What is a game that you dislike, but still finished?

I was looking through the games you love but never finished thread and realized “there are tons of games I have enjoyed I will never finish but on the other hand, I’ve finished many games I didn’t particularly enjoy.”

So my question is this: What are some games you disliked, yet still insisted on playing through to the end? Alternatively, multiplayer games you disliked that you still played tons of. Some examples of my own below:

• Pacman and the Ghostly Adventures: Got in a steam sale one winter break and was in need of a 3D platformer. It’s a bad game, but I gotta have my 3D platformer fix.
  • Spyro Enter the Dragonfly: Perhaps this question is unfair when it comes to games from your childhood. It was the only new game I had at the time, good or bad I was going to see it through. Same with Shadow the Hedgehog, Finding Nemo, countless other PS2 games.
  • INSIDE: I had to see the ending for myself. Luckily the time commitment was only an afternoon.
  • Darkspore: … I don’t know? Sometimes evenings in college it felt easier to play a game I didn’t really like because I didn’t need to be in the right mood to take in something Big and Important. Easier to play Darkspore and not give a shit about anything than to play like, The Witcher 2 and need to take everything in.

EDIT: More regretfully finished games

• Aliens: Colonial Marines: Entirely buyers remorse.

• Ghost Recon: Wildlands: I play through a lot of co-op games because its one of the ways that I keep up with some of my family and friends. Sometimes that means biting a bullet and playing something I actively dislike. In this case, I played the game as a bargaining chip as long as they promised to at least try Divinity Original Sin 2 when it came out. Wildlands is a trash game. But, D:OS2 is a great game… so net positive?

I remember many moons ago when Dota 2 came out, i thought it looked cool as hell, though i didn’t have any sort of context at the time for what a MOBA was and what MOBA communities were generally like, which in retrospect probably would have turned me off the game before i got started. It was such a complex game with so many different permutations to the gameplay, which is one aspect i still find appealing, and i felt like i had to get good with at least one character before i could go online against real opponents. That step never ended up materializing though; i sunk probably close to 500 hours (cue existential crisis), played less than 10 actual online games, and still sucked ass at it before i realized that i fucking hate dota.

Not to piss in anyone’s corn flakes, but Nier: Automata was this for me to a T. I got all five main endings and I still thought the story was overwrought nonsense that took way too long for too little payoff.

I still don’t get all the hubbub about the end credits sequence. Is it really that big of a deal deleting your save? How many people are actually going to go back to the game without starting over at that point? Maybe it’s just my way of playing games, where I rarely go back.

andromeda. the combat did so much to get me through and the profound sense of nothing i felt when i finished that game encapsulates my whole experience with it.

I… kind of didn’t like Dragon Age: Origins. I didn’t care about most of my party members, I thought every ‘dungeon’ was too long and kind of boring (just, endless tedious corridors fighting random skeletons or whatever… I don’t care) and I honestly only played it through to the end because of Alistair. If he hadn’t been there, I almost certainly would have dropped out for good.

I basically cranked down the difficulty and plowed through the second half of Dragon Age 2. I like the idea behind that game infinitely more than the actual execution.

There’s actually a whole lot of them, to the point where I won’t be able to recount them all here. Just off the top of my head from the last 2-3 years:

Back In 1995
Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
NieR: Automata

Some games are bad but have just enough potential or are just talked-about enough to where I feel the need to get to the end, even if I’m really not having fun. I’m trying to cut down on that, but it still happens at least once or twice a year.

My dirty secret is that despite Bioware being one of my favorite developers, half the time I crank the difficulty all the way down and play the games like a high production Telltale game. Story and setting FTW.

Eh, I wouldn’t go that far. The game clearly spoke to people, so I’m not going to look down on them. It just wasn’t for me.

Dead Island It controlled like butt, glitched horribly most of the time and some story beats in the game were god awful. Still played it all the way to the end, including a wet fart of an end boss battle.

I think it was more about

Sacrificing your save data so that another player somewhere in the world would get the help to finish it.

I get that, but it just wasn’t much of a sacrifice for me. I suppose if Nier: Automata taught me anything, it’s people value their completed game saves way more than me.

When I was a kid my parents were not keen on buying me too many videogames. Which is very fair. As many books as I wanna buy, but only one or two games a year.

This meant that games for me were an event. I researched. I took stock of the value difference between fun-factor and length of time. And then I’d make my choice.

Most of them were solid: the Zeldas, the Marios, etc. They’d last me a while and I’d enjoy them. But if I got a game that I didn’t like, that was it. I had to buckle up and finish it whether I liked it or not, otherwise it’d be a waste. I had to learn to like it.

One of those purchases was Sonic 06. Oops.

I think I agree with that sentiment to an extent. I think the game is better as a thesis on “why Yoko Taro deserves more money on his next project” than as an actual game? Maybe the best exploration of existentialism in a game, but I feel it failed to execute almost everything around that. Worth noting anime story delivery is not my cup of tea so that might have influenced my distaste for much of the more melodramatic moments.

Spoilers for the end Nier: Automata - I took significance of that final choice to be the player deciding that their own “life purpose” was to help someone else on their journey over your own ambitions. Perhaps that wasn’t executed as well as it could have been, especially for those that don’t go back to games after finishing them, but it felt quite powerful to me.

only half the time? looks like we’ve got a hardcore gamer over here

For real, I never played a console Bioware game and thought “this system is so fun and engaging I want to raise this sucker up to normal!”

tbh there’s a lot of games where I should stop Giving A Fuck and just plow through them on easy

Damn, maybe i should’ve just gone that route instead of going through hell to beat mass effect 2 on that awful highest difficulty setting (platinum trophies baybee!) (ye this is a humblebrag but also fuck terrible high difficulty modes)

Mass Effect 3, my first time through. I disliked that game from the opening through to the ending, in spite of some great moments along the way. Oddly enough, the main thing that ruined it for me was the far more limited dialogue system - Shepard had so, so much more auto-dialogue in ME3 than the previous two games; I was really left feeling like the characterisation I’d built up over the series had been thrown out the window - rather than the ending.

I ultimately went back to the game, years later, with adjusted expectations, all the DLC installed, and a Shepard I’d specifically built around the limitations of Mass Effect 3’s dialogue system, so the transition wouldn’t feel so jarring, and I had a far, far better time–these days, I actually like the game, though I still think it’s incredibly flawed.

But that first time through, the only thing that got me to the finish line was pure obligation to my favourite series in gaming.

Personally, as someone who really enjoyed Automata (but also played the otther 3 games in the series in the months prior, so I was already invested), the thing about the end that really emotionally connected with me was much more about the messages from other players from around the world gradually showing up each time you fail, telling you that they believe in you, and that they did it and you can too, and not to give up. The music also did a lot to emphasize that, as it swells and switches languages and gains additional voices, with the lyrics being pretty relevant to what you’re doing as well. The sacrifice thing did hit me too, though the aspect of it that meant more was the other players’ getting “deleted” (though I was spoiled for both and also know it’s not really how that works) as I played. It wasn’t just the sacrifice that really made it one of the most meaningful things I feel I’ve done in the game, but the coming together to cheer each other on and support each other.

Of course, disclaimer: I am a huge fucking sucker for “power of friendship”, everyone comes together to turn things around, etc. endings. Ending E was a gut punch from the moment Pod 042 could “not accept this resolution”. I was definitely crying during most of it. But I totally get that’s not for everyone! Just, for me, that’s why it hit me so hard.

EDIT: I should add, I didn’t even fully sacrifice my save, since I’d backed it up; like you I don’t really go back to games, but I was trying to finish it before Giant Bomb’s GOTY discussions and so didn’t have time to do a few final optional things I wanted to see. I’m not sure if I’ll back it up again when I go back to see that through soon (and then do Ending E again after) or not. So it really isn’t just the sacrifice for me, hah.