What game are you playing?

Y’all, don’t sleep on Hypnospace Outlaw! It’s excellent!!! I seriously couldn’t recommend it more!

It’s hard to get into why it’s so good without ruining it, but it’s just great from start to finish. You can tell that so much joy and love went into this game!

3 Likes

I’m still playing Bloodborne, and I’ve spent the past week or so sacrificing my Quicksilver Bullets, Antidotes, Insight, and happiness to the Blood-Starved Beast. It appears to still be starved, and at this point I’m feeling pretty malnourished myself. I was too proud for summoning help on my first 20 or so attempts. For the last 5 or so I replaced my pride with the summonable NPC, and they’ve about gone the same way.

I’m also still playing Hollow Knight, which is a delight.

2 Likes

Hypnospace Outlaw is a delight. Its greatest flaw is that it has an in-universe Pokemon-style game called Squisherz and it is way fucking better than Pokemon. The designs are dope, you get to do SMT-style conversation battles, it’s so great and it doesn’t exist. I’m upset.

2 Likes

You are not the only one who is completely stonewalled by the Blood Starved Beast. I thought my replay was going so well, and i one shotted both Cleric Beast and Gasgoine, but somehow 10 attempts at BSB and i can’t seem to get him past about 25% health. I planned to see how far i could get into the game before sekiro came out, but i’m honestly kinda satisfied that i’m more caught up on the basic FromSoft Control scheme and will just wait a week and play other things.

About 10 hours in and hoooo boy do I feel this. The game is great but there really is something uniquely exhausting about having to relearn a new set of rules every single time you start a level. It’s gotten to the point where I don’t even attempt the bonus levels on my first pass through a world because I know they’ll be too demoralizing lol

1 Like

For the bonus levels that are variants of normal levels, I like to roll right in immediately after solving the easier version. That way the puzzle’s structure is fresh in my mind, so it’s easier for me to reason about how the differences change how I approach a solution.

1 Like

The best moment of Baba for me so far involved me going over a previously completed puzzles for clues about one i was stuck on, half forgetting how i solved it, watching a youtube video to remind me, remembering how i did it in the middle of the video, and then watch the video do something completely different. Game just blows my mind.

I’m about 55 ish puzzles down so far, and im to the point where i have like 6/8 puzzles completed in like 4 different areas and i just need a few breakthroughs. The only area that is really kicking my butt is the Fall area. I just can’t wrap my head around the teleport action. Anyone else confused?

I finished Mutant Year Zero the other and I liked it well enough. I really struggled with it in the beginning - I felt like I was always lagging a few levels behind where I needed to be and taking out enemies while in stealth was nearly impossible… and then about 10 hours later I realized I’d been playing on hard. Oops. By the time I figured it out I was over the hump, so I didn’t bother changing it.

The game clicked for me when I got Farrow in the area filled with robots, and I realized you’re meant to be carefully managing your cooldowns and switching between characters to catch enemies out and disable them one at a time. It’s definitely at its best when you’re sneaking around, picking groups of enemies off one by one. Once it switches over to XCOM-style engagements with multiple enemies it’s less interesting. The story was okay; I don’t know if I ever bought into it because I just skipped over the scenes that were just characters talking to me. The ending felt a little abrupt to me, too. In general, I liked it. It’s interesting seeing a turn-based strategy game play with real-time elements and and a map you can take at your own pace.

Baba is You is honestly one of the best puzzle games I’ve ever played. It’s up there with my favourites like The Witness, The Swapper and uh…I dunno, The Talos Principle? Lots of "The"s

The simple “X is Y” starting rules that they keep slowly adding more and more complication to is fantastic and the amount of silly incorrect ways you can solve puzzles is great.

For example: I’m 99% sure this is not the correct solution for this puzzle. But it sure was fun.

2 Likes

Every single piece of Baba Is You that I see makes me so excited to play it. I just bought Ape Out and now need to budget out another $15 for this. So much indie goodness out there right now.

God, I love the Switch.

1 Like

I too am playing Baba is You. On top of what everyone else is saying, it has proven to be a great intro to gaming for anyone special you may have in your life who doesn’t like video games. I showed it to my wife last night, we played a few levels together, and she has really taken to it (and also taken over the Switch).

1 Like

I bought the book recently and I’ve been slowly reading the rules. I’m super excited about running it sometime but also pretty nervous! I’ve run D&D in the past but this seems to require a different approach. How did you know when you were ready to jump in?

1 Like

im currently extremely mad about this sekiro interaction

2 Likes

That’s literally what I did the first time I fought him and was like “Wait what?!?!”

Also I love Sekiro. Despite that bastard taking me 2 hours to finally beat this morning, once I went back and actually INSTALLED the flame prosthetic that I had picked up in the memory 2 hours earlier.

Satisfactory just came out in to Early Access on the Epic Games Store. A friend of mine was super interested in it, and we play many games together so I decided to get it as well.

I’ve heard it described as Factorio, but in first person. I’ve never played Factorio, but this seems accurate from what I’ve seen.

It’s still early access so it has its quirks, but it’s definitely of high quality right off the bat. It’s stable, and runs well, and so far there is a lot to check out and do.

I know it’s in the name, but it is very satisfying to set up a mining operation, then connect the mines to refineries, that connect to constructors which then dumps finished products in to storage for later use.

The multiplayer is pretty neat as it’ll allow a friend to join and then set up another mining operation somewhere else. When my friend joined my game and wanted to start a base I did have to tell him to stick to my very strict building guidlines. Which were:

1. All buildings must face a cardinal direction
  2. All conveyor belts must be at 90 degree angles (within reason, as it’s difficult to get it exact)

Thankfully he thinks it’s fun to work with other folk’s ideas and plans, so he didn’t complain and stuck with my guidelines.
There is no solid reason I want to do it that way besides that I like things to be organized (which is funny because my life is a mess)

I don’t normally get in on early access games, but this does seem pretty well put together.

Here’s a screenshot of where I left my factory off last night. Not pictured: Space elevator, my friend’s second base he made.

Click for screenshot

1 Like

I spent most of today playing a game I got on Steam for $0.60 during the Winter sale called Shootout on Cash Island. The forums don’t seem to embed twitter videos (at least not in the preview), but that’s what this is:

Nothing bums me out more than finding a game like this on Steam. If this had come out in the days before Valve opened the flood gates, I think a lot more people would’ve been talking about it.

This is essentially a pixel platformer stylized after 80’s and early 90’s action movies. Sort of like Broforce, but way more rigidly structured (to the point of almost being puzzle-like sometimes). The level design is pretty brilliant; the earliest example is the first level, which starts out in such a way as to make you think of Super Mario Bros. – but the game uses it in such a way as to explain how it’s different without feeling too derivative or beating you over the head. In fact, this game is FANTASTIC at nailing wordless tutorials. There’s signposts everywhere telling you controls and stuff, but I’ve only ever needed to use one in the 19-ish levels I’ve played.

My only question is how long the game will go on. Seems like there’s two map screens worth of levels, and being on level 19 I’m about halfway through the second map. Doing some research, Cash Island seems like it might be a sequel to a very similar game the developer put out two years ago, called “Mission: Demolition” which touted only having seven levels. So I’m probably near the end.

This isn’t the kind of game that’s changing my life or anything but it definitely feels like it should be worth more than the $3 it’s currently listed at, bare minimum.

4 Likes

I started playing WATCH_DOGS 2 and I think it’s fun but the narrative on this make absolute 0 sense.

For example everyone at the start is freaking out that you have a firearms license but one of the first things they introduce you to in the hackerspace is a 3D printer for guns… and your character isn’t surprised at all by this…

Also there doesn’t seem to be any sort of in game moral penalty for killing people? No reactions at all to you running someone over on accident or shooting cops/gangs.

No one else is also going to question the ethics behind you using the cops or gangs as weapons against each other or even random people?

The gameplay and some of the characters seem likeable but wow is the narrative not consistent at all.

“The Baba is You”

1 Like

Picked up Sekiro. I’m not sure “playing” is the right word for it. More like “suffering at the hands of”. I am making slow but steady progress, though.