What 'classic' film do you think everyone should see?

The 1945 version of And Then There Were None is really good and probably one of my favorite movies of all time.

The original Balto from '98.
The forced sequels are ass, but the original is a genuine classic and one of my favourite childhood films. It stumbles a bit on its jokes, but is lovingly shot and hits hard on its dramatic notes.
Hey, it could just be nostalgia, but for me it has held up on every re-watch.

I’m not a big film guy, I enjoy a lot of them, but I’m not used to the language of film and film discussion as I am with games, plus my personal library of film is limited so it’s sometimes hard to find stuff to recommend that isn’t already well known, recent, or popular.

Uh, wow. When I made this thread, I didn’t expect to have to annotate down over eighty great film recommendations the next day! Glad to see folks so keen.

@2Mello Unfortunately, I already took down most of the recommendations… and I may as well start as I mean to go on :wink: (but thank you so much for putting that all together!) I do intend to make good on my promise to start making my way through the films, as I have a ton of material to start working through now.

To flip the script and pose a contribution of my own (although one that’s pretty out-of-step with my general tastes), I think It Follows is a fantastic modern horror movie. I’m someone who simultaneously loves, and is repulsed by, horror films, and It Follows managed to cut right through to me and leave me with a shiver in my spine for the next few days. While there’s elements of it that don’t totally work (and its recent age raises question about ‘classic’), it’s probably my favourite horror film.

Raiders of the Lost Ark. It’s simply a perfect action/adventure movie. It spans 5 countries, but never loses focus. Every scene builds on the one before it, as things grow more interesting, more exciting, scarier, funnier.

The film is more subtle in its subversion of cliches and conventions so stereotypical of the genre, however. Indiana Jones is nothing like what we expect a leading man in a blockbuster, much less an action hero, to be. He has no background in combat or heroism, he’s a university professor who only knows how to defend himself because people keep trying to rob and kill him. He’s a coward, best known for is fear of snakes, and the famous scene where he shoots the sword-fighter. You can see the exhaustion in Harrison Ford’s eyes, because he did all his own stunts in the movie. He looks like the average person would look if they had to do in real life the things actions heroes do in movies.

This continual exasperated expression that seems to say “Do I have to?” helps the film avoid glorifying violence to the same extent so many other action films do. Indiana Jones is no badass, he’s a single somewhat wimpy guy going against an army in a desperate attempt to stop the Nazis from weaponizing the very wrath of God. His love interest flirts with the villain. It helps that the villain is the one guy in the whole movie more cowardly than Indiana Jones. I don’t think he every directly commits an act of violence against anyone in that whole movie. But he’s got an army behind him, and Indiana Jones just barely survives every new challenge. Then, at the final confrontation between the hero and villain, which in any other action movie would be a huge fight scene, Indiana Jones triumphs over the Nazis by standing still and closing his eyes It’s one of the few actions movies in which knowledge saves the world, rather than violence.

such a good moment omg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcTv-BEwabk

Thanks @2Mello for your link to a Waypoint community suggested movies list on letterboxd. Definitely bookmarked. As for another film to recommend, I’ll delve into Korean movies.

Taegukgi, a movie about the Korean War as experienced by two brothers forced into serving the South Korean Army. It is classic in that it is extremely visceral, showing that war is the same no matter where it is fought – ruthless and unforgiving. Its production value and aesthetic is on par with the likes of Saving Private Ryan which is extremely difficult to achieve. A movie that was produced in 1998 vs this Korean 2004 film is so very similar in depth that it is counted as a classic in Korean movies.

This thread is good.

Without spoiling the plot I’ll say “The Usual Suspects” (1995) is a pretty sweet movie about crime and mystery~. It hits you hard over the head though, so it’s pretty easy watching.

I love mr. K. Spacey.

I recommend reading Roger Ebert’s review. He makes some fair points against it that are really hard to ignore. I remember kind of liking it as a teenager, but then eventually fell off the bandwagon.

this is awkward.

Oh I somehow forgot the best anime / AMV / music video of all time: Interstella 5555

(do not under any circumstances at me)

I’ve been thinking about movies that I love that I don’t think have been mentioned yet:

Harold and Maude (dir. Hal Ashby): Just a really heartfelt, genuine romance/comedy with music by Cat Stevens.

Black Christmas (1974) (dir. Bob Clark): A pre-Halloween Canadian slasher flick that informed the genre pretty heavily.

Miami Connection (dir. Y. K. Kim, Robert W. Park): This movie is fucking terrible, but I love it to death. Also The Room is on the list so I don’t see why we can’t have more beautiful train wrecks on here.

Brazil (dir. Terry Gilliam): A depressing vision of the future in which life can be changed by a fly hitting a typewriter wrong. Stylistically beautiful.

There’s so much good stuff — that I’ve seen and now want to see — on this list! Thanks @2Mello for compiling the Letterboxd list. I haven’t spent much time there for a couple of years, but this inspires me to give it another good visit.

I’ll add a couple-few that I think are worthwhile on a very idiosyncratic classics list:

• The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension: just weird, and fun, and populated by its own entire universe, which I’m a sucker for.
  • The Princess Bride: All the quotable lines aside, this is just a lovely and funny movie with so many wonderful performances.
  • Treasure of the Sierra Madre: I have a memory of watching this movie with my dad, both of us rapt. It’s brilliant.
  • To Kill a Mockingbird: Gregory Peck is so good.

Well, I have to agree with your other additions as well. I’m really glad the Cloverfield movies exist.

I consider myself a pretty cultured individual, but I’ve still ended up with huge blind spots in my viewing history. To reiterate what some other folks have said and add my own:

• I saw The Matrix for the first time this year, expecting it to be entirely simplistic and dated, but it is still exceptional.

• Citizen Kane is amazing, of course. It’s cliche to list it, and that fact has (my experience) created a large backlash to its mention in these conversations, but it is utterly fascinating.

• Hoo, boy. Network is one of my favorite films of all time. It is a masterpiece of screenwriting on all levels.

• The Conversation is a damn treasure, another one of the greatest things I’ve ever seen. It’s the kind of film I kept thinking about for weeks after I saw it. If I were more well versed on Coppola, I’d say it’s his best.

Next on the list of blind spots to eliminate: Blade Runner and Apocalypse Now.

EDIT: Just read all the responses and saw someone wondering whether Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind still holds up. Answer: absolutely yes. It’s my all-time favorite and I seen it every year for the past 8 years.

Hoop Dreams.

At this time in America, it might be nice to watch a real American dream story, one that’s not romanticized or whitewashed. This film was supposed to be a 30-minute PBS special but the subjects, two teenagers from Illinois trying to go pro in the NBA, are so interesting that it ballooned into a 3-hour documentary film most consider to be one of the best of all time. If you’re not interested in basketball, don’t worry–that’s just the jumping-off point, and I assure you, it’s a valuable watch.

Such a good documentary. I have a close group of friends that have been watching a documentary every Thursday for the past year and a half. For the first year, we ranked every movie based on how we personally liked it. Hoop Dreams was pretty close to the top of that list. Such a great undertaking, too, because they filmed for years. I can’t imagine the hurdle of editing that film.

Hoop Dreams reminded me of another of my favorite sports Documentary, Senna, which is about F1 Racer Ayrton Senna. Beautiful shot, really well constructed, with a heartbreaking story about a very charismatic figure.

Senna is pretty good. It’s also interesting because it’s such a different style of documentary film-making. Hoop Dreams directly interviews the people involved and the narrative follows them throughout the years. Senna is comprised of pre-existing footage with audio interviews after the fact. Definitely recommend checking them both out.

I think Kubrick’s Paths of Glory is often overlooked, despite its pedigree. I’m by no means a war movie connoisseur, but Paths does a great job of using war as a setting to explore deeper human themes. Also, it’s about WWI, which doesn’t get as much cinematic attention as the Hitler thing.

I keep meaning to watch this and somehow now getting to it. Bumping it up the list, now.