What Games Are You Trying to Finish Before the Year Is Over?

On Waypoint Radio, we briefly touched on some of the games the Waypoint crew is playing, as we begin to consider our candidates for game of the year. It’s been an unbelievably exhausting year for reasons good and bad—too many great video games, too much awful news to digest. Thankfully, one has helped me cope with the other!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/3kpbm8/what-games-are-you-trying-to-finish-before-the-year-is-over

Despite having my top 10 for the year pretty much locked in, Black Friday tricked me into picking up a handful of cheap new releases to dash through. I finished Wolfenstein II (and The New Order before it, since I passed on it years ago), played about an hour of Nioh before deciding it was a little too much for me, and now I’m trying to get through The Evil Within 2.

I’d really like to make time to finish Pyre before the year is out, but I think I put it down for too long to still be invested. I’m also at the end of Golf Story but I think I’ve seen enough…that game runs just a few hours too long IMO.

Oh, and I just started Battle Chef Brigade after hearing Austin’s glowing praise for it! I really love it so far. Hoping I can get that and Evil Within sorted before the year is done.

I’m still working through Nier: Automata (which, if I’m being honest, will not make my top 10 unless endings C,D, and E end up being transcendent). After that, I hope to squeeze in Doki Doki Literature Club and then Horizon: Zero Dawn will probably take me to Christmas. Hopefully by then the Zelda DLC is released so I can dive back into that, along with finally getting around to Super Mario Odyssey’s post-story content.

That leaves stuff like Observer, Cuphead, Pyre, Night in the Woods, and plenty more that will have to wait until January at the earliest. When did video games turn into work? :sweat_smile:

I recently wrapped up Wolfenstein and have been obsessively playing Assassin’s Creed: Origins, the latter of which I am liking way more than I thought I would (shout out to my partner who convinced me to pick it up at launch). I am also playing XCOM 2: War of the Chosen and jumping into Splatoon 2 matches when I have time. Oh, and I want to go back to Mario’s endgame, continue Life is Strange: Before the Storm and Pyre…put more time into Heat Signature…the new Hitman content and elusive targets I missed…and I bought and haven’t touched Tacoma, Quadrilateral Cowboy, The Evil Within 2, and Dishonored 2: Death of the Outsider.

Am I missing anything? Oh yeah, Rob and Patrick convinced me to download Zombi because I remember liking the hour or so I played of it on Wii U.

And that says nothing of the games I am interested in but haven’t picked up, yet.

While it is certainly an embarrassment of riches, I am starting to wonder why I feel the need to play games like a games journalist. I am an adult with a full time job and there are other things I want to do with my time. Am I really missing out that much by waiting? I recently played through Bloodborne for the first time and it is one of my favorite games of the year. Not to mention I got it for $8.

Depending on how much you’ve played of route C in Automata, I think it might just do that for you. I think after you get ending B, the game really starts to break into an interesting stride.

The New Colossus (shouldn’t be an issue finding time for that, not part of the axis of extremely long games this year); possibly get enough into GT Sport to maybe get that onto a best of list (would be helped a lot if the League update happens this coming week); Everybody’s Golf (??? Great sale price but not even started it so only played the beta version so far); I bet I won’t have time for Death of the Outsider (not even picked it up yet so… Steam winter sale fodder and play through before NYE?); but maybe the big one that’s not on everyone’s list will be Life is Strange: Before the Storm (final ep dropping on the 20th) even if the deluxe episode with Max isn’t until 2018 (so we can all put it on our best of lists two years in a row :smiley: ).

Got a little bit left in Night in the Woods and Horizon: Zero Dawn, both of which I’ve been very intrigued with their stories. I haven’t even started Pyre yet but people are telling me I need to play Pyre so I’ll play Pyre. I kind of wanna give Observer a shot, it looked too abrasive from GB’s quick look but hearing Patrick say it’s not really jump scare-y makes me want to give it a fair shot.
Still haven’t finished Super Mario Odyssey, mostly because I’ve kind of relegated it to playing on the go, or at my mom’s house when she’s watching evening TV.
There’s not much beyond that I’m looking to get through before the end of the year, most of the big titles I’ve been interested in I’ve already completed.

Yakuza 0 for me. It’s a game I intended on playing when it first came out, but didn’t get to because of other games. I actually completely forgot about it until I saw Danika tweeting about it and it and Kiwami happened to be on sale.

I’m only like four chapters in but I have the whole month off so I’m hoping I can finish it before my classes start again.

I’m kinda done with the games I really wanted to finish. Games like Cuphead and Tacoma are ones I want to save for the relaxing winter times. I find it useful to finish the big games first before doing the more lighter stuff if possible.

I was working through The Witcher 3 but now it crashes every time I open the inventory. Apparently they are working on a patch so I’ll just wait. I know it would be wise to finish Persona 5 before GotY podcasts start spoiling it but Austin mentioned Trails in the Sky on a recent podcast and now all I can think about is how much I’d rather start Trails in the Sky Second Chapter (and maybe 3, since it’s a 2017 game). The sequel to Reigns just came out yesterday so I might jump into that just to get another 2017 game under my belt (currently I’ve played 9).

I’ll eventually get Yakuza 0 and Kiwami, but time and money is… time and money, and I feel like I got a good sense of the game through Best in the East, not to get spoiled at least.

The only game I hope to finish is Persona 5, everything else I assume I’ll start and abandon forever or play/finish sometime in the next year or so.

I already know I won’t be finishing a lot of stuff that came out this year. Wolf2, Xenoblade, Yakuza Kiwami, FFXIITZA, Mario plus more. What I’ll be focusing on for the rest of the year is:

Battle Chef Brigade
Pyre
Trails in the Sky the 3rd
Gravity Rush 2

I finished off the #1 game I knew I needed to play, Butterfly Soup, last night. To anyone reading this: please play Butterfly Soup.

I think I’ve decided I’m not going to try and rush. I wanted to playthrough Nier Automata before all the inevitable spoilercasts were out but I’m not going to stress myself by giving myself a deadline. It’ll be spoiled or it won’t.

I may play some more Yakuza Kiwami but there’s a 90% chance I’ll just be playing Stardew Valley.

Here’s hoping. I just finished ending B and haven’t started my C play through yet. I know I’ve been slagging this game quite a bit on the forums, but part of me just wants to understand why everyone has been raving about it. That and I’ve put in nearly 20 hours into the game and I want to get something out of it.

C is where a lot of stuff really comes together so if it’s going to win you over it’ll be now. That said, I wouldn’t stress over just putting it down if it doesn’t grab you during C.

Wolfenstein The New Colossus
Nier: Automata (which I don’t even own…)
Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey

Frankly I only really care about the first two for story spoilers in GOTY podcasts, but I am slowly whittling away at the others.

The one thing I really definitely want to finish is Pyre. At this point everything else I’ve either played through or (more often than not) experienced the rest through streams/Youtube. I wish could could have devoted more time to stuff like Persona 5 and Breath of the Wild but unfortunately my priorities have not allowed more time to go through those games.

I’ve finished what I felt was essential so I’m just gonna kick back and play a ton of Reigns: Her Majesty, sequel to maybe my favorite Mobile game ever

I bought Pyre on sale today so… I guess that.

I’ve been trying to work through Horizon a bit more as well but I’m at the point where I’m not really sure if I care whether or not I finish it before all of the GOTY spoilers start.