What game are you playing?

I might. But the game has put me in an awkward spot. I’ve apparently missed an ammo pickup and am stuck at a checkpoint with almost no ammo and enemies in both directions. Can’t backtrack to refill, can’t move ahead. Best option is probably to restart the entire episode. Thank you, designers who did not include a melee attack, a sprint that lasts longer than five seconds, or backup checkpoints.

I’m sour >:/

Are you playing the console or PC version? Because the PC version is significantly harder. There’s no shame in playing on easy with that version.

I’ve been playing my Switch A LOT. Dead Cells, Bomber Crew, Bad North, and West of Loathing. It’s been my console of choice.

I’ve also been messing around with Rainbow Six Siege with a friend. It’s actually pretty cool! The gunplay feels so nice.

I’ve mentioned my son’s fixation on Mega Man and how we’ve been playing the first Legacy Collection more than once on here, but after I let it slip that there were more than 5 Mega Mans, he asked for the rest of them, so I went ahead and got the second Legacy collection and we’ve been playing a lot of that. Here are some thoughts on the later Megas Man:

• Bass is the Vegeta of Mega Man.
  • Mega Man 8 is really pretty! Those are some nice looking sprites that are animated well. The mets are adorable. But holy crap those cutscenes are embarrassing.
  • Mega Man 9 is some bullshit. Seriously. That game was made by monsters.
  • Mega Man 10 was made by angels. It has an easy mode that puts in floating platforms over some of the instant-death traps, which makes it possible for people that aren’t total masochists to actually make progress. Playing 10 on easy mode with extra armor actually let my 5-year-old see some success, and he managed to beat all of the robot masters without my help. It even gave him the confidence to go back to the other games and try them again on his own. I came home from work the other day and he excitedly told me he was able to beat Flash Man (from Mega Man 2). It was awesome.

Finished Dex, a 2D side-scrolling cyberpunk RPG that clearly takes a lot of inspiration from Deus Ex. It was really fun! Just controlling your character is fun in and of itself, and there’s a lot of fun characters to talk with. It’s also ridiculously beautiful, with a fully orchestrated score. I’m not so wild about a few small writing choices, particularly how it frames prostitution, and the endings just sort of stop. In fact, there’s barely any actual main story missions to speak of, the majority of the game is side questing.

But it starts becoming clear why that is when you look at a memorial hologram in the high rise (or the area near it). The game’s original lead designer apparently passed away during development, and he was also a main writer for the game, so that probably caused some issues. The fact they managed to put out something this polished and just fun to play despite those setbacks is worthy of some praise. I’d recommend it.

I finished the remake of The 25th Ward before that. It might be the best written thing Grasshopper Manufacture has ever made. Tokio from The Silver Case and Flower Sun and Rain gets some finality, with that final Yuki chapter really sending the turtle guy off in the most satisfying way possible. The Matchmaker story line feels incomplete but has some neat worldbuilding and gives the most traditional character arc of all three chapter collections. Tsuki and Osato are just a load of fun.

But SUDA 51’s Correctness chapters are definitely the star. It’s drenched in political and social commentary, and it’s shockingly on point in a lot of ways. My favorite bits deal with the postal service, this murderous government body that kills people for mundane slights like not organizing their recycling right. When you find out people are marked for death by neighbors sending complaints to the postal service and are fully aware of what that complaint will bring about, I was really surprised by how much twisted sense that made. Arguing that modern society and its suffocating, dehumanizing culture of conformity inspires the worst in us was so brilliantly on point.

But that’s a footnote in what is basically a six chapter Lynchian fever dream that questions the entire purpose of an audience surrogate in videogames that slowly breaks down the barrier between textual continuity, player interpretation, and awareness of the real to make a story that makes no logical sense yet says far more about its themes than any traditionally written tale ever possibly could.

Oh and the Black Out chapter they added for this version is amazing. You get to choose from 100 different text endings, most of which are complete nonsense, and getting all of them nets you a secret message where the player avatar talks to you and asks you for about 50,000 yen for his start up project. That may be the most SUDA 51 thing of all time.

Also started Parasite Eve 2, it is insanely pretty even by today’s standards and may very well be the only example of good tank controls in existence.

PC medium difficulty. I might just drop down to easy. The combat isn’t doing anything for me anyway. Since you’re recommending to I’ll try to push on to get to the better parts (hopefully longer than my last attempt, which I think led me to episode 4 or something).

Meanwhile, I dove into Max Payne 3 to finish it (and the trilogy) off. Funny enough, I noticed that this game starts refilling your health, giving you painkillers and ammo after dying a couple of times on the same checkpoint, which I could use in Alan Wake, lol. Pretty smooth, took me a while to notice it.

The shooting is all right in it but it relies heavily on being a cover shooter. The most efficient strategy is just sitting still and popping out with bullet time activated for a couple of quick shots. Very different from MP2 where you will run into danger and weave between bullets, which I overall found more satisfying. The story isn’t super enticing either, even if it goes for that Man on Fire vibe. It lampshades the “American savior in poor country” bit but also plays it out. And besides Passos (and the very few scenes with Da Silva) there’s no fun characters to connect to.

I’d need to sleep on it a bit too, but I don’t like that it mostly throws Max’s arc from the second game away. I liked how that game ends on Mona showing Max that there’s always a choice and he seemingly uses that to move on from feeling guilty for his family’s death. Here he is again back in that swamp and Mona is thrown away with a line calling her a “mistake”. Pretty disappointing. I’m curious about what Sam Lake and the rest of Remedy thinks of it.

Gotta admit though that Rockstar is pretty good with cinematics. They cut into them super smoothly from gameplay (best I’ve seen since Mafia 3, although that of course came out later) and they’re well paced.

I think pretty much every game I pay these days is one I’ve seen Waypoint stream on Twitch. Currently on Dead Cells, No Man’s Sky, and having another run at Frozen Cortex 1. I’ve got plenty of time at the moment, so gaming actually doesn’t seem like an extravagance.

How have you felt about Bad North? I am super curious about the game but am having the hardest time finding reviews or comments.

I downloaded Plague Inc. on my phone again and have been playing that a lot. They’ve added a ton of custom scenarios and 4 new “special” disease types (including one sponsored by one of the Planet of the Apes movies…?) since I last played it.

I’ve been eyeing it too. GB just put up a quick look.

For some reason Into the Breach didn’t quite grab me when it first came out, but I randomly decided to go back and it finally clicked when I learned to let go of my “make a little mistake > ABORT TIMELINE” tendencies. Ended up even getting all the achievements, which I usually never have the patience to go for.

Right now I’m at the final stretch of Yakuza 0 and had a lot of fun with its particular blend of melodrama and humor, especially in the way that it doesn’t take itself too seriously. Despite some real bad stuff (the game’s treatment of women and minorities in general ranges from questionable to terrible), the empathy that Kiryu and Majima as characters demonstrate to the ones around them and the way they’re both capable of dealing with issues not only using fists and violence, but also with their words and compassion felt really nice, especially for male protagonists in a triple A action game.

I’ve also just started the Pathologic 2/remake alpha build and I’d kinda forgotten how much I missed being in this universe. No spoilers, but from what I’ve played so far (about 3h-ish) it feels strange, overwhelming and impenetrable in familiar ways and I love it. Great writing, which is to be expected. And so far the survival mechanics are just as ruthless as the original game. Can’t wait for the final release!

You are super correct.

I finished Dishonored: Knife of Dunwall and the Brigmore Witches And i found them an solid improvement on the base game in every way. The Level Design was better, Your power set was greatly expanded in fun ways. At three missions a piece i think they were paced perfectly and didn’t overstay their welcome. I actually wanted to go ghost through the missions and was able to do that through the Brigmore Wtiches. The story was an improvement, though i really wouldn’t’ call it anything great. It really just replaces a terrible story about political intrigue, to a JJ Abrams mystery box style plot. Still, going from terrible to passable is a large improvement. Though i’m curious to so how threads actually intersect with later games, as characters from these games do show up in 2 and DotO. I’m curious to know if Daud himself will actually show up again. Because knowing what was confirmed in 2, its hard to believe in character that Corvo would ever spare him. He’s basically the “i’m an terrible human being but i’m conflicted and a pretty great guy to my friends therefore i’m empathic” character seen across media writ large, but Corvo was such a non-entity that anything is a massive improvement.

In short, i think it really brought out the best in the first game. I’m probably gonna take a week or so and do other things before moving on to Dishonored 2 to avoid any sort of burn out. Here is hoping the second is a improvement in every way.

This (the whole perfectionism = let it all burn) thing is also my story with Into The Breach. I only have one set of mechs to unlock now, although having heard about the Secrets, it’s sort of putting me off.

[Also, still bouncing off Dead Cells, which isn’t really its fault, given that I’m playing it on keyboard only on a laptop and not at all good at Metroidvanias. ]

Star Citizen is having a free weekend and heaven help me I’m going to give it a go.

Playing Super Castlevania IV right now. Hit a part where the world starts to rotate and all is lost… Kind of fun, definitely feels old, especially after playing Donkey Kong Country and seeing how well that plays even now.

i finally managed to slay the spire with the silent—i got serious and looked into the statistics but i also had an absurdly good run with really powerful relics: i had a noxious fumes and block run and i got the relic that transferred poison after death, various dexterity increasers, the one that lets you only lose 15 block instead of all of it each turn, combined with the relic that lets you come back with half health if you die (which I didn’t even end up using). i also had the combo of burst and catalyst which i would recommend as a finisher for any poison build: burst activates the next skill you use twice and catalyst triples an enemy’s poison count. with an upgraded after image and like 2 footworks it wasn’t even close.

After a few false starts (Super Castlevania IV and Wolfenstein The New Order), I settled on going to GameStop and picking up something cheap and interesting. Found Sunset Overdrive for less than $5. It’s definitely…interesting. The traversal stuff works well in larger areas, but feels clunky the moment things tighten up. Which is unfortunately where a lot of combat takes place. The world is also overly cluttered. Necessary for the movement stuff to work, but it also makes it difficult to give each area a unique memorable feel. The tone also feels like a bad Microsoft millennials ad, but I’m still having fun with it. I can’t help but crack a smile every time I open up the character clothing customization options and think of what Rob and Austin would bring to that experience.

I’ve been bouncing between a whole bunch of different games lately.

No Man’s Sky is a game I put a ton of time into, hoping it would eventually turn into something that wasn’t a survival grind. It did not, and I gave up. It really does feel like they tried to tack a game onto a procgen simulator in the laziest way possible. That said, if you’re in a mood for never ending resource grinding, the actual act of harvesting resources is pretty relaxing.

I was thinking about playing Witcher 3, realized I had the previous two games in my game pile, and fired up The Witcher Enhanced Edition. I … do not recommend doing that. The writing is pretty decent, but the combat is an absolute drag, and the sex collector mechanic is super gross. I haven’t decided if I’ll try to finish it off, or just skip to the second game.

Dead Cells is pretty hard for me, and I’m reading more and more about how the collection mechanics in that game (scrolls, blueprints) are actually a trap that makes the game harder, without it being obvious or telegraphed to the player. But that’s all irrelevant, as I’m barely making any progress to begin with.

The King’s Bird is a just released platformer that’s sold as a game about free flying movement and momentum. Actually, it’s Celeste with a flying mechanic. That’s great if you like tough as nails platformers, but I barely cleared the tutorial levels, couldn’t clear the first real level, and decided that needing to cheat through an entire game was just not worth it.

Real talk: I’m getting really, really tired of interesting mechanics getting married to copypaste, spike heavy platformers. For this game in particular, it’s weird that nobody told the design team that the design goals of free movement and super-hard platforming are completely at odds with each other. That flying mechanic really belongs in an adventure or exploration game, and I’m super bummed that I’ll probably never see that game.

So lately I’ve finished:

Moonlighter - I really liked this at first, but it dragged at the end. The dungeons are essentially just palette swaps and the first few upgrades you unlock are the most impactful, so within a few hours you’ve seen everything the game has to offer, and then it goes on for a while after that. It’s a shame, because the art is lovely and there’s something really satisfying about the core gameplay loop of exploring dungeons and tending your shop. I think if the combat had more depth and you tweaked the structure, it could have been something special.

Unavowed - I liked this so much I might actually go back and give it another run, which is rare for me. It only took me six or seven hours, so that’s not too bad. I actually wanted it to last longer, which says more about how much I liked existing in its world than anything else. There was one plot beat in particular that made me burn through the rest of the game, and even though all the characters are strong, there’s one with a dedicated mid/late-game mission that really pierced my defenses.

And I’m still plugging away at Final Fantasy VI and Yoku’s Island Express. The latter is surprisingly great (I’m more than halfway finished with it and I only meant to give it a quick look before saving it for later) and I made it to the World of Ruin in the former, which means I’m finally past where I stopped playing as a kid. The new overworld music reminds me of Nico, and I can’t complain about that. Once I’m done with those, I think Yakuza 0 and Super Metroid are next.

Dead Cells is hard and no-one will pretend otherwise, but playing and experimenting are how to improve. It does take time. My first finished run on the easiest difficulty came after nearly 30 hours of play. I’ve watched a few streamers playing on the hardest difficulty and again, it’s just about playing.

Don’t get too attached to each run, and let yourself put it down if it starts getting frustrating.