What game are you playing?

I really liked Hotel Dusk, but I only played it when I was riding the subway to school. It’s a perfect “commute game” as I only had to half pay attention to it and the story is slow enough that I didn’t feel bad playing it in tiny chunks. But if you’re playing it with full attention in one go, then I can definitely see the pacing not working very well.

I’m finding myself just playing it in bursts before I go to bed, because I don’t think it’s hooked me quite yet. I think It’s getting there though. I’m at 6:00 PM, which is right after Kyle confronts Louie about his connections with Nile and Bradley.

I’m currently playing Sentinels of the Multiverse for multiplayer-with-friends, and I’m really truly gonna give Thief Gold and Thief II a shot, finally.

SO & I have dropped competing against each other & getting stressed by Overcooked & started couch coop for Divinity Original Sin which has significantly improved my enjoyment of the game where I dropped it after only a few hours. Getting into coop is not as intuitive as it should in that game & the camera is kinda weird but it’s really nice being able to split up to complete different quests simultaneously really makes the game feel like less of a slog.

I definitely read that as “top-world shelf-building”.

Practicing carpentry is probably a better way to spend’s one time, actually :wink:

…Madden 18, somehow? I bought it on sale not realizing it the Super Bowl was coming up (I kid you not, I also didn’t realize the Eagles were in it and chose them as the favorite team on startup all because of that ep of Jon Bois’ Pretty Good)

Longshot was surprisingly engaging and I enjoyed it for the most part (Save for a spot where it puts in a…questionable player, let’s just say. Ross Fountain felt like a HITMAN target and I kinda liked how he sucked.)

It’s also interesting how this is the only EA non-shooter title last year to have transitioned from its own engine to Frostbite with no significant problems. It plays football extremely well, though.

both factions are awful.

I appreciate the amount of guidance Tales of Berseria gives me as I go along. I can’t remember how many JRPGs I used to put down only to pick up months later with NO IDEA what was going on.

Berseria is a little more heavy handed with its guidance but as I grow older and have less time to wander in games I really appreciate it. At least it isn’t a persistent arrow. Like, I still have to fiddle with my maps.

I’ve just played through All Our Asias by Sean Han Tani, its a great, short, free narrative game about… well, the ways in which we identify ourselves, and what that means. It’s pretty cool, I really dig the art as well. Just came out today, I highly recommend people giving it a look (its free).

UPDATE: Everyone in Cerberus is a fucking chuuni and they all need to stop watching Naruto, this is just embarrassing.

I have returned to Warframe after only playing it for maybe 2 hours back when it was in Beta.

I have no clue what is happening. So many menus. So many items. There’s an open world thing? I guess? Lots of spots on planets to go to? Fissures?

I don’t know. I’m having fun regardless of my confusion. I like seeing the numbers go up. I like the look of the game it has a weird if Mass Effect and Riddick had a baby look to it.

I beat it the first time! A shockingly happy ending, which means I’m gonna play it until it destroys me emotionally!

I played the first Uncharted for the first time ever a couple days ago.

People were forgiving of a lot of stuff in 2007. I don’t want to say that game’s crap, but it’s shocking just now uneven it is, and how little of it… actually feels like a game, sometimes? I mean in some respects it gets better as it goes, as environments slowly open up a little bit more, and a little bit more, with progressively less and less hand holding, until you’re running around an MS Escher dungeon. But, dang, it takes like 80% of the game to get to that point.

Didn’t mind the supernatural twist, but boy oh boy OH BOY was that “final boss” rotten.

And yes, I am aware Uncharted 2 is the one everybody loves. In fact, a friend of mine basically told me “Play Uncharted 1 until you get bored and then skip straight to 2”

Except that Uncharted 1 took me like, five hours to finish? I started it on one day and finished it the next. Hard to get bored when it’s done with so quickly.

I got the 1-3 collection a few weeks back, got about half an hour into the first one, and was like “I’d rather just be playing DA:I again” and quit.

Maybe I should just skip to the second and read the wiki page for the first… but it’s not very good.

I am having so much fun with Dragon Quest Builders! I have to say that this game hit me by surprise. I thought the demo was boring and was very reluctant to pick it up. But now I’m just glad I did.

As I said in the “Should I buy” thread, I was never interested in Minecraft because I always thought the enormous (infinite) freedom it gave me was just too much. I just didn’t know what to do and couldn’t find myself motivated to do anything at all. Sandboxes first turn me off. But Dragon Quest Builders is no sandbox first. It’s an RPG with building elements attached. And so I am loving all the little quests that I have to do. Once I found the portal the game really clicked for me. Going out there to an unknown land with limited resources and hostile monsters was thrilling. After coming back from my second trip trough the portal I had found so many new materials and so much stuff to build that I’ve spent hours so far just redecorating the town. So, while initially the game didn’t resound with me, now I’m just glad I made this purchase. I look forward to the next chapters, but right now, as I said, I’m enjoying so much just decorating the town with new materials that it’s gonna be a long time before I try any other quests, ahaha.

Since we’re on Dragon Quest Builders right now, can we just talk about how absolutely genius the framing for Dragon Quest Builders is? It completely justifies the existence of a minecraft clone in the Dragon Quest universe in a way that doesn’t feel tacked on and is super nostalgic-feeling if you’ve ever played the first Dragon Quest.

I just played it for about an hour and it’s way better than on the Vita. The Switch is the perfect fit for a game like this.

Yeah, you should probably skip the first game, based on my experience. I think it’s pretty telling that I have a friend who went on and on about Uncharted 2 being one of his favorite PS3 games, who also replied to one of my Uncharted 1 tweets with “This is where I gave up and quit playing this game.” As much as he loved UC2, even he never bothered finishing UC1.

Also, you probably don’t even need to look up a wiki. UC1’s story is pretty simple, and I’d imagine very little of it carries forward to UC2. Here’s the entire plot of the game:

Nathan Drake thinks he is a descendant of Sir Francis Drake, a famous explorer. He’s joined by his partner Sully, a salty treasure hunter, and Elena, who is filming a documentary about Nate’s connection to Francis Drake. Nate chases Drake’s clues hoping to find the golden city of El Dorado. Several other groups of pirates and thieves are also after El Dorado, and things heat up once Sully is shot and killed when one of his loan sharks comes to collect on the treasure. Eventually Nate finds out that El Dorado isn’t a city of gold, but a giant, 1200 pound statue of gold. After Nate and Elena run around the island a lot dodging pirates and putting together clues, they discover Sully survived his gunshot wound, thanks to Drake’s journal being in his pocket and blocking the bullet. As they get closer to finding the treasure, the corpse of Sir Francis Drake leads them to El Dorado’s true purpose: it’s actually a sarcophagus containing the curse of eternal life, turning whoever opens it in to an undying, bloodthirsty, super-human zombie. Most of the thieves are killed when 2000 year old zombies start pouring out of the ruins. The partner of Sully’s loan shark, a dude named Navarro, double crosses everyone and steals the sarcophagus, intending to sell it on the black market as a bio-weapon. Nate kills Navarro, sending him and the sarcophagus to the bottom of the ocean. With literally everyone dead except for Nate, Elena and Sully, they sail off in to the sunset with some of the non-cursed treasure Sully picked up along the way.

The medieval setting, I think, supports the framing, which never feels forced. You being the only one that possesses the power to build can be justified by “magic” or maybe the will of the gods. The framing only makes me feel motivated, if nothing else.

Well I’m specfically talking about the fact that the game takes place in a timeline at the end of Dragon Quest 1 where the hero chooses to side with the villain. You make this choice in the NES game but chosing yes in it gets you a gameover where the world gets taken over. This game is what takes place after the world gets taken over. All the towns that you rebuild and even the layout of the map you’re in is nearly exactly the same as what you find in the first dragon quest. To really get an idea of this, go to the first town and look at it from a bird’s eye view, then take a look at that same map from a Dragon Quest screenshot.

Putting all that in a spoiler tag since it might not be clear to people who never played the original Dragon Quest.