What games do you want to play this year?

That’s reassuring to hear! I’m flying fairly blind with this, ahah.

Out of interest, are there any works nearer the top there that I should be wary of trying before I’m a bit more accustomed to/knowledgeable of IF? Highly referential works naturally do pretty well in polls like this with people immersed in a medium, but would likely leave me pretty cold. Definitely happened to me before when exploring other media…

Spider and Web caught my eye from a quick look through the list; will make sure to give it a go!

Hm. None of them are super impenetrable, I’d say - and Lost Pig, 80 DAYS, Photopia are all very accessible in their own different ways, if I remember from playing them a while ago. Spider and Web does some very clever stuff which is hard to talk about without spoiling literally the best moment in the entire thing (and which reflects on some assumptions you would usually make when playing an IF); Galatea is strikingly different from 99% of IF and is Emily Short doing some amazing work with conversational states and reflecting on the player, and I guess might work better when contrasted with more conventional IF which doesn’t do that.

1 Like

Atelier Ryza 2 and Demon Souls Remake

Thanks, I really appreciate the help! I’ll probably start off with 80 Days then as I’ve already got it on Switch, and having a UI seems like a good way to ease myself into it. Very happy to find that there are functional IF interpreters on iOS, as that should actually fit into my life fairly well. Really looking forward to exploring all of this for real rather than just abstractly thinking about its potential!

I’m really hoping Sable is released this year.

Also I’ve hearing more buzz about Loop Hero. Which is coming out soon. It’s a roguelike dungeon crawler in which you build the dungeon out of cards? I think that’s about right. Looks interesting.

Also really looking forward to Warhammer 40,000: Darktide. I loved Vermintide and after playing it, I just couldn’t silence the voice inside saying “this but 40k” over and over again. Deeper than that, I think putting you in the boots of an Imperial Guardsman rather than a Space Marine is the way to adapt the 40k experience. A grim dark world where everything is bigger than you and has the potential to provide you with a fate worse than death.

I also bit the bullet and purchased Final Fantasy 7-12 on the Switch. I guess I’m just going to keep chipping away there.

3 Likes

Like a lot of other folks, I’d like to get through a good chunk of my backlog this year. The games on it that I really wanna play are:

• Telling Lies
  • Elsinore
  • Heaven’s Vault
  • Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor
  • Far From Noise
  • Wheels of Aurelia
  • Severed
  • The House in Fata Morgana
  • Steins;Gate
  • 428 Shibuya Scramble
  • To the Moon
  • FAR: Lone Sails

I am also morbidly interested in playing the following games:

The Witcher 3 - I’ve had all three games for quite some time, and I played through 1 and 2 in 2020. Those two games are deeply flawed but interesting, and I’m curious to see how the one title that made CDPR big plays in light of, well, everything that has happened since its release. I also know it’s a cherished title by a lot of voices I respect, so I feel like it would be an eye-opening exercise to go through it knowing what I know now about the shit that has gone on inside the studio.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - I kinda sorta have a love/hate relationship with the series, but I guess my feelings aren’t so strong, so maybe it’s more of a like/dislike thing. I had fun with the two earlier games in the reboot trilogy, and I know this one attempts to go back to its puzzle-platforming/tomb raiding roots gameplay-wise while trying to address the entire series’ colonialist narrative (with disastrous results apparently). Also, it’s one of the games that’s free with PS Plus this month!

Watch Dogs 1 and 2 - The premise for these games have always intrigued me. The sharp criticisms the first one got put me off though, and then the glowing reception but with some key disclaimers to the second got me to reconsider. Because I got both games for free on EGS and I’m the type of sucker who has to play through all the games in a franchise, I’m gonna give them both a shot.

Resident Evil 6 - It’s now the only mainline RE game that I’ve yet to experience in one way or another. I’ve played the HD remaster of REmake, the recent remakes of 2 and 3, 4 a bazillion times, 5 once on the PS4, and I watched all of 7 via Resident Kinevil because I am too much of a scaredy-cat for first-person horror. I know people say 6 is the worst by a country mile! I know it takes about 10 times as long as the RE3 remake to see all of it! I’m just too deep into the franchise now to not know how it all “ends” before 7 kinda started anew!

2 Likes