What game are you playing?

I played Devotion the new game by Red Candle Studios, maker of Detention! Short review: Its good! Not nearly as good as Detention good, but still good!

It trades in the Stylized 2D adventures of Detention, for a more standard 3D horror, in the vein of something like Observer or Layers of Fear. I personally prefer the look and the sidescrollyness of Detention, but that doesn’t make Devotion bad, on the contrary, the enviroments all look fantastic. It has great audio design imo, and Red Candle has a knack for knowing how to use non-ambient music in their games. Its got some light inventory “find the thing” gameplay, which is solid enough as a way to go through the story.

The story was very well told. It could be a bit heavy handed on the (not really sub) text, but again, very solid execution. Again, i think Detention was a lot more of an interesting game, but then again, as a white bread american, Detention i think was a lot more “broad” in the way it involved Taiwanese Culture into its narrative, where Devotion feels a lot more specific and personal. I’ve seen a lot of Taiwanese people online say that the game speaks to them and i’m very pleased about that.

Overall, just a really solid experience, and while the jump from 2D to 3D is a pretty big jump that maybe means this isn’t for everyone, I had a good time!

I want to post about how I’m playing Dragon’s Dogma, definitely not loving it but maybe not hating it, and I’m confused about why it is so loved by others, and how the combat is pretty fun but all the quests involve running slowly from Gran Soren to somewhere else far away, and then warping back, and then doing that again basically, and along the way you and the pawns pick up a million things that might be useful someday but you don’t know for what and then you die, and you have no idea when the last save was, and there are three options to choose from so you always choose the wrong one and get set back way back, and you wonder why am I doing this, there is no interesting story or stories and the it’s way too slow paced to be played as some sort of hack n’ slash loot game, and I keep putting it down and picking it back up, and I guess I mostly wonder about the picking back up part because there is clearly something there that makes me want to, but I have no idea what that is.

Checking in to say that the ending to Crackdown 3 left a sour taste in my mouth because the game was making all kinds of exciting, over the top promises and follows through on very few of them.

I would have forgiven a lot of the game’s “we languished in development hell for five or six years” weirdness in tone and content and whatever else if it had stuck the landing but it really, really doesn’t, and it’s casting a long shadow on the rest of the experience right now.

I’ve dipped back into Yakuza 0 in the past week or two, trying to get 100% completion and eventually get the Platinum trophy (even though I have yet to finish Kiwami 2). After chipping away at all the non-minigame completion points, I got down to basically just the gambling minigames. So I had to learn how to play games like koi-koi and mahjong—turns out they’re pretty fun once you get over the intimidating but surprisingly small learning curve!

I’ve finished all the koi-koi, oicho-kabu, and dice game challenges, and now the last items on my completion list that remain are mahjong, shogi, and batting cage challenges. I doubt I will ever memorize all (or any) of the possible mahjong hands, but I think I can just kind of brute-force my way through that.

I’ve decided to make my way through the Metro games before trying Exodus. I’m playing the Redux version of 2033. Even with all the graphical and mechanical updates, this game is barely functional. The balance of all the little tonal and textural mechanics like the gas mask, the light-based stealth system, the manually-powered flashlight make the game an unwieldy mess to play, but you’re also super deadly so you end up bumbling through these dire scenarios laying waste to everything.

All the admittedly impressive detail in this game serves to reinforce tone, for me anyway. They don’t help me engage with the themes as much as the emphasise the vibe of the thing. I recall Last Light being much better about this but who knows.

Oh boy, are you in for a treat when you get to the late game and your oxygen supply is dwindling down while NPC’s slowly walk through a level and talk endlessly.

It seems like such an obvious thing, to not stop the forward momentum of the player when they have a limited supply of the thing they need to live, but I guess not.

YEAH, I GET IT MILLER, THE WORLD ENDED AND YOU’RE SAD ABOUT IT. CAN WE GET A MOVE ON BEFORE MY LUNGS COLLAPSE?!

Do the nosalises have about 3 animations or is it just me?

I can’t recall, but it checks that you might notice that. The Metro Redux games are one those things that thinks “remaster” means “Let’s get rid of the super essential shadows and improve textures somewhat”, Silent Hill HD style, baby.

I’ve had look at a few comparisons and it’s very much a “add bloom and textures and make the game not play like walking through mud” situation. There are some many things I like about this game and none of them have anything to do with playing it.

Oh, I’m not sure I like how the remasters look. I’m generally very much in favor of using shadows to hide shit character models and the like.

Time for another check-in - a long one this time…

Since last update, I’ve technically played four games, but 3 actually count (as one was literally booting it up and setting the settings). So, in order:

I’ve done the whole HITMAN 2 story, including full mastery of two of the levels (because they were addictive as all hell). I LOVE the opening mission - there’s a lot to be said for a proper gameplay tutorial before shit truly hits the fan - and instantly replayed it to death to get basically every ounce of mastery and all the challenges wrung out of it, before coming back later to do the very last bits that were previously impossible (can’t snipe someone to death without a sniper rifle after all) and then greedily devoured all the other missions before picking some favourites to start mastering. I’m at least Mastery 7 in all the new missions now, and have got most of the “classic” missions to 5 as well, plus the first (actually from the previous game) Elusive Target down. I just adore the new HITMAN, and the reworking in 2 is perfect for me. They changed my standard Silent Assassin Suit Only boat method too, thanks to their retooling of said training area, so that was good too - tried some new methods, got a bit creative, loved it. There is literally no reason if you’ve even half enjoyed the previous title not to play through this one, and it really does feel like a great big playset for murder. There’s some hilarious new options too - fish slapping people into the ocean? Mole hole explosions? Literally gassing a whole house unconscious? Deadly cigarettes? Super cocaine? Drumroll please? - and I’ve enjoyed literally every second of my time. Now it’s mastery to full across all levels, then top difficulty (you get one save, at all - and in many levels, I never used one anyway).

Before travelling on holiday Southwards to London I also played through Crackdown 3. Never has a game been quite as glad for the existence of Game Pass to justify it (not even Sea of Thieves). I LOVE open world games, all of them (I’ve loved and completed the Far Cry series, every Saint’s Row, Red Faction Guerrilla, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Watch_Dogs 2, Just Cause, Sunset Overdrive, and most of all the original Crackdown) and this was just such a sad game for me. The HUGE hand-holding that is the opening section of the game (including through the first of a dismal amount of bosses) was a colossal red flag for me, and it just never picked up. 1000 Orbs? Awesome, if they were in any way hard to come by (for one, Agility Orbs literally have a huge column of light beaming off them, and Hidden Orbs are more Utterly Random Orbs). The guns are frankly useless bar a very small group of them (the chaingun in particular is unforgivable, as it takes an immense amount of time to begin firing what amounts to minimally damaging bullets) all the tasks are repetitive (destroy the machinery! Now again but there! Do it another 5 times!) and there’s a paltry 9 bosses in the whole game past the tutorial (compared to the original’s 21 - 6 lieutenants and one gang boss per faction). I finished it with only the races and Orbs to do, and I’ll likely not be back to 100% it. As someone who played so much Crackdown there’s only 2 achievements to unlock (Stunt Rings, all Street Races with every car) and even did most of the sequel (never touched the DLCs for it but still 750/1000) it’s a massive letdown to think this game has been literally years in the making and feels, at best, like half of a sequel. Too small, too low (literally anything really tall is in the centre of the map) and too repetitive to love. The ending, as well, is a massive squelch, to top of a pretty shitty story. Roll on Watch_Dogs 3.

Shockingly (especially to myself) I came away from a holiday week listening to podcasts with a real need to give Anthem a real go. After literally 3 hours of deliberating yesterday I caved, and the difference between the beta and the actual release is surprising. Everything that I hated in that public beta - mainly the Javelin movement, gun feel, survivability - feels so much better in the actual release (I am naturally also playing post-patch, and wow does that whole early release saga seem like a mess) that it almost seems like a different game. Sure, once I finish the current content there’s little to do for 90 days, but seeing as I already pre-ordered Division 2 on One X and I have the Destiny 2 Forsaken Content Pass I can’t say I’m worried about that particular issue. That beta was, it seems, a really poorly considered one, and I can’t help but think setting it in the Matthias chunk of story was a terrible idea. The early segment gives a far better impression of gameplay, and a bit more scenic variety to boot. A tip for anyone thinking of playing: suits unlock at 2, 8, 16 and 26, so it’ll be a long time before you get to try every Javelin. As such, leave the obvious ones until later, and let curiosity get the better of you. Put simply, Ranger is the Mass Effect Soldier of the bunch, all guns and no uniqueness, and the Colossus is really just a huge suit with equally huge guns and a shield. Get the Storm (basically a Mage archetype with status affecting elemental abilities) and the Interceptor (Rogue/swashbuckler with a sword) early on, where being weaker doesn’t make as huge of a difference, and it’ll be easier to choose which you’re likely to stick with in the long run. Being a total idiot, I took Ranger as my first, and though it gets you used to the mechanics of the game nicely it also feels a little “this could literally be any third person shooter right now, bar the flying” and takes away from the uniqueness of the more interesting suits. The Colossus was my beta choice, so I have a good idea of it and will unlock that last, I think, as I tend to play tanks (Reinhardt in Overwatch, a Destiny Titan since launch, Crusdar/Barbarian in Diablo 3…) and I want to switch it up some.

On the slate, I’ve got Destiny 2’s Season of the Drifter approaching, Division 2, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and Witcher 3 on the Shame Shelf, and a driving desire to try test the Steam Link function of my Pi on Yakuza Zero and Kiwami. The Shame Shelves, physical and digital, overfloweth…

Saw some Twitter hype for Brütal Legend (Double Fine) and decided to finally give my copy a go. Good choice! I’m a lapsed metal head and it was really fun to return to all things good, stupid and fun it can be. The game just oozes of affection for the source material and the licensed soundtrack which is ordered by the different factions (old school, hair and goth/death) is fantastic.

The mix of strategy and slasher gameplay isn’t what I’d call perfect by any means, but for a tribute game where the focus isn’t so much on the action as on the performance I get exactly what they’re going for and it largely works. What does bring it down a bit is the open world, always a sore spot for me. The world does look amazing (shout out to the art team!) but riding around it in your car looking for, sigh, collectables feels very empty. It’s lacking the punch that metal should bring.

Still, had a really good time with it! It’s hard to imagine a game about music that isn’t a music game turn out better than this love letter to a genre. I feel inspired and will probably put on some of my old favorites at work tomorrow :slight_smile:

I am currently on the Destiny 2, lets first complete it. I also want tojump on the PUBG.

I was sick last week and sunk a ton of time into Divinity: Original Sin 2. After over 100 hours, I think I’m finally approaching the end. I’ll save my thoughts on it for once I’ve finished it, so for now I’ll just say it’s probably the most fun I’ve had with an RPG since The Witcher 3.

I also played Devotion, and I’d agree with the sentiment that it’s very good, but not quite as good as Detention. Detention had this really oppressive quality that brought the historical context to life and made you feel like you were choking on its atmosphere. It was scary in the way good dystopian fiction is scary, which I haven’t seen much in games. Devotion is more in the mold of other recent first-person horror games and its story is much smaller in scope. Still, it has some beautiful imagery (it looks great for a small team’s first 3D game) and it’s super evocative, even if it didn’t connect for me on the same level as Detention. It shifts towards more outright horror towards the end, and I’m not sure that’s as effective as the more grounded, mundane horror that precedes it, but that’s a small criticism.

As a palate cleanser, I played my first round of Apex Legends and… my squad won??? One of my teammates looked only slightly more experienced than me, so the two of us mostly just tried not to be liabilities and followed the one squadmate who seemed to know what they were doing. We stayed ahead of the circle (for the most part) and only ran across other squads that were already wounded, so we must have been reasonably well-equipped by the time it came down to the last 3 squads. We were holed up raised building by a river at the end, and I could barely follow the last firefight; I think the other squad started to come in one of the side doors but we all saw them and started shooting, they fell back, I chased them outside and then I was down and trying to crawl back inside, and then it was over and we’d placed first? The whole thing was insanely intense and I actually understand for once why people like this genre so much. The only problem is that I feel like I had a perfect experience and playing any more will just tarnish that.

Finally, I think I need to start admitting to myself that I don’t like Wargroove very much, at least as far as the campaign goes. I realized a while ago that I’m very bad at it, and with each mission it’s getting harder to eke any fun out of the game. Every time I win, it feels like I’m just barely clawing my way past the finish line. I’ll try some of the other modes, but as of now I’m not enjoying it enough to warrant the time I’m putting into it.

Divinity Original Sin 2 is so good! I’ve been playing it multiplayer with my friends and it’s such a smartly designed game for that. Not to mention, all of the writing for animals in the game is fantastic! I mean, all the writing is good, but it’s incredible that some of the best writing is hidden behind a mostly trivial perk

I finished Metro Exodus! I had a really good time with it! Such a disparate collection of individually poor parts that come together into a package that is such a lot of fun. I honestly didn’t get too many glitches. I fell through the floor one time haha, but that was actually it. I’m very charmed by this team that was obviously reaching far beyond what was probably realistically feasible, but came to make something charming and weird. I can’t describe why this makes me happy, and not something like the Anthem beta, which was also very similar in a sort of “developer overreach” way but didn’t grab my attention also. I dunno how replayable the game is. but i enjoyed my time with it, and glad i grabbed it!

Something I really loved about Divinity Original Sin 2 is how the Fort Joy area really feels like a great microcosm of a lot of what’s cool about the game. I put like 10 hours into that section and finished and honestly felt like I got my money’s worth out of the game just from that.

I’ve picked up and abandoned Divinity Original Sin 1 like three times now. My brain thinks I need to inspect every item and doesn’t know which junk is important (will I ever need candles???) and which is just junk. I get overwhelmed by all the things and just give up in favor of something less intimidating. Can you sell me on DS1, and/or convince me to ignore most of the junk that’s basically just set dressing?

My argument would be to only pick up things that are valuable to sell or are actively useful to you at the time you find them. You can always return to pick something up if you need it, but chances are you will not need those candles or wheels of cheese. There are always more where that came from!

But the other thing I will say is that D:OS1 did not engross me and I wait playing several times. D:OS2 however I stuck with. A big part of that is likely because I could play with three other friends, but it’s worth noting the writing and combat is much better in 2 than 1

I am, despite all odds, really enjoying Anthem? I’ve only sunk about an hour in but I find myself itching to get back to it tonight so there might be something there. I’m going to give it the 10 hours I’ve got with the $5 Origin pass and see where it sits with me after that.