What have you learned from Anime?

Mob Psycho 100 taught me that sometimes what society deems as a strong power fantasy isn’t really a catch-all dream nor the pursuit of hapiness. Being a good honest and just person is more powerful than any superpower. And using power for fame, money, or even revenge won’t give you what’s happy, but it’s not like the protagonist has to even learn this lesson. He implicitly understands it from the get-go, making the villains the ones that have to learn the lesson. This was a refreshing perspective.

Kill La Kill is perhaps the best facsimile of “friendship is magic” but in a way that tells you, it’s okay to be you. Don’t be embarrassed or shameful of yourself; embrace yourself. Feel good about what makes you feel good and challenge the status quo that says otherwise.

Hunter X Hunter has a lot of lessons but the biggest take away is how difficult, painful, and a struggle it is to be the good natured and stay true to yourself. Also how to be a good friend to others. It has the best anime friendship and not in the typical corny, sentimental way. Underneath its action-adventure core, it gets to some of the most hard-hitting, neither-black-nor-white scenarios that left me seriously reconsidering who I should be rooting for. Also antagonists are just cartoon villains that exist as the foil for the protag’s lofty optimistic ideals but real people that can be humanized and have other things going on in their lives.

Eyeshield 21 taught me The basic roles of The different positions in American Football.

Kirakira Precure Ala Mode has taught me roughly 40 recipes for sweets and other baked goods by this point.

The last two episodes of Evangelion helped me realize – at the age of 20-21 – that I have, in fact, dealt with depression and anxiety for most of my life. I was in an especially bad period around that time, and watching that last episode left me just motionless for a good twenty minutes. In that time, I sort of emulated the main narrative frame those episodes had with myself, and it dawned on me that I had been repressing a lot of negative emotions since a very young age. If it weren’t for seeing that silly robot show, I don’t know if I would have ever eventually sought treatment, or if I would even know for a fact that these issues play such a large role in my life.

So, thanks for preemptively congratulating me, you weird-ass mecha kaiju cartoon!

The main character in FLCL being torn between raging adolescent id and “adult” tryhard incompetence, only to realize that he’s a 10 year old kid and he doesn’t actually need to make that choice yet to begin with, was formative for me. I’m really weak to that kind of “the only way to change the system is to realize the choice you’ve been given is a false god and the answer lies outside” that you see crop up in Yoji Enokido and Kunihiko Ikuhara’s work.

Otherwise, I’ve watched Honey and Clover 2-3 times and learned something different each time. It really changes based on how old you are and who you identify with!

I’ve not learned a whole lot from anime back when I used to watch it, but it did introduce me to the hedgehog’s dilemma (Evangelion) which helped me understand myself a bit better when I first discovered that was a thing (and something that happened to others as well). It also covered other mental health stuff that I just hadn’t encountered back then that was really great to see. Sometimes it made me feel worse but I actually felt I benefited just from seeing depictions of depression, apathy, anxiety etc.

That was such a great series for the most part, once every few years if I find myself in a really bad way I will usually go back and binge watch it. Not seen it for a while, will have to correct that sometime. :slight_smile:

I feel I should go back to watch some old anime some time.

Land of the Lustrous had me reading about minerals recently.

The Amethyst twins are named 84 and 33, and apparently if you twin an amethyst at 84°33’ it forms a heart shape.

Anatomy.

That not all anime is good, and that some is very bad, and that some is blood

But Mushi-Shi and Haibane Renmei are perfection

Thanks to haikyuu! I can pretty much be a substitute volleyball commentator.

I learn a lot about Japanese culture and traditions, I became a huge fan of Japan and I want to visit it someday

i second this :smiley:

I have learned that some really weird politics seeps it’s way into anime…

‘Rebellion’ in Japanese terms seems to be wearing your uniform weird, having a weird haircut, and skipping class. The ‘punk’ look is usually always portrayed as a negative, and it sucks. The delinquent character type seems to be a prevailing trope in anime, from previous years up to today, and I’ve always found it weird how they always try to reform that type into a ‘good’ member of society. You usually see that type paired with a meeker character, and through each other, then learn to be functioning members of society, help others, and then marry right out of high school because oh God our population rate is so small, please start fuc-

That kind of plays into the ‘breeding’ politics of Japanese high school drama too. With a lot of things in society, Japan REALLY wants to you have a job right out of school and have your fucking life together, and that includes the partner that you’ll stick with forever because WHAT? You wanna date in your 20s??? That’s ridiculous, and you’ll now have to play the part of the ‘old’ lonely teacher trope who is WEEPING for a husband, because your time has passed, though you’re only 23. Too fucking bad, OLD WOMAN, you should have married that 16 year old you spent 3 seasons mustering up the courage to hold hands with.

ALSO, I have learned that high schoolers NEVER kiss, fool around, have sex, smoke pot, or ANYTHING, despite the government REALLY wanting you to. At least until the finale, then you get one kiss. Sure, you’ll sexually harass, peep on classmates, accidentally grab someone, or walk in on them naked, but you will NEVER consent to having sex with ANYONE you pervert. I mean, high school and college is where you experiment and learn who you are, but mother fucker if you’re in an anime, you better have that shit on lock, and it better be a straight relationship with the woman who will be your future wife.

I mean: yes. Whilst there are “countercultural” Japanese people - I know one or two of them - Japanese society as a whole tends towards conformism and structure, still. (There’s a problem in Japanese Universities, in fact, that the Japanese government recognises, in that young researchers tend to end up doing “what the research group head wants”, with little scope for independent development of research goals - and then end up being poorly suited to actually setting their own research priorities as a result.)

I see it smash against race politics of the country too. The more diverse you are, the more of a delinquent you are. They even make it a point to pair delinquents with POC or ‘ganguro’ styles. It kind of plays into why every anime protagonist looks like this:

I still need to play Persona 5, because I hear it’s really good about bashing against those tropes, giving us a group of young punks to battle against authority.

Learned a lil bit about the politics of Antarctica from The Place Further than the Universe (watched after many enthusiastic write ups in this forum).
Exploration rights were divied up after WW2 and Japan got the extreme short end of the stick. A high school girl is used as an allegory for this, because this is anime.
Great moment when she finally reaches Antarctica and has her “fuck you, all you bullies and doubters” and the crew of the ship is like, yep, “fuck you, rest of the world who gave Japan this out of the way deathtrap to explore, we did it anyway”