What do health potions taste like?

Well? These things are everywhere in games. When we slurp down one of these things, what exactly is the flavor?

5 Likes

also, potion seller is of course relevant (cw distorted faces)

5 Likes

I imagine it depends, right? A good ol’ fashioned apothecary potion probably tastes like a really bitter herbal tea with a little sugar to help it go down.

Something really magical probably tastes like whatever the imbiber wants. Something that makes them comfortable. Like salted caramel hot chocolate or a good draft root beer.

3 Likes

Watermelon white claw

4 Likes

the reds once def taste like yucky cherry flavored medicine

10 Likes

cranberry send post

2 Likes

Peeps sprinkled with ground up aspirin.

2 Likes

shoot, if they taste like peeps, I’ll be drinking them things all day

Dragon Age has “prophet’s laurel” and “embrium” (an orchid) as the ingredients in a health potion. So I imagine it’s a bitter laurel masked by a sweeter orchid. It probably smells nice at least and according to Inquisition’s codex, embrium’s scent can treat respiratory disease.

There’s also an “elfroot” and lotus recipe but I can’t find what elfroot is supposed to be.

4 Likes

A horrible mixture of Herbal or Green Tea but the tea was steeped in Monster Energy that both invigorates and decimates.

5 Likes

Health potions are stored in the… flask. So.
You know.

4 Likes

Blood.

It’s a red liquid that gives you health? Sounds like magic blood to me.

1 Like

i had never thought about this before but after a brief think, i’m permanently sure that they are a) all very carbonated and b) all alcoholic

so… champagne. or prosecco. i’ll go with that

2 Likes

Anise. Like all things good in life

2 Likes

If we base it on Skyrim, as I do all things in my life, it can either taste like a nice honey brioche bun or it’s like an Old Fashioned, if the sugar cube was a cat’s eyeball, the bitters were swamp juice, and the orange-peel twist was just a whole dragonfly.

7 Likes

The flavour is kind of a cross between antidote and revival potions.

2 Likes

Not sure if you’re meant to ingest them or just apply them to your wounds, but I figure that the grounded up herbs in Resident Evil games have to be kinda good. No idea why, but in my head red herbs are tasty since you always mix them with the other herbs.

In Dark Souls, ‘estus’ (as derived from ‘aestus’ meaning heat) is a little piece of the bonfire’s flame, warming and restoring the undead who imbibes it. This feeling of how warmth revives the body could apply to lots of other potions, though without the literal warmth. I imagine those red health potions you see in lots of games have a peppery taste to them, the kind of thing that can be described as ‘spicy’ while not tasting like actual chilli. I also imagine them to have a syrupy texture too, and that there’d be a secondary market rinsing the residue out of discarded potion bottles to sell to other NPCs.

For those clear blue health potions you see in Final Fantasys and other games, I imagine they taste like electrolyte drink with a bit of hand sanatiser mixed in.

In Witcher 3, all the potions are brewed with alcohol, and they must have some homeopathic effect, 'cos every time Geralt rests he just tops them all up with the strongest alcohol he’s carrying.

3 Likes

The videogame potions I use the most are probably Pokemon ones, which are meant to be spray-on to wounds… so probably not great. The potions in Terraria are made from mushrooms, so maybe like a nice cream of mushroom soup?

Remember when you were a kid and you had a cold and your mom would give you that sweet pink milky medicine? That stuff.

4 Likes