What game are you playing?

I finished Thumper this evening and damn is that game intense. I don’t know if I’d recommend it to everyone but it was really cool how much it played with rhythm and music serving mechanics rather than the other way around.

One cool thing about it (that plenty of other folks on the internet have pointed out) is that the time signature corresponds to the level number. Levels 1 & 2 are in 2/4, level 3 is in 3/4, 4 is in 4/4, and then it starts getting wild with 5/8, 6/8, 7/8, etc. Makes for really tricky but rewarding rhythm shenanigans.

Also, playing it in VR really adds to the intensity of it. I wish its difficulty was a bit more malleable, but it clicked for me and I had an absolute blast. Don’t think I’m hardcore enough for the “+” levels, but that’s fine because I already got a ton out of it.

I’m playing Alien Isolation because I never really gave it a chance once I got to the part where you actually have to play a game and not just gawk at how everything look like Alien. I’m maybe a couple of hours in?

I had a truly incredible and disappointing experience with the game last night. When I entered one of the transport lobbies I heard a hiss that sounded real xenomorphy, so I hid in the nearest closet. No alien showed up, but a thick-set dude walked past my closet. As soon as he passed, I popped out and pressed R2 expecting some sort of custom takedown animation. Instead, Ripley has a vicious swing on the maintenance jack that connects behind this guy’s ear and he drops like a sack of potatoes. I have about a second to survey the limp corpse of this stranger before the game fails me, saying I can’t hurt allies or civilians.

It was such a betrayal of the vibe the game was putting out there. But goddamn, it felt like I was in that situation, cornered and lashing out at a perceived threat.

Currently on the Hollow Knight wagon. At 99%, and think I’ll try for 112%.

It controls real well for the most part, and I’ve been fairly impressed at how it tells its story. Somehow they managed to take the silent protagonist trope that runs around and swings a sword at most things really work narratively.

Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune is a truly awful game in 2019. It’s hard to imagine it being even passable in 2007, but Uncharted is one of Sony’s most successful franchises, so I suppose it was.

The constant puzzle platforming is floaty and you’ll often die at least once before you figure out a solution, I was constantly getting ambushed by enemies who’d obliterate me immediately, Nathan Drake sucks to control, as do the weapons, and the story is a totally tepid, tonal mess. The only reason I don’t give it less than a 3 out of 10 is because it’s technically a functional product.

I really hope the rest of the series fares better.

Keep in mind that Uncharted came out at a time when the PS3 was desperate for anything to differentiate itself from the cheaper Xbox 360. Its exclusives consisted of the likes of Haze and Lair, with MGS4 still a year away. Having a (for its time) good looking game with a combat system that looked like Gears of War if you squinted was more than enough for PS3 owners to fawn over. Lucky for you, though, Uncharted 2 is much improved. It’s still pretty dated by today’s standards, but boy does it have some fun set pieces.

As I occasionally dip in to slog my way through the last non-epilogue chapter of RDR2, for the most part my wife and I have been playing the heck out of the Switch. We’ve been doing a lot of Smash - she usually goes with Kirby, while I always trend toward Bayonetta, Lucina, or Zero Suit Samus - and co-op Kirby Star Allies and New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe. Individually, she’s started playing the first Bayonetta and I’ve found myself diving back into Breath of the Wild, giving it a more serious attempt this time.

January has been a Big Games Month for me. At the beginning I wrapped up the main quest line in The Witcher III. After that I finished Pyre (Ti’zo is my best friend wow!!). Next on my list was Firewatch which really worked for me. I feel like much of what I would say about that game has already been written but damn it made me care about characters without making me totally on their side.

Throughout the whole month I’ve been chipping away at Destiny 2. I’m not raid ready yet but I’ve enjoyed jumping into sessions with IRL friends and am looking forward to playing with folks in the community via discord/FATT.

I’ve spent about two hours playing the Blackout free trial and I’m glad I got to check it out so I can pass on BLOPS:IIII without FOMO. Honestly, I had way more fun with BLOPS:III when it released for free for PS+ over the summer.

The last multiplayer game is Overwatch, a game that left my regular rotation for a few months and is now scratching the itch for something team based that isn’t Destiny 2. In Overwatch I always feel like part of a team even when the team is dysfunctional whereas in Destiny I often feel like a lone guardian who is sometimes shooting at something with help.

Last weekend I hit credits in Rayman: Legends and have since unlocked the final set of paintings in the main game. The art direction is perfect. The timed levels are good but as the difficulty ramps up they reach a Father Gascoigne degree of frustrating.

I’m curious how folks on here feel like it stacks up in terms of difficulty with Celeste and Dead Cells two games I’m considering diving into next month.

Edit:

I forgot Hitman 2 FRIG. I’m on the final map but am no where close to the end of my time with this game. It is my first Hitman ever and I was not sure if it would land for me but woooah boy it has. THESE ARE THE LEVELS I WANT IN VIDEO GAMES PLEASE STOP MAKING OPEN WORLD GAMES!!!

It honestly is bringing me back to playing Tony Hawk games. The clearly listed objectives which are challenging (or in Hitman’s case impossible) to get in a single run. The spaces feel lived in and full of secrets. Each one iterates on the lessons the last level taught you and you unlock tools to make them easier to play as you progress. Tony Hawk has create a skater in Hitman I play dress up more than I play with a gun.

I had honestly remembered it not really being well received critically. But on second look it has a 90 on metacritic. I could of sworn Game Informer (which I read religiously in high school) gave the game a 6, but it looks like they gave it an 8.8. I remember playing it around when 3 was coming out to catch up. And even then I distinctly thought it was pretty terrible. I would just guess that early 360/PS3 was that “holy shit graphix” phase.

I just picked up Futuregrind on itch and its extremely good so far. Controls well, has some great accessibility options, puts you into a “flow state”, seems like it has some really interesting depth. I may make a thread about it once I play more of it. Highly recommend it!

I’m like 70 percent through RDR2 which has been sometimes a slog and sometimes a really beautiful experience. really wish it was moddable cause I would love to see other people write stories and missions in the environment that’s already there.

Just got Titanfall 2 and Horizon Zero Dawn so gonna check those out soon-ish.

Finally got around to playing Darksiders 2. I’m about 10 hours into it, and other than a seemingly permanently-missable chest messing with my completionist streak, I’m having a pretty good time. It’s a very silly game, but I’m digging it.

Update: recently got to the second realm. Between some of the pretty good random loot I’ve gotten my hands on and the possessed weapons I’ve upgraded, I have become, to paraphrase a review from when it released, a cackling whirlwind of destruction. It’s extremely gratifying.

I’m still liking the dungeon design too. I realize they’re very linear, but they make me feel smart for solving the simple puzzles quickly and for finding the secret nooks and crannies with chests.

I just blasted through Pikuniku, released today. It was good! It’s a charming adventure game/platformer. I would compare it to Minit and Doughnut County, in terms of a light genre gameplay mixed into a quirky story in a neat 3-5 hour package. I had a lot of fun with it, and would recommend it if you enjoyed the other games I’ve mentioned.

All this time I have been trying, pretty fruitlessly, to get into Civilization 6 on the Switch. It’s difficult finding a leader I like and most of the tutorials, either in-game or online, I’ve encountered are bad.

Hey, fellow Waypointers, what are some of the best leaders for a domination victory? I like the idea of Persia, because they sound most capable of “zerg-rushing” and Sparta also seems neat so I can have culture to fall back on. Are there better options? Also, could anyone maybe offer any simple general tips? Or should I just wait for the expansions to come to the console?

• Gilgamesh - Earliest unique unit rush possible in the game because their War Carts are Ancient Era and stronger than comparable heavy cavalry.
  • Tomyris - Classical Era horse archers are built in twos (as are all of their light cavalry units) and will heal when they win battles.
  • Gorgo - Shares the Hoplite with Perikles, but has more combat-oriented bonuses.
  • Montezuma - Convert enemy units into builders with your Eagle Warriors to get an extra production leg up as you go on.
  • Cleopatra - Strong gold game and Chariot Archers.
  • Alexander - Just military bonuses and uniques out his butt, and many incentives to conquer cities.
  • Harald Hardrada - Particularly on watery maps where there’s opportunities to attack and expand early over water. Longboats and Berserkers are best on the offense.
  • Cyrus - The best surprise wars in the game, Immortals.
  • Jadwiga - Forts and Encampment districts grab tiles, and the Winged Hussar is the only unit in the game (iirc) that can force enemy units out of tiles without killing them.
  • Trajan - Free roads and buildings in cities makes for very fast expansion and movements of warriors.

Those are the ones that stand out to me in the switch version (there are excellent warlike civs in Rise and Fall, and more coming with Gathering Storm too).

I replayed Gone Home for the first time since it released and hey that game is still incredibly good and still probably one of my favorite walking sims. The story is just so touching and the way journal entries are all so well written and performed. I love Sam and Lonnie and I hope that they are still together and happy. And y’know what, even though I still remembered all the spooky parts they were still totally spooky to me, so either I’m more forgetful than I think or it’s just very effective.

I also played What Remains of Edith Finch and that game is… hmm. I like some of the things it does. It has cool set pieces and does some interesting stuff with the walking sim genre. I like the weird and surreal aspects of it. Although I’m not sure I actually enjoyed playing it? The story didn’t really do anything for me and actually controlling it felt like a struggle at times (requiring particular mouse motions to move things and the camera occasionally pulling itself to make sure you See A Thing, in particular). It was alright though and hey it was free through the Epic thinger so that’s alright too.

do TF2 first, it’s a manageable length (12-15 hours) and is one of the most expertly-paced, exciting FPS experiences I’ve ever had. It iterates on the original Half-Life, surprisingly, in an incredibly impressive way. Absolutely brilliant campaign through-and-through.

Maybe I’m just weird and morbid, but I always felt like Edith Finch was a bit too melancholy for the story it was actually telling; the circumstances of the plot are a lot more humorously macabre than Edith’s voice over implies, imo. Like, a guy hiding in a basement for a couple decades because of a supposed monster, only to escape down a tunnel and then get taken out by a train as he ponders his future, is hilarious to me.

I think I would have liked it better if it embraced a little more black humor, and also let Tom Waits score it.

Oh see, I thought his story was supposed to be that the woman (his mother, I think?) was the one who locked him down there and she was the monster he was referring to. I do agree that the melancholy of Edith’s voice over really doesn’t match just how dark some of those deaths are. Like the child drowning in the bath tub after the mother goes to answer the phone was almost too dark for me and was pretty much only okay due to how mystical/dreamy the make it.. It really should have leaned all the way to melancholy or macabre because trying to do both didn’t seem to hit it quite right.

I did it! I beat Calamity Ganon in Breath of the Wild! Now while i wouldn’t consider my experience over per say, as I still have 57 shrines left. But I definitely won’t beat all of them, and beating Gannon has given me a good place to hang my hat on when I do finally decide to hang it up. A wonderful game in all respects.

Played a match of Siege the other day, for the first time in a while. In one round a teammate killed me with a grenade (I think on accident).
In the next round I downed two enemies, stood in the room with the bomb with my teammate that had the defuser which they did not place down despite it being 3 vs 1 at that point. Instead they walked away and everyone except me got killed and then I also got killed because that happens in this game.
The next round started with a a teammate walking over to me and shooting me in the head, I assume “because” I didn’t win the last round.
Good community.