What game are you playing?

Okay, so I bought my first iOS game, Meteorfall, and ummmm it is really cool? I’ve always been afraid of buying a mobile game cause I’m a weirdo. There are all these “free” games out there and sure those have artificial paywalls baked in to the design but there is some gameplay that can be fun before that point.

Meterofall may have dangerously changed my perception of mobile games. It is a rougelike card game. You have a selection of 5 heroes who each have unique decks. Each deck is unique enough to present their own challenges of how to tackle the journey. There is a knight filled with attack-based, stamina training cards, a cleric type hero who is all about spells that can heal and attacks that build off your heals, and hey there is more. I feel like I’m being prepped for actual board/card games after playing this. I always have been intimitated by those games because of all the rules, mechanics, and time it would take to get comfortable. Sure, this took some time but after 10-15 minutes things felt manageable. I understood how cards connected and how to build a deck. That’s the other part of the game, building a strong deck. Throughout the journey, you will mostly be met with monsters to fight but there also narrative type pop-ups where you make choices that will have consequences now or later. You are also presented with choices of two of the following: rest, shop, temple (where you can discard cards for a price), treasure, and blacksmith. Most times it won’t matter but as you get closer and closer to the boss of the stage decisions will probably be a bit tougher, unsure of whether you have all the cards you need to tackle the boss or have enough health/magic charges to run through them.

I don’t know. I wasn’t expecting to enjoy this game this much. I have completed a full run with one character and will now attempt to run through the others. I’m probably going to be sad when it is over but I’ll enjoy the journey.

As I work through a replay of Devil May Cry 3 (btw still the best action game ever made), I decided to finally start Devil May Cry 4. Yeah, you can tell this got released during that period of time when every major publisher and graphics designer went bananas over the Xbox 360 and PS3’s graphical capabilities. There’s a weird motion blur there I could only stop by removing the sprint ability, which means finishing levels takes longer but I can properly see what everything is supposed to be and I’m not getting sick just playing the game. Also, lots of bloom, not as much as other games from this time period, but it gets distracting at points.

Despite that, Nero is a really fun character to control once you wrap your brain around the uses of his devil arm grappling. I’m definitely going to be replaying a lot of missions to get a better feel for how he functions and grinding for proud souls to get more combos and upgrades. I hear his charge shot is really good, so I want to see what it’s like on later levels besides the first.

So I paid absolutely no attention at all to Subnautica until I got it yesterday and fast forward 6 or so hours I feel real bad now for writing it off as just another survival game because I think it’s absolutely in my top 3 for the year now.

If you slept on it like I did you absolutely need to try it. I really don’t even want to talk about certain parts of the game because they are things you definitely should just experience. This is definitely a game where the less you know going in the better.

DMC4 is a weird one because it’s a such a bizarre mix of design elements that often really don’t fit together and a bonkers Capcom-as-fuck structure, but Holy shit is it fun to play. I’ve finished it maybe 6 times now just because of it feels to play both characters.

I started playing Persona 5 this weekend. Boy is that a weird experience. I’m 8 hours in and I feel like I’m finally finishing the tutorial.
There are a lot of cool things going on with this game, so I can see why people love it. There’s also a lot of pretty gross stuff.
It reminds me of Pokemon in the sense that the parts that are good are 10/10. And there isn’t a good alternative if you want this particular experience. There aren’t any jrpgs with social dynamics that are executed this well with this level of production, as far as I can tell. So it seems like you can either scratch that itch and deal with the shitty stuff, or don’t play anything.

Hey, I downloaded Meteorfall on the strength of this post and I’m really digging it so far! Thanks :smiley:

I finished Celeste. It was really really wonderful. Easy game of the year for me, and i don’t think its thatttt close. I’m gonna try to tackle the B sides, but shit i don’t know if i can do it. We shall see.

I’ve also been picking away at Breath of the Wild still. This game is wonderful. I finished my last divine beast last night, and am trying to beat a lot of the more substantial shrine quests and finding the memories before finally making the final trek to Gannon. its a bit strange to be on the downward slope for such a sprawling game. And i don’t think gannon will be the end of it, i’m sure i’ll be revisiting this game for a long time to come to finish shrines and stuff, but still, a nice form of bittersweet for sure.

Subnautica has been on my radar for a while but I wanted to wait till it was out of early access, then I kind of waited for a sale, etc. but I’m absolutely engrossed in it now. It pulls me in in so many of the same ways that Minecraft and Terraria did, and it’s absolutely gorgeous to boot.

There’s something to be said about the idea of an open world that’s constrained by survival mechanics. It’s so satisfying to slowly improve your base and equipment so that you can go on more and more daring expeditions. It has the discovery element of open world games but the right pacing to make every new landmark discovery an awesome experience. It’s amazing how many times in 10 hours or so of Subnautica that I’ve gasped in awe as something looms into view.

I bought Titanfall 2 on origin because it was on sale and there was an extra 30% off code.

I started and beat the campaign in one day. It was good fun and didn’t outlast its welcome. Glad I spent the discounted amount instead of a full price for this game though. I don’t plan to play multiplayer, and the campaign was so short that I would have felt a bit ripped off.

Still, it was a varied and fun experience throughout, and definitely think it’s worth the $7 I paid.

@keydemographics Finishing up my 4th playthrough of DMC4 right now and this is pretty much exactly how I feel about it. Everything that isn’t a fight ranges from tedious to infuriating, but good LORD some of those fights are just absolutely incredible. Nero’s grab/finisher arm is fluid and versatile, style switching as Dante feels like cheating with how many possibilities it opens up, and Vergil in the Special Edition gets a major tune-up from DMC3 (where he was already fun as hell). Giving him an extra super meter that fills up by acting like an edgy anime boy is an inspired mechanic.

I’ve also been working through Rakuen which hasn’t totally grabbed me yet - a lot of the vignettes feel a little maudlin, and compared to To the Moon (which was basically a VN) I feel like this has too much puzzle-y stuff and most of it feels like busywork. Soundtrack is excellent of course though, and I really like the writing in some of the smaller character interactions. The convos with the kid about her imaginary marble worlds are very cute and authentic.

Bought Hadean Lands on a whim in the Itch sale this summer and I honestly couldn’t think of a more “I’m never going to finish this” game if I tried. It’s a long, puzzle-heavy interactive fiction adventure where the core mechanic is figuring out how to perform weird alchemy rituals to solve puzzles. I’ve gotten past the first bit without much trouble, but right now my pockets are stuffed with about 20 different reagents and I’m terrified of running into a brick wall because I missed a Tincture of Some Fuckin Bullshit, Whatever Man hiding under a desk or something. Still if that description sounds up your alley, the writing is very good and there’s a lot to see here (that I in all likelihood never will).

I don’t have a PS4 for the new one, so I’ve been playing Earth Defense Force 4.1 with a friend and it’s maybe my favorite co-op game ever? Between the hordes of ragdolling enemies, the cheesy transliterated dialogue, and the total lack of regard for anything resembling “game balance,” it’s been an absolute blast. I’m surprised at how much variety the game is able to get out of a pretty limited number of assets, too; last night’s play session included the standard “mow down hordes of giant bugs in an exosuit” but also an enormous mech vs. kaiju slugfest and a midair dogfight against a swarm of fire-breathing dragons?? It’s absolute hot nonsense and it rules.

Below is a beautiful, moody, lonesome overhead roguelike action/exploration game with light survival/crafting, a cool gameplay mechanic involving various forms of light, wrapped in the Souls model of bonfires, shortcuts, and corpse runs. It’s extremely mysterious, and if you like just being shoved into some ancient lore without any explanation whatsoever, you’ll probably find it so compelling that, when it inevitably crashes or locks up, you’ll reload and keep playing, just as I have.

Welp, I finished Unforseen Incidents even though I said I wasn’t going to finish games just for the sake of finishing them anymore. It was fine. There were moments where it started to settle into a groove and build towards a sort of desolate X-Files vibe, but I don’t think it ever totally got there. The main character annoyed me throughout, which was only exacerbated by the fact that there’s a better character who’s constantly getting sideline who would have been more interesting to play as. There were a bunch of really obvious, predictable plot developments towards the end, and the last act felt undercooked in general.

Oh, and anyone who tries to tell you this is an adventure game that doesn’t lapse into adventure game logic is a liar. I never would have figured out what to do with that damn scarecrow without a guide.

I’m currently playing through Pillars of Eternity II and liking it a lot more than the first one. Part of it is the lighter tone and the more interesting setting of the carribean-like Deadfire, but mostly I like that the game is more open-ended and that the different factions are a lot more developed and distinct (although it is a bit weird to have the very over-the-top pirates alongside the Valians, a faction similar to the real-world East India Company, whose evil has a more realistic tone to it). I also like a lot how this time around your companions not only react to the things the pc does/says but also to each other. For example after a couple of snide remarks about the gods by my paladin Pallegina, the party’s priest started an argument with her. At first this reminded me a bit of the arguments between crew members in Mass Effect, but here your party members have these different character traits (like “pious” or “likes animals”) and every time you or another companion says something relevant a short text like “Aloth shakes his head in disagreement” appears and only after a certain point the argument starts. It’s not much, but it helps to convey the feeling that your companions have interests other than you. Also you have a ship and your crew sings shanties with lore-appropiate lyrics which is fun.

Other than that I’ve been replaying Fallout 4 but this time I gave myself more or less infinite carry weight per console command and I’m ignoring the main plot. It’s a lot of fun but I rarely play it for longer than an hour or so.

I recently bought Fallout 4 (it was on sale for $15) and have been plugging my way through it. It’s my first Fallout game, despite the warnings of my Fallout-fan best friend.
The thing I’m most struck by is how differently I perceive it with the sound on and off. With the sound off, I tend to see the world as dark but slightly whimsical, filled with exaggerated characters that are hard to take seriously. With the sound on, the tone becomes somber and serious, and the world feels strange. It’s amazing what a difference music can make.
I’m enjoying the game overall, but I feel it lacks a strong sense of place. I live in Boston, but the game doesn’t really remind me of it. I think partly it’s because the Commonwealth is parched and dusty, when the real New England is defined by it’s lushness.

I picked up the remaster of The Last Remnant and I wonder if there’s anyone who’s played it that can answer a question for me:

Is Rush this much of a tool for the entire game?

I have played about an hour, and already he is up there with Vaan for worst JRPG protagonist of all time. He’s just so. Fucking. Stupid.

In the game’s opening, Rush is searching for his sister. He stumbles upon a large-scale battle, sees a female soldier right in the middle (Emma, who we come to find out is at least a foot taller, 10 years older, and otherwise looks absolutely nothing like his sister) and charges right into the middle of this clash. After an explosion, they fall through the ground into a large cave.

Click for a dramatic interpretation of Rush and Emma's moment in the cave
*Scene: Rush and Emma are clearly standing in the middle of a large cave. There is a ray of light coming from the hole they fell through at the top of the cave. There are stalactites and stalagmites visible in this cave.*

Rush: What happened?

Emma: Obviously, the Gae Bolg [a magic superweapon] weakened the ground and we fell into this cave. Were you even paying attention? Who the hell are you?! Are you a spy?! ANSWER ME OR I WILL KILL YOU WHERE YOU STAND. {ed. - I may have punched this up for dramatic effect, but not by much}

Rush: pause

Rush: looks around what is very, clearly, obviously a large cave, confused

Rush: pause

Rush (like a total dipstick): Cave?

{ed. note: HOLY HELL, *THAT'S* WHAT YOU'RE CONFUSED ABOUT, YOU COMPLETE NITWIT?!}

They somehow manage to make it out, despite the fact that Rush has seemingly never had an interaction with another human in his life. He asks imbecilic questions, blatantly ignores obvious social cues even with a sword literally at his throat, and asks no follow-up questions in situations that definitely call for follow-up questions.

That Square managed to squeeze such devastating character assassination into maybe 10 lines of dialogue is actually impressive.

tl;dr - unless someone can assure me that this walking, talking, mouth-breathing peabrain of a main character turns it around tout suite, I don’t know if I can keep going.

Wow really glad you are enjoying it so far!

It’s been a few years since I played The Last Remnant so I don’t remember many specifics but I think Vaan from FFXII is a pretty good comparison. They’re both that mostly-empty audience surrogate that is there to ask all the basic questions and let all the characters around them be the interesting ones. I remember liking the other characters around Rush a bit, but I don’t remember any details or particular moments so maybe I don’t actually like them as much as I think I did.

Yeah I’ve beaten it with a few characters now it’s a lot of fun! There are a couple of things I wish it had: more variety between the different regions, and a way to make a fully custom starting deck.

So i bought Hitman 2 because it was half off for the Holidays. Its the 3rd, (and honestly, probably the last given my cash/time restrictions) of the games I missed on launch and wanted to try out before the end of the year.

And to be honest, after the first Beach House and the Tutorial mission, i was honestly pretty iffy on the game. It was very much a “here are the controls, now go be creative!”. Which isn’t totally my cup of tea. But this evening was session number two, and uhhh, i may have played the Miami mission 6 times.

Hitman can really have that sort of effect; the game still has its hooks in me after 100 hours.