What game are you playing?

Fun Fact!

The Japanese treat english words like we treat Japanese words - badly in a poor attempt to seem cool.

But in this game’s particular case, it’s a deliberate style and atmosphere choice, since it has a very “light novel/visual novel fantasy story” type of set-up and cast to it to makes everything feel weighty and serious in a particular way.The crazy part is that the text is perfectly readable and actually connects to a theme or idea being presented with the selected characters or stages.

I just finished SOMA! I’ve been meaning to give it a shot for a while after hearing about the addition of safe mode; I don’t like scary media because I’m a big baby, but I’ve always heard the writing was excellent, so the prospect of playing it without getting hunted down by terrible monsters was really appealing. It was still scarier than I would have liked, and the safe mode had a few holes poked in it, but Simon and Catherine were delightful and honestly depicted characters. It was 99% worth the startles.

On one of those safe mode holes:

Summary

I read ahead about the monsters’ behaviour in safe mode just so I wouldn’t get jumpscared if possible, but when I read Jin Yoshida’s it said that he won’t do anything but follow me around, and that I was even free to touch him. This excited me, so I ran up to him, said hi, y’know. Of course, I got bored after a few moments of unresponsiveness, so I tried to move past him so I could get moving. He seemed to jolt a little bit when I pushed into him, so I really put my back in it, pushing to try and get him out of my way. He picked me up and attacked me, making me black out. Honestly, I deserved it, safe mode or not. There’s no reason to be so pushy and rude. I decided to apologize next time I saw him.

But when I did wake up, I found that I was where I’d hit the floor, and Jin was on the other side of me from before. Even as I was being a big robot jerk, he respected my desire to get to the rest of the video game. Jin Yoshida is a true gentleman. We hung out for the rest of that floor. I wish he knew how to climb ladders.

I couldn’t bring myself to type the whole name its just way too much…

I’m slowly going through 2064: Read Only Memories, and I gotta say that it’s so refreshing to play something with cyberpunk aesthetics that isn’t completely grimdark. Plus, the emphasis on inclusive casting of characters really shows the lack of diversity in most other games. I’m only on chapter 2, but so far the game has its hooks deep in me.

I really liked it a lot myself, and that was before they added the additional story bits.

It REALLY sucks to hear that the studio was run by a real heel of a person who basically psychologically abused his staff, because this was one of the first major queer games I ever played.

Oh crap, I hadn’t realized there was some shady shizz behind 2064. Why can’t anything just be good in 2018?!

Having nabbed it for free on PC because that’s a wild thing, been playing Destiny2 (still available until the 18th, free to keep forever).

It’s alright. Guns Feel Nice, as has been said by everyone who’s touched even the first one. I like being a robot lady, even if your character looks constantly surprised. It’s a ice place to hang around and slowly gain power levels doing low-energy stuff. Been juggling between a Titan and a Warlock because I’m not in any hurry to go through the extremely thinks-it-has-more-impact-than-it-does story.

So, for people that have played Prey, I have a question that possibly (probably) involves spoilers. I don’t want a specific answer as to what it is, but is there any reason outside of achievements/trophies to NOT give yourself the typhon nueromods? I don’t know if the plot revolves around this choice beyond a Bioshock style “you harnessed two little sisters so you get a slightly different cut scene at the end.” I don’t want to cut myself off from a bunch of gameplay choices for no reason other than a digital trinket when the credits roll.

The only affect on the gameplay that I really noticed when I played the game is that turrets will attack you because you have Typhon DNA in you. So you’ll need a way to disable/hack them. Other than that I don’t think there was a major gameplay difference. I didn’t play with only human abilities so I could be wrong, but based on my playthrough the turrets seemed like the only thing that would change based on whether or not you chose to take Typhon abilities or not.

So no real effect on the ending either? Good to know, thank you.

Mild spoilers in my answer (nothing severe enough to blur).

I’m halfway through my pure Typhon playthough, but my understanding is that while the game will acknowledge your choice to use Typhon neuromods in the ending, turrets will attack you, slightly more Nightmares will appear (I think, there certainly seems to be more than in my human-only playthrough), certain elements in the game will glow red instead of blue (detecting Typhon tissue), it’s not interested in punishing you for that choice. Experimenting with Typhon abilities is an intended, supported part of the game.

Cool, just wanted to make sure. Unlike Dishonored where refusing to use magic forced me into more interesting decisions and tactics, so far the basic combat of Prey has been pretty underwhelming so anything to mix that up and make it dynamic would be welcome. They just seemed to lay it on pretty thick when the option first arose.

Having finally picked up AC: Origins I’m really enjoying it. All the quests are interesting so far and the things you do seem more “human” compared to most other games. The fact that you play a cop/social worker hybrid is very good at times. Though I had to take some breaks from the main story because they are pressing the “isn’t it tragic if all those parents lost their children” button too much at times.

Aya is very good.

I’m playing Origins too and yeah, they sure do love them some dead kids. There’s a specific section halfway through the game that really got to me. The game explores how people deal with grief with a lot of patience and empathy.

I’m catching up on my PS+ library by playing 2064: Read Only Memories and Yakuza Kiwami.

Kiwami is a bit of a trip, as my only prior Yakuza experience was the OG poorly dubbed version back in 2005. I just got to purgatory and I’m starting to remember my playthrough from 15 years ago, and it’s amazing how well they updated the game for modern sensibilities. I recall falling off around the time that enemies started wielding guns, but we’ll see if I can get through it this time around. The dynamic combat difficulty ought to help in that respect.

2064 has been a fantastic game to fall asleep to, and I certainly don’t mean that as an insult. It’s got a compelling story that manages to deliver a satisfying plot beat even in a 10-15 minute session, and 2mello’s soundtrack is chill enough that I can relax to it. It might be a while until I beat this game at the rate I’m going, but I’m enjoying it all the same. Also, the Vita port is great, but it’s a bummer that it isn’t cross-save with PS4.

I am about to replay KRZ for the… third time? My partner will be joining me for this circuit so we will both be fresh for the eventual last episode. We may also dip into Deltarune at the same time, trading off controls. She’s a big Undertale fan, and I always enjoy watching her play through it.

Small world, I started replaying Yakuza 2 on the PS2. I originally played it with a focus on the main plot, but now I’m playing it as a Yakuza game is designed to be played - actively look for all the side stuff so you get abilities that make the main story much less frustrating. The Koreans are absolute bastard enemies, but I think I’m gonna have a much easier time with them now that I have two new heat moves that are designed to punish incoming attacks and gun wielding.

And this time, I will absolutely do all the Cabaret stuff because you get a mess of experience from it. I did do the host club side stuff last time, though, and it was the quest that helped me realize just how genuinely amazing and ridiculous this series really was.

It’s all holding up really well compared to the first release, which is basically unplayable for the first half of the game. Having the quick step dodge at start makes fights MUCH less frustrating.

I jumped back into Dark Souls: Remastered over the weekend. I trailed off around the bottom of Blighttown when it was released this spring/summer (what is time?), so to start off with I went down to Ash Lake, was terrified by the hydra because I forgot it could jump out of the water, got cursed on my way back up, fought Quelaag, did everything I could in Darkroot Garden, got through Sen’s Fortress, made it to Anor Londo, used the Black Eye Orb, and got invaded by someone named BackstabGirl (she lived up to her name).

All of that was pretty frictionless, but now I’m starting to run up against some resistance with Ornstein and Smough. I’ve fought them about a dozen times, and had some really close calls, but I haven’t pulled it off yet. Part of that is probably because I’m trying to kill Smough first, which I haven’t done before, and because I’m not using sorceries this time around. At this point it’s turned into a personal vendetta against Ornstein, because he’s almost always the one to kill me, and he usually does it with some sneaky tracking attack whenever I lose sight of him for more than a second or two. I’m not too frustrated yet, but I would like to move on soon so I can get to areas I’m less familiar with.

It’s taken me all year because I only ever play it during commutes or bathroom breaks but I’m finally at the last dungeon in Final Fantasy 6 on the GBA.

Speaking as someone who is playing it for the first time ever, this game hasn’t aged very well, but I also wonder how many of my complaints are simply because of the glacial pace I’ve been playing it at.

I also had a similar situation with FFVI. Like I get why it’s so revered for what it did, but i just don’t think it has aged as well as contemporaries like Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, or Earthbound. It might be because I only played the SNES Final Fantasy games years after release, but I think they’re all perfectly fine JRPGs that aren’t too different from one another. So FFVI being hailed as a landmark feels a bit hyperbolic.