.

As Tears Go By is worth it just to get Take My Breath Away in Cantonese. Maybe classic is overstating it though, yes. But I re-watched it recently and really enjoyed its variation on the heroic bloodshed model. I think it manages to stand on its own as more than just historically interesting as Wong Kar-wai’s first film. It should probably be put I guess (along with Ashes of Time) as best if you like the genre it’s experimenting with.

Both Looper and Brick are kind of litmus tests for me. I almost wish that Looper had more of Brick’s noir sensibilities in terms of dialogue, but I love it for basically everything else it does.

Fargo. It’s a movie all about the small details for me really. It’s the best of the coen bros. style of movie “simple plan goes horribly awry” and i think a lot of that is owned to just making this place feel very lived in. It took me 2 viewings for it to really click with me but ever since then i’ve watched it every year!

I think partly due to its age, partly because of its earliness in WKW’s career, what bugs me about ATGB is the lower production values relative to his other stuff.

Aw, don’t give away the best part at first glance! :joy: