What game are you playing?

Some thoughts about Alien Isolation:

It definitely pads for time. At one point, I had to go to the far end of a hall to unlock an area, then back to the other end to try a door, then back across to restart a generator, THEN BACK AGAIN TO ENTER THE AFOREMENTIONED DOOR. It’s one of the more notable example of “This needs to be “worth” $80” I think I’ve ever seen and I played NuGoW.

I kinda felt the challenge diminished near the end. Even on hard. I was hoping for more varied combos of enemies, more mixtures of armored humans, Joe’s in hazard suits, et cetera, but it’s mostly just the Alien who wasn’t super hard to fight off alone as flamethrower fuel was always nearby. I would be exploring Sevastopol, she would pop out like a cat and I’d use my spray bottle on her. I may give those challenge rooms a go, or play the campaign on nightmare, but eh.

APART FROM THAT STUFF THOUGH, it was a hell of a time. Earlier on, the gameplay is firing on all cylinders, the first couple encounters with the Xeno and hostile Joe’s are legit terrifying, ESPECIALLY THE JOE’S, and the first time I tossed a noisemaker in the middle of a group of humans, only to hide as the alien dropped down and butchered them all was incredible, Isolation has maybe my favorite sound design of any game, period.

Everything about the game’s general ambience kicks ass, really. The lighting, music, layout of the Sevastopol, the constant whirring and click-clacking of wholly impractical machinery all do a wonderful job of selling the incomprehensibly oppressive nature of the setting. Now I realize it’s just a copy, a facsimile of the '79 film, but it’s a fucking great one, and considering the Alien franchise hasn’t explored the original’s headspace all that much, I’ll take it (Though I still like Aliens more).

Also, my man, my bro, my absolute dude Harry Dean Stanton in a fucking video game. That’s pure gold.

I grabbed a second hand copy of No Man’s Sky last week just in case it got harder to find and put it on my “to play” shelf. Went to get it yesterday to install the update and realised it was sitting right next to the other second hand copy of No Man’s Sky I bought last year in anticiaption of updates that never got round to playing.

I facepalmed, installed the update and then went back to Factorio (as you do). I will be playing No Man’s Sky this weekend, at some point, though.

Started Monster Hunter World this week, around 15 hours in and I love the way Insect Glave changes the mobility of the game. I have just been playing Dragons Dogma so was a little worried it would feel too similar but flying around in the air is so fun.

I have decided that I can only hunt monsters that attack me first to somewhat morally justify and I am only capturing monsters if needed for progressing the story. This had led me to following a lot of monsters around the map and seeing how the engage with the environment waiting for another monster to make them angry.

I’m just over halfway into Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and I feel like I don’t have anything to say about this game that hasn’t already been said elsewhere but I love it and I love my robot dog friend.

Also I feel incredibly validated by its sincere, powerful love of butt rock. Brings me back to when I played the hell out of Shadow the Hedgehog for Gamecube as a kid.

I just started :mushroom: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker :mushroom: and it is a delight so far! I hope other games steal its miniature world / diorama aesthetic.

It’s also a nice contrast to the other game I’m currently playing on Switch, which is Hollow Knight. Both tonally (cheery vs. melancholy) and mechanically (contained puzzle solving vs. expansive exploration). I think Toad is going be my bedtime game and Hollow Knight will be my bus game -
and together they are just more proof of how great the Switch is. :wink:

I was playing more Fortnite Battle Royale with a buddy of mine recently and was finding it fun, but ultimately frustrating. 50v50 alleviated some of that frustration, but not fully.
So one day I decided to just try that Save The World mode I had heard of so long ago, well before the Battle Royale craze. And boy did it hook me almost immediately.
It’s clearly made to be F2P, but it’s not overtly offensive. I’ve not felt the need to spend any extra money even the slightest.
The progression is kind of grindy, but the moment to moment gameplay is fun and I have a different experience each time I play.
The randos in PVE are some of the nicest I’ve played with, and that may be because half of them are children. The few times someone has come in and been kind of dickish, a few pointed words have generally got them to shut up or clean up their act.
I’m hoping it goes fully free soon as I know a few people who’d probably enjoy it but don’t want to spend the initial money. Which is fair.

Now I’m keeping up the industrial horror streak with Metro 2033, and I’m playing it in Russian, obviously.

I actually kind of like how the ambient dialogue isn’t subtitled. It lends to an atmosphere of, well, isolation.

EDIT: scratch that, my copy of Octopath Traveler came in, so I’m playing that. I picked Alfyn, which I may come to regret because he’s starting to seem like the shonen protagonist of the group.

The Banner Saga 3. Took four years for Stoic Studio to complete the trilogy. But I’d love to play them back to back to back.

i would like to give a shoutout to a game i just finished called Wulverblade, a 2D brawler that is available on just about every platform. you play as some ancient britons resisting the invasion of the romans. it’s a short and sweet game with a pretty violent flair to it, a great time in couch co-op. the gameplay is pretty straightforward classic beat-em-up. i’d heard that it was a pretty difficult game, but i breezed through it with a buddy in a few hours with only really dying on bosses two or three times. just the right of challenge for this kind of game, i think.

BUT! the coolest part about it isn’t the game and how it plays, but all of the extra history of ancient britain that the devs put into it. there’s loads of history about ancient britain, videos of real historic sites that inspired levels in the game, small dev diary segments, etc. so for example there’s a fight at a roman fort, and after you beat it, on the world map of the game there’s a video of the ruins of the actual roman fort as it stands today, with a narrator describing the history of roman forts and walls in ancient britain and describing how the real locations inspired those in the game. this stuff really took the package to the next level for me. without it, you’ve got a fun brawler. with it, you can actually LEARN STUFF! and be inspired to potentially learn more! it’s really cool.

i don’t play nearly enough games that take the time to be educational at all, and if they do it’s kinda off to the side or buried in a menu, whereas Wulverblade clearly takes pride in its knowledge of lore and history and really foregrounds it. if anybody could recommend more games that do this kind of stuff it’d be much appreciated!

Sounds cool. This game has had a presence at just about every con/expo/event type thing I’ve been to in the UK for the past few years and it always caught my eye because I love the big chunky 2d art style, but I’ve never got to play it becuase I’m usually with my kid and it’s a bit to violent for him. Glad to see it’s finally been released, might have to check it out.

Captain Toad is such a good game for decompressing!

The soundtrack is BS in the best possible way (to MGR: Revengance)

It really is! There is something calming about being able to see that whole little world laid out for you

Splitting time between Octopath Traveller and Captain Toad’s Treasure Tracker… and then the No Man’s Sky Next update came out!

It’s nice knowing that at all times the solution is right there in that little piece of land.

The Suffering: Ties That Bind (the second one) has an AMAZING PC port. he console versions up the darkness and lack of visibility like the first game, but it does not work at ALL. The PC version fixes this, and while that means the flashlight is now pointless, you can actually enjoy all the cool stuff they made for this, especially the cutscenes. I just wish the game didn’t spoil the big twist IN THE FIRST CUTSCENE.

Basically,

Summary

Main character Torque and the villain Blackmore, who gets a name drop in the good end of the first game, are the same person. Torque has both rage issues, hinted to be PTSD related to his rough upbringing, and a second personality that he channels his violent and cruel tendencies in (especially the cruelty, since Blackmore is treated as more intelligent).

It was 2005 so this wasn’t played out yet. It works well.

The problem is that the second game does something INCREDIBLY STUPID.

Summary

Torque was a silent protagonist in the first game, and he’s sudden;y voiced in the second…by the same actor playing Blackmore. The guy does not at all attempt to change his voice at all. Originally it was the gazebo scene in the console version that gave it away (which is still very early), but that was because stuff was so hard to make out that I didn’t realize Torque actually says something in that opening scene right before Blackmore appears and talks. Once I realized that, I realized the game basically gave away what it was doing INSTANTLY.

Looking into it and that all sounds super advanced for a mid-2000’s action game

The Suffering has generally clunky third person shooting mechanics, but the presentation is really high, especially something that got published by Midway, probably one of the weakest publishers in history.

So… I’ve been on a bit of a Magic Arena bender this weekend. I forgot how deep Magic can get its hooks in me, but also how infuriating the game can be at times. Three mana-screwed games in a row is probably the angriest I ever get. I might end up deleting it for my own sanity. :frowning:

I have a kind of love/hate relationship with the new Tomb Raiders. On one hand, I like the ambition they have in treating Lara as more of a serious character rather than the sex symbol she became coming out of the 90s. Those games look amazing too, and there is a delight in exploring the environments, particularly the tombs. It’s just a shame that it falls for typical 3rd person shoot the PMCs (or stab them whilst concealed in the bush).

The Croft Manor DLC was fantastic though. It’s basically Tomb Raider does Gone Home. Does more to flesh Lara out as a character and is seeped in all the explorative/puzzle elements that are laced into the main game without the presence of any gun toting mercenaries. The story is really good as well, the whole quest to claim her rightful home and the Croft name, and also of course her home is essentially another big tomb itself. It’s a shame it wasn’t a larger part of the main game, because they have been forever building up to the point in which she becomes the tomb raider. The dlc felt as if she just quietly did.