What game are you playing?

I am playing this for the first time! I literally knew nothing about this game beyond its reputation, the sames of some characters, and a death. I am about 4 hours in and kind of surprised by how good the story is and how engaged I am. The features of the port have been super helpful in me getting into this game (and driving home how little I like some core aspects of (J)RPGs despite loving the genre). Some of the details on the screen are visually very hard to read and the random synchronized challenges are a major drag. I wasted about fifteen minutes last night on the batteries sequemcd between trying to find where the proper “path” was and timing the swing jump.

Yeah, beyond the gameplay stuff that doesn’t entirely hold up today, the story is legitimately compelling. I really wanted to revisit it after I realized how extremely cyberpunk the whole thing is. An evil megacorporation mining the life force of the planet being fought by the direct action of a small resistance group.

One thing that’s key with JRPGs in my experience is a guide, especially if you get stuck. I’ve been using https://jegged.com/Games/Final-Fantasy-VII/ so far and recommend it

Hello, Hypnospace Outlaw is INCREDIBLE, i just began the 4th chapter and i am floored. Anyone who was online before Y2K or has any interest for the web of that era owes it to themselves to give this game a spin. I didn’t think i needed a “lost in geocities and really bored” simulator, but I really did, apparently.

The interactions I’ve had with people in this game probably show I shouldn’t be given any amount of authority, ever. Who knew inflicting DMCA takedowns on mildly unlikeable strangers could be so cathartic?

Satisfactory is really neat

I played a bit of The World Next Door and found it so-so. I can see pretty clearly what they were going for, but I think the wiring is like one notch below where I want it to be.
There is a mechanic where you can text up to 3 friends each morning. I thought it was gonna be a cool way to deepen your relationship, but they always just give me basic plot info. And one time a character didn’t text me back cause she was sleeping…

Did anyone else have a different experience with this one?

With the sequel getting announced, I decided to finally get around to trying out Vampires: The Masquerade: Bloodlines. I knew going in that it has some problematic elements to it and I thought I was ready but then I got to a scene with Therese and Jeanette and it turns out I was not prepared for it to throw sexual assault, mental illness and self-harm around for shock value all in the space of like ninety seconds. It was a really deeply uncomfortable scene and I haven’t been able to go back to the game. It’s unfortunate because I can totally see why people like the game and there are bits of it that I was enjoying.

I’ve also been poking at Konami’s hottest new release, Pixel Puzzle Collection which is actually a really good mobile picross game. It’s free and doesn’t seem to have any microtransactions in it (although it does have ads for other Konami games). I’ve played a lot of picross games and this is a pretty solid one.

Digging Sleeping Dogs more now that I’ve begun to knock out most of these arbitrary skill trees. Never before as progression felt so pointlessly tacted on. I get putting extra moves, passive damage buffs, and extra skills like silent car jacking in there, but the unlocking balance is broken by the drug bust side missions that just let you breeze through the entire cop tree, not to mention how easy face is to find and how the four dating missions just outright show you where all the hidden environment collectables are.

This makes the health shrine system especially pointless, because the health upgrades add up to one extra health bar and after doing the first date, you can just go drive out and find them all. Nothing is stopping you. It’s almost hilarious how pointless health upgrades are…except that this makes the early game needlessly annoying. You basically cannot take hits without those upgrades or you will die very fast, and a few enemies have attacks that come out too fast to effectively counter.

Now melee combat is fairly easy because I can actually take hits now.

Despite all this, locking certain buyables behind face level was a good idea that really sells that you’re acquiring status, and there is hilarity to be found in Wei Shen, serious undercover cop going through an identity breakdown, runs at three dudes guarding a random collectable like he’s the T-1000 while wearing a polo shirt and dad jeans.

I’m always playing smash bros ultimate with my little bro online. I gotta say we always play until it’s super late at night cause teams is intense man.

i’ve been playing through the kingdom hearts 1.5 + 2.5 remix collection! i’m three games in (about 20 hours into kingdom hearts II, i skipped 358/2 days because i thought it would be better to play that one in release order rather than the order the collection gave me) and i’m wondering why it took me so long to get into this series!! here are a few of my (mostly spoiler-free) thoughts on each individual game.

kingdom hearts I: a super enjoyable first entry, it’s a little janky in that old school rpg sort of way but very fun to play regardless! i was surprised by how easy it was for me to get used to the idea of being a little anime boy and having donald and goofy as best friends. i love and support riku

chain of memories: i really, really loved the story for this one…but the combat mechanics i couldn’t wrap my head around at all, even on easy. i got about 10 hours in (almost finished the game!) before finally meeting a boss i couldn’t beat (DAMN YOU AND YOUR STUPID SHIELD VEXEN) and had to watch the rest of the game on youtube instead. apparently there’s another mode after you beat the game where you play as riku? i’ll have to watch those cutscenes on youtube later too

kingdom hearts II: so far this one’s my favorite entry by a long shot!! the character writing feels like it’s reached a whole new level of quality. seriously, where have these games been all my life? it’s completely my bullshit. my only complaint about this particular game is that i miss the dodge button from KH1. i will never, ever use guard and this game cannot make me. defense is for cowards.

I got this in a playstation sale and its probably one of the best £3 I’ve ever spent. I found the violence of the latter part of the story too much for me, but the whole first half of the game was really good fun, in a way that GTA has never been.

Finished up the best game of 2018 Crosscode so I decided to keep the theme going and moved on to the best game of 2017 Horizon Zero Dawn.

Goddamn Aloy is such a good character. This game is just a masterpiece. Oddly though this did cause me to run into my first complaint about the game. The NG+ they added is fine and good, but they also added some face paints and focus skins for people who beat NG+ on the harder difficulties. I love the game but only getting to use these things on the third playthrough of a game this size is a bit of an ask.

So I just said screw it I don’t really care about face paint and started a fresh game because I like the progression. Don’t want to just be max level the entire time.

I’m currently playing through Sonic 3: Angel Island Revisited, which is a weird beast that’s hard to define. Or, not, really: it’s essentially a fan-made HD remaster of Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Through some kind of mysterious magic, it hooks in to the Steam version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles and pulls data out of that Genesis ROM in to a piece of technology that I assume is somewhere halfway between an emulator and a reverse-engineered source port.

What this basically means is that this is Sonic 3 & Knuckles exactly as you remember it, even with a lot of the same bugs and glitches as the original game, but now you get bonus features like 16:9 wide screen, more difficulty options, achievements, and moderately enhanced visuals and music. A lot of the changes are subtle and almost all of them have on/off toggles.

There’s even formal mod support, allowing you to add new levels to the game, among other things. It apparently even plugs in to existing level editor tools that have been standard in the Sonic community for decades.

And since it piggybacks on the Steam version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, I’d expect it sidesteps the typical gray area stuff typical of ROM hacks, because it’s requiring you to have bought and paid for the official release of the game before it’ll work.

There’s not much else to say about it, otherwise. It’s just a really nice version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and it’s something that Sega themselves will probably never give us for legal reasons (mostly to do with the music).

I picked up ISLANDERS last week and it’s delightful. I super chill minimist city builder with a delightful low poly aesthetic. I somehow lost like 5 hours to it.

Hob came out on the switch which was a good excuse to finally pick that up. I can’t believe it didn’t get talked about more. It came out a couple years ago and you can find some reviews, but this is a really really good Zelda style game that I think does some really cool stuff with how you change the world and add verticality to levels.

It’s impressive just how many mechanics it borrows from other games fairly well. I’m even enjoy the gun combat without relying on cover (it is very fun to run up to guys and disarm them).

I just stole a Switch copy of Owlboy from my little cousin (I’ll give it back, don’t let him know) and it’s pretty charming so far. I kinda don’t like how the flying or the shooting feels but luckily this game is really easy. There’s some really great sprite work and impressive stuff being done with color temperature. I don’t think I’ve seen a sprite-game transition so naturally to different times of day before.

An hour in I wouldn’t call it any kind of masterpiece but it is very relaxing.

The way the world moves and transforms in Hob is so much fun! Ultimately I fell off the game because I had gotten sort of disinterested in the puzzle design, but the amount of thought put into how the world is designed and transforms mechanically is still engrained in my mind!

I’ve been bouncing back and forth between the new remastered Borderlands and Borderlands 2 in order to place them on a timetable and in a context where practically every tentpole is a loot shooter.

Borderlands 2 is still as obnoxious as everyone says it is, and playing the re-issue of the original throws how comparatively reserved that game is. But both games throw the current state of loot shooters into stark relief. Even Borderlands, a game where there is very little variation in how the different characters play, feels alive and full of mechanical possibility in a way that even Destiny doesn’t. You cannot argue with the constant barrage of weird interesting shit that the loot tables in these games spit out and how that interacts with the different classes.

Especially in Borderlands 2, my mechromancer stacks damage by killing enemies and never reloading early, so I actively seek out the dumb joke guns with only 3 rounds per magazine. Every new drop has the potential to drastically change how you play, which is something you can’t say about any of the modern shlooters.

These are extremely messy games and I think their tone and writing is mostly awful, but there’s so much great design built into how these games reward the player and expand their options. There is plenty to criticise about the idea that games have to be constantly rewarding - listening to how most gaming outlets talk about loot games gives me fucking hives - but at least games like Borderlands and Diablo 3 aren’t here to maximise my playtime in order to get me to spend more.

They’re here to prod my dopamine centres until I stroke out at 25, and I appreciate their honesty.

I should be finishing up with Sekiro in the next week or so. And after a month of nothing but that and Baba is You (Which i haven’t finished, but i can tell it will be a long term project), i think i want a few lighter experiences. The games i’ve kinda been circling around have been the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy. I’ve been really curious about these games, sense i never grabbed any of them when i had a DS, so i want to see what they are like. Though i’m curious as to what level they are “Serious Puzzlers” as i don’t really want anything too mindbending. How are they from anyone who has actually played them?

It’s primarily a visual novel, the puzzles aren’t very serious. It can be a little difficult to follow the game’s logic at times because you might not arrive at the conclusion in the exact way the game expects you to, but it’s also not going to hurt your fun to just look up the answer if you’re stuck.

Mind you, I never played Ace Attorney, so this may be a useless recommendation, but I played Aviary Attorney a couple of years ago and found it to be a fun relaxing experience! It’s primarily a visual novel, but you do some light puzzling and mystery solving. The art style is wonderful and the dialogue I remember being real charming! Figured I’d throw out a recommendation in case you still don’t have access to Ace Attorney games, plus it’s usually fairly cheap.