What do you think is the weirdest/most awkward noise voice actors have to make in the studio for video games?

Some old alien game I remember playing (but can’t remember what system it was on) had a death screen with an animation of the player character dying and the most sexual death sound I’ve ever heard in my life. I actually felt weird playing it in my room while still living at home with my parents.

I mean that’s probably top 3 of awkward noises VA’s make or are told to make, whether it’s an actual love making scene, weird grunts and pants from player actions like sprinting or jumping, or similar intimate (or intimate sounding) noises.

One thing that’s probably a lot of fun to make is the Metal Gear style “huah?” noises.

2 Likes

There was a GDC audio track talk about voice acting that I thought was on the free vault, but I’m having trouble locating it. The actress did a live reenactment of the lines she did for Splicers in Bioshock, and it was so ridiculous and hilarious to see her perform behind a conference mic. She started out with, “So here’s the sound they make when they’re lit on fire and burning to death”. So I guess anything like that is awkward and fun :stuck_out_tongue:

The one I always wonder about is the throat gasp in anime and anime-styled games (edit: like Link in Zelda or Smash). Whenever I watch anime with friends and there’s a throat gasp we always spend a minute mimicking it. You know the thing I’m talking about. The gulpy throat gasp.

3 Likes

There was an interview with David Hayter about Metal Gear Solid 3 (I think) where he said that when he was making vomiting sounds he actually threw up in the booth. I think that wins for most awkward VO experiences.

2 Likes

I have never been able to figure out how Arthur’s VA was able to make this sound: https://youtu.be/Bj6V11ebZBM

1 Like

this is the one i came here to say

1 Like

I just finished Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice tonight and watched the little video featurette afterwards that includes a clip of Senua’s voice actress recording motion capture and VO of Senua’s tortured screaming, just like, on the floor in the middle of a room at the office. How do you scream like that and have it not be goofy or awkward? How do you know the appropriate volume to scream at? It really is a talent, and she certainly has it.

It’s that initial gasp and the sustained distorted breathing/minor yelping/prolonged gasp that follows. If it follows.

4 Likes

I’ve always wondered about the throat straining thing they do in DBZ whenever they’re nervous or amazed at something.
2019-02-19_11-58-42
“kh-k-k-kh-”
Feels like it’s just there to have something.

2 Likes

I remember being a embarrassed playing the old Tomb Raider games when my parents were in the room, and have Lara do this weirdly exaggerated grunts and groans when pulling herself up a ledge or using a medpack :neutral_face:

There’s a segment in the NoClip doc about Bethesda where their sound designer talks about the first time he did a recording session. He had all the lines in an Excel spreadsheet… in alphabetical order. So, the VAs had to do all of the dozens of different hi’s and hello’s back-to-back. He changed that system for future games.

1 Like

The Batman & Robin Movie Videogame which I’m not 100% sure was actually voice acting, but when Batman got hit it sounded like he was cumming

Any tomb raider actress ever.
(Skip to 2 minutes)

2 Likes

Literally any female character getting hit in any fighting game.

“Make it sound like you’re being stabbed to death… but make it sexy.”

Old King Doran’s death scream from Demon’s Souls is a pretty weird one. I’m really curious what kind of noise they told the VA to make that resulted in… whatever that noise is.

any “mouth full” talking or noises in a horny game, none of which I have ever played, obviously

do they just… stick their fist in their mouth? or is it Pure Acting

1 Like

Maybe not the weirdest, and obviously there’s a lot of post-production here, but the energy the Splatoon VAs bring is amazing to me. I can barely speak normal words, they’re out here singing gibberish.

3 Likes

I can’t find the video, but Camilla Luddington, who voices Lara Croft in the TR reboot trilogy was at some point demonstrating how she mimics near drowing by drinking from a water bottle and making herself choke on it :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Samorost III is 100% nonverbal, but is still 100% voiced. I like the Little Devils.

1 Like