What Happened to the VR Revolution?

VR is stupidly expensive and takes up way too much room. The only practical application of it is in arcades, which won’t happen but it should. I’ve played some vr stuff and enjoyed it, but for most people it is the most impractical thing ever.

VR is definitely the next frontier of digital entertainment, but it is still a concept in the development phase. What resolution do we expect? What sorts of accessibility options will be included? How do we allow for lower-price entry into the market? What level of integration of ourselves into the space will be standard? How can we make VR a universal draw, rather than a gimmick?

All of these questions and more are still being discussed and improved upon. Currently, headsets are expensive, and without accessibility options for those with sight or hearing impairments. Interaction with the world is by and large limited by the user’s VR space; technology certainly exists for providing omnidirectional treadmills, but integration is usually modded, rather than standard, abd despite advances in full-body suits and sensors, most inputs are restricted to gyros within headsets and handheld controllers, or crude camera setups prone to miscalibration. If one is looking for the best experience in VR, they are likely going to need to wait as competitors come together to build an industry standard which is both satisfyingly immersive and within an inexpensive price point- until then, VR will continue to function as an early-adopter’s show pony.

This has been my experience as well. I bought a PSVR at launch, had a strong few months, and nothing since. I was thinking about RE7, but the demos were too much anxiety for me!

This generation of VR has been exciting because it feels like the headset technology is finally really getting there, but it was a mistake to ever treat it like the mainstream arrival of VR, which is still many years away. Vive and Oculus are deep enthusiast products that you need to spend hundreds of dollars on after the cost of a high-end PC. I think we’ll look back on PSVR like the Sega Channel, this janky but cool thing ahead of its time that helped paved the way for better implementations in the future. Phil Spencer has talked about how VR is not going to be a going concern for Xbox until they figure out stuff like how to not have cables all over the floor.

Does anyone here have an opinion on the best social art-making place? I don’t have a 5mb download speed so Sansar is out. I’m planning on trying out Anyland tomorrow. I should go back into VrChat, but I’m more interested in actually crrating the spaces while in VR.

VR always seemed like a barely functional gimmick to me, but now that the first iterations of headsets are out to the public, and we’ve had some time to see what devs are doing with it, I’m a little bit more enthused about the hardware (considering it works), and less so about the software.

Regarding games, I don’t know if we’ll see it grow much further than motion controls or 3d, but for uses like education and therapy I can see it having immense potential.
For the majority of players, the cheapest headsets are still too expensive–especially for the slim amount of actually worthwhile games out there–while institutions have a lot more funds to invest in a handful of headsets, and it could be very helpful.

Maybe I need to try it to believe it, but the litany of shooting galleries and poorly conceived implementations into existing games make owning a VR headset for gaming just seem like a bad idea.

So, this may be somewhat off topic, but last night I finally tried Google Earth vr and wanted to say the VR revolution is not in games, but in experiences like the one I had last night.

I don’t know how to describe how I felt, but it was an incredible experience and I can see it as a teaching tool not only for geography, but sociology as well.

I spent my time visiting cities all around the world and checking out cool structures and stuff, but the thing that stuck with me most was how familiar everything felt.

Maybe that seems like an obvious statement but in the face of a very openly nationalist US, it was nice to see other countries and continents without the cultural differences being magnified and manipulated. And the added presence VR provides made the experience.

I guess this is to say that VR gave me a very real experience and I hope to see more like it. If that means all the more shooting galleries in the meantime, so be it.

I was astounded by Google VR. I think this is relevant:

I spent a lot of time in Tokyo looking at how enormous it is and flying down into the parks and looking at the weird blobby tree shapes. Then I went and investigated an island off the coast of Yemen. It’s super cool.

The best things in VR at the moment are the artistic tools imo. Performances are also super neat. The Cirque Soleil stuff is great, but there aren’t many stereoscopic performances yet. I find it strange that I can’t watch EXO in concert yet or see an opera.

As far as cost goes, VR is accessible to anyone who buys a Samsung S6 or above. I know that is still an expense but that is a huge amount of folks who aren’t “enthusiasts”. Samsung VR is very impressive imo.

VR will be mainstream as soon as Apple starts marketing it.

The price is definitely the problem for me. The basic sets cost ~1,100$ where I live. So… Yeah…

I just tried Anyland. It is like VR Second Life mixed with ClickTeam Fusion. I love it.