What Manga Are You Reading?

So, what about manga that hasn’t gotten the anime treatment yet? I’ve been a long-time anime watcher, but I’m just now deciding that I want to read manga. I always set weird rules for myself, so I specifically want to read things that I can’t just go watch. Open to pretty much anything (shounen, shoujo, seinen, josei) as long as it isn’t problematic (rape, large age-gap relationships, etc etc). Bonus points if it’s fairly easy to find in print at either the library or bookstore!

Please please please read Yotsuba&! by Kiyohiko Azuma (of Azumanga Daioh fame). It’s a hilarious and cute manga about the daily life of a preschool girl named Yotsuba and her single dad who move into a new neighborhood.

I would also recommend After Hours, a yuri romance manga about a young woman who forms a relationship with a DJ after being ditched by a friend at a club.

Moving a little outside of “traditional” manga i would recommend Kabi Nagata’s My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness and her Solo Exchange Diaries which are auto-bio manga about Nagata’s depression and discovering her sexuality. It’s relatively good humored for the subject matter and will often having you laughing as much as crying along with her. It’s fantastic.

Check out Inoue Takehiko’s work. Vagabond, REAL, Slam Dunk.

CW: Vagabond has a lot of detailed violence and REAL likely contain some ableist language since it’s about wheelchair basketball.

Gundam The Origin : 1.