What game are you playing?

PIT PEOPLE

I haven’t heard anybody talking about this game, but my partner and I are loving it. If you’re unfamiliar, it’s from The Behemoth (makers of Alien Hominid, Castle Crashers and BattleBlock Theater). It’s a turn-based tactics game played on a hex board and—like all Behemoth games—has a strong leaning towards local co-op. Also like all Behemoth games, it has a hand-drawn art style, a healthy dose of bathroom humour, and hilarious voice acting by Will Stamper (well, I don’t think Stamper worked on Alien Hominid).

I don’t think The Behemoth get enough props for how good their games are at local co-op. Personally, that’s my favorite way to play a game—it’s the closest video games get to recreating the fun I had playing D&D as a kid. The local co-op experience is so well designed in Pit People.

Take Diablo 3, which had great moment-to-moment co-op, but was not able to carry that through to the inventory management side of the game. After every run, each of us would take our turn for five or so minutes to sort through our loot and level up. The menu for each person takes up the whole screen, so you spend a lot of time twiddling your thumbs while you wait. In contrast, Pit People does a great job of streamlining this by giving each player a half of the screen during the moments in town. By the time you’ve chosen your loadout, so has your couch buddy.

Pit People also hits that Pokemon-like, collecting endless party members feeling. Pit People has a much smaller roster (standard humans, and a dozen or so special units, like huge momma trolls that spawn furry babies, rainbow-farting, artillery-horn unicorns, and the always necessary cupcake, who heals your other units by feeding them his own frosting), but achieves a lot of variety through the inventive gear and customization. Most importantly, the names. The random name pool in Pit People is deep, and a name can’t be changed, so if you see a bandit with the name Skelontonius or a troll named Thorp McBlasto, it’s pretty enticing to try to recruit them to your squad. My personal favorites are my twin Kobolds, Tree Lawn and Chad.

Danielle was talking about her burgeoning interest in strategy and Pit People is a really great but approachable tactics game. If anybody out there is looking for solid co-op experience, or a single-player grind fest (there are so many unlockable hats), I highly recommend this.

Played Subnautica and loved it but I’ve got a long list of design choices I didn’t like. I found that vehicles were generally a detriment to fear of the game as O2 was no longer an issue. It’s a game that I would love to see modders make maps for because advanced cave diving maps that are Seamoth/Prawn proof would bring that fear back.

Arkham Asylum is the best! The game’s combat and movement systems are more suitable for smaller spaces than a big open world. Plus, Arkham City and Arkham Knight had really messy stories that went all over the place. Arkham Asylum is not an amazing story by any means, but it was tight and nothing in it felt particularly unnecessary. Great game.

I recently completed my fourth and final Divine Beast in Breath of the Wild, and I’m debating whether I should just go and beat ganon or if I should do more shrines/korok seeds.

I’d say beat Ganon, unless you feel that’d stop you from playing the game again afterwards. What I did was beat Ganon and then started a Master mode game to try and get more and play through the DLC!

I’ve been playing a lot of Theme Park and Sim Theme Park lately.

I just had that itch.

I mentioned Full Metal Furies in another thread, but I also wanted to drop in here to say (1) I bought it, (2) it’s good so far, and (3) it handles solo play in a cool smart way. FMF is a co-op brawler with light RPG progression: think Castle Crashers with strongly-defined classes, or Sacred 3 but good. In single-player, though, it does something really clever: you pick 2 out of the 4 characters, and you can switch between them at almost any time. Switching is instant, and you’re encouraged to build combos across both characters’ abilities. Also ability cooldowns keep going on the switched-out character, doubling how often you can throw out specials.

On my Switch I am playing Skyrim for the first time (yes really) and also Stardew Valley and Celeste. All three are very enjoyable for me.

On the Xbox, I finally just stopped with TW3 because I am just not on that game’s vibe at all. Now I’m playing whispers Far Cry 5 - and it’s the dumbest game I’m having the most fun with and can’t stop playing. Every criticism I’ve read of it is totally valid, and yet I am still having far too much stupid ridiculous fun with it and also mocking its ridiculous cult cutscenes.

When I heard it was going to be delisted a few months ago, I bought Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater HD. When that game originally came out, I hadn’t really been super familiar with THPS, but in the interim, I’ve played and almost finished THPS3 and then 2, so I have a fresh memory of what those games were like at their peak

And boy howdy THPS HD is embarrassing on just about every single possible level. It’s a sluggish, janky, ugly version of everything anyone has ever loved about Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater.

The way you float on to rails. The way you never seem to be going fast enough. The way you animate like you’re underwater. The ugly PS2 blood texture. The weird map choices (Venice Beach? Mall? Who asked for these?)

Also, the PC port has no graphics options whatsoever besides setting your resolution. It doesn’t even have the option for v-sync, and the PC version seems to run at 62fps for some reason, leading to constant, obvious, awful-looking screen tearing.

Maybe it’s better this game was delisted.

I never had a 3DS, but I’m traveling soon, so I picked up a 2DS XL (screw 3D; I don’t need the headache), and a pile of rhythm games and “best of” titles. Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds was one of the obvious picks … but I’m playing through it now, and I despise it. It is everything I hate about old school point and click adventure games, wrapped in the skin of a Zelda game. It is tedious and frustrating in a way I wasn’t expecting, and it’s kind of another reminder that, at the end of day, I don’t actually like a lot of the old school Nintendo games that popular culture is enthralled by.

Yeahhhhh I played that for a bit a while back and they handled that game so badly. I don’t know if this is too much, but THPS5 barely edges it out as the worst Tony Hawk game. I mean they were working with existing level designs and mechanics that for the most part had aged pretty well, didn’t need too much tuning and they still bungled it.

I’ve just gotten a few games lately that I’m kind of spreading my time between. I absolute love Slay the Spire ever since I saw Austin’s video on it. It’s a really fun deck-building/dungeon crawler that’s in early access. I had an amazing run with the Silent building an extremely potent poison deck.
I’ve also been playing a little Pokken Tournament on Switch and Pokémon Ultra Sun on 3DS. Pokken Tournament is really fun to sink an hour or two into the single player and the added challenge boards for the single player and daily challenge help what was kind of a bare-bones game. Ultra Sun has been really slow due to all the hand-holding story in the game, but I appreciate them trying something new in Sun/Moon. I’m enjoying building a team from Pokémon I don’t normally use.
Finally, my bf and I just went and bought the Master Chief Collection because we were feeling a bit nostalgic for Halo and wanted to play some of the campaigns again (especially ODST).

I lost my Into the Breach save because my laptop broke, so had to start again. I think I’m starting to flag, and yet I’m noticing that I’m getting better at the same time.

The Stellaris stream looks great, but there’s so much DLC to buy on top of the base game!

I just recently got Breath of the Wild, and it’s even better than I thought it could be. I might have a problem, I basically did nothing at all this weekend besides playing it. Also I’ve gotten back into Hearthstone in time for the new expansion. I’ll go through phases every now and then where I get really into it then fall out of it, most likely due to me not wanting to spend money on packs to get a competent deck. But I like some of the steps that Blizzard has taken to give F2P players more of a foothold, like giving free packs and free legendaries and etc. It’s not perfect by any means and still difficult to get into, but it’s not nearly as hostile as it once was.

Started The Night of The Rabbit from Daedalic games It’s interesting and also one of their more serious games so I can’t wait until it’s about something horrific and soul crushing halfway through. I mean, I already spoiled myself on some of it, so I can’t for the child protagonist to lose both of his parents due to magical time dilation

I played Minit. It was very charming and clever and I really appreciated it being a relatively short because I was actually able to finish a game for once.

I’ve also been playing Danmaku Unlimited 3 on switch. It’s a good fit for the Switch because it’s satisfying to drop in and just play a few minutes and I think it would be a really good introduction to bullet hell games for people unfamiliar with the genre.

Started playing Mafia 3 yesterday. I’m really enjoying it so far, I love games that attempt to recreate a sense of time and place. The gameplay is pretty standard 3rd person action but it’s been a while since I’ve played one of those.

Updates on War of the Chosen, despite @Wazanator’s advice to me previously, I’ve been playing on iron man and it’s been tough. But I’m starting to get the hang of it and persist through a single campaign now. I just managed to have my first flawless victory and managing to coordinate a mission perfectly feels amazing! I’m bound to fuck up whatever comes next and my balance of classes isn’t great right now, but I’m struggling along and it’s a ton of fun!

EDIT: I immediately fucked it up.

Played Stories Untold yesterday. It’s a horror text adventure anthology, where you play as a character interacting with terminals in a few different environments. The mood and atmosphere are perfectly realized, and the pacing of the segments is on point. Of the four sections, each of which last about 30 minutes (2 hours for a full playthrough), the first section was my favorite, though I enjoyed them all. The third section suffered from requiring that the player read a manual in the environment that is super difficult to read at the highest graphics settings, and so I recommend having a walkthrough at the ready for moments when you feel stuck. Lastly, I think the experience was made a little weaker by tying all of the segments together in the end. The true nature of the stories is tragic, but the game is at its strongest when it is trying to scare you, which it is very good at. I don’t think it needed to explain anything that was happening, and doing so undermines the horror of the unknown. Frankly, I’m also pretty tired of the storytelling device used to explain everything. Anyway, the moment-to-moment experience is great, so, highly recommended!

Also playing Mr. Shifty. It’s a cool, simple action game that, as the devs put it, plays like Hotline Miami if you were Nightcrawler, able to BAMF! around the environment at will. It’s tight, controls very predictably (a good thing in a twitchy game like this), and propulsive, clocking in at about 4 hours for a full playthrough. The difficulty curve is very well-realized, which is evidenced by my death/attempt count increasing with every mission. The game feels like a product of prioritizing function over form. It’s pretty ugly and spare, but the mechanics are very sound. It could stand to have a bit more polish on it.

I have two problems with it: the flamethrower enemies are very difficult, because unlike other enemies who ‘line up’ their shots allowing for you to react, the flamethrower dudes will spurt out a tiny puff of flame that can drift in just the wrong way, very unpredictably. Since you die in one hit in this game, this can be very frustrating when you warp up to a flamethrower guy and die before you can even see the flame that has killed you.

My other problem is that the game is unstable. It’s crashed three times in as many hours of play, and now that I’m on the second-to-last mission, I lost 45 minutes of play because of the most recent crash, putting me at the beginning of the level when I loaded the game back up. Pretty weak.

Whatever the case, this is also a good game, and I also recommend it!

I’ve changed my opinion. The last two levels are unbelievably punishing, and the rooms in the last level are fucking intolerable and extremely, overly long. After over a hundred attempts on one of the last rooms, I just uninstalled the game. It was extremely unpleasant. If not being able to complete the game is okay, then up until the end, it’s good, and I recommend that part.

Attack on Titan 2 for the Switch.

I’m about 80% done with the main story.
If you’ve read about the bad frame rate, it’s true, there are some serious problems when a lot of titans or other characters are on screen. Unfortunately the late game missions have tended to practically fill the screen with titans.
On the positive side, they’ve nailed the physics of zipping around in ODM gear and killing giant naked men. The character creator is a nice touch, and the amount of content they’ve packed into this game is overwhelming.