What Movie Scene Can You Never Get Enough of?

Games have taken a bit of a backseat to movies in the last few weeks for me, and I’ve spent a whole lot of time rewatching some favorites and trying to get through the never-ending list of recommendations I’ve collected over the years. It can be kind of a rare thing, but occasionally I stumble across those rare scenes that really stick in my head and elevate a film to the next level for me, or just strike me as noteworthy. What’s a scene you revisit from time to time that you find particularly memorable or striking? No rules here of course, I’m down to hear about whatever, whether it’s from a film you otherwise didn’t care for, or even one you never finished. If it stood out to you that much then it’s worth mentioning!

To kick it off here’s some scenes from what are probably my favorite films of all time if I had to pick. Every extra in this Children of Men scene deserves a damn Oscar, and the sense of confusion, desperation, awe, and hope that resonates from this whole sequence is just incredibly moving. God, this movie. Someone stop me I’ll talk about it for hours (Spoiler warning, scene occurs towards the end of the film)

As for this Dog Day Afternoon one, Al Pacino delivers what I legitimately believe is one of the greatest performances I’ve ever seen as the world’s most incompetent bank robber in this movie. He just exudes this really convincing nervous energy throughout the whole thing and I just can’t turn away from it. The way he unveils the rifle in this scene plus the line where he’s asking for the keys is just perfect. Please give this a watch if you get a chance, based on a true story and (without spoiling too much here) weaves a lot of progressive topics and LGBT issues into the plot in very unexpected ways.

I have two from the same movie: Kill Bill Vol. 1. The first is the fight between The Bride (Uma Thurman) vs Gogo Yubari which is just a fantastic use of an unorthodox weapon. This is followed by the climax of that movie of The Bride vs O-Ren Ishii. Both of these are so fantastic even though there’s a lot of bad stuff surrounding that movie and who made it.

The flamenco scene in The Limits of Control:

The entracte from Holy Motors:

Both music based scenes that don’t really benefit from having more context (what little relevant context there might be in either case).

CW for blood and gore in a sense.

Donnie Darko - Time Flies

This one is easy. Probably my favourite one shot in any film ever. The music helps but the way it tells you everything about this high school and all the characters within without any dialogue is just so brilliant. It just feels like a perfect snapshot in time.

A Field In England - Possession scene

This scene never fails to creep me out, but there is also a euphoria to it - again mostly down to the music and the expression used by Reece Shearsmith. This whole movie is great - directed by Ben Wheatley, filmed in about a week in a single field (in England) set during the English Civil War with some really fantastic performances - especially from Shearsmith and Michael Smiley.

Jurassic Park - T-Rex Escape

Jurassic Park is one of my favourite movies and I’m quickly getting pumped for the next one - which will probably be fine but not first movie great. So the T-Rex breakout scene is an obvious pick. Having already introduced the Brachiosaur and the Triceratops so well, there was already proof that the film would show us living breathing dinosaurs. The T-Rex obviously carries a certain level of anticipation that is greater than all the other dinos combined, it’s not a dinosaur, it’s the dinosaur. When she finally breaks lose, the scene doesn’t disappoint. When I first saw it at the age of 6 on opening weekend in 1993, it was the single scariest thing I had ever seen. The mix of CG and animatronic work is still astounding to this day, the scene doesn’t even require any music from the great John Williams to make an impression. Also thematically, everytime the T-Rex makes an appearance in Jurassic Park it is to push Grant further towards the kids and accepting the responsibility of becoming a father. This scene in question is basically when the switch is flipped in Grant’s mind. When Sam Neil leans forward when the Rex flips over the car. That’s the moment.

And the lawyer on the toilet never gets old. I’ve noticed some TV cuts of the movie omit the scene where the Rex shakes him around like a dog toy. Are kids really too sensitive for that nowadays?

The T-Rex/trailer cliff scene in The Lost World is also really good. As much as I enjoyed Jurassic World as a big fat does of dumb dino fun, there were no scenes that had the execution of Spielberg.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
Scott Pilgrim (and Sex Bob-omb) vs. the Katayanagi twins

The opening scene from Inglorious Basterds (CW: Murder)

Apologies for the watermark, but this was the longest video I could fine.

Tarantino has some Problems has a filmmaker, but he still does tension better than almost anyone.

Puttin’ on the Ritz from Young Frankenstein

The car parking scene from Jackie Chan’s Who am I? The whole chase sequence is impressive but the parking is just so satisfying to watch.

God, there are so many. I took a class on John Carpenter and David Cronenberg last semester, and it turns out they’re both really great filmmakers, so I"m going to draw on those, being a little fresher in my mind as they are.

(CW: violence, gore) The blood test scene in The Thing stands out to me as maybe the single most anxiety-inducing, intense movie scene I’ve ever seen. The preceding defibrillator scene is also incredible, but more for the sheer horror on display as opposed to the absolutely unbearable tension of the former.

The dancing scene from Dead Ringers is maybe my favorite scene from any Cronenberg movie. It’s so thick with, like, sexual tension? which is a lot, considering the context of Jeremy Irons playing identical twins. (I feel like this scene probably suffers a little without the context of the broader movie to work with, but it’s still great)

(CW: violence, gore, nudity) The other Cronenberg scene that’s right up there is the bathhouse fight scene in Eastern Promises. It’s honestly one of the best fight scenes ever and the most brutal shit I’ve ever seen.

No one really thinks Easy A is a good movie but the writing in this movie is so snappy and so well-acted because everyone is a powerhouse despite it being under their weight class.

Synecdoche, New York is one of those movies I absolutely adore even though it destroys me every time I watch it. It epitomizes the Kafkaesque nightmare through a postmodern lens, which makes the film a challenge both mentally and emotionally. Late in the film, Phillip Seymour Hoffman’s character (Caden) is in his twilight years after spending decades in existential misery while working on a play that can only exist in the imagination of Jorge Luis Borges. By this point, he’s taken a largely backseat role, having an actress play himself in this production who also becomes the new de facto director. Here she takes Caden’s original reinterpretation of a funeral he had recently attended and shifts the original message around so that the preacher is given a monologue (which, in turn, acts as the core thesis statement of the whole film in a scene that’s the most direct address given to viewer). It’s here you start to see how the art itself comes to life, removed from any original intentionality on the part of the author, and it’s this removal which allows Caden to finally begin confronting his misery and regrets for what they are – in a larger, collective (or synecdochic) context. This movie can be absolutely gruelling to watch, but I just love what it does here so much.

Oh and opening sequence from Once Upon a Time in the West.

Holy crap, what a way to introduce a character. Also, Morricone’s score is fabulous. (CW: More murder)

The finale of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is my favorite scene in the entirety of film and one that I could literally watch over and over again. The prior 2+ hours have been driving this trio of characters to find $200,000 in gold (A little over $4 million today) buried in a grave in a confederate cemetery.
As they prepare to duel for the money the music builds and builds. The editing starts wide and moves us closer and closer to the characters until they are literally just hands, eyes, and guns.
Something I love about Leone’s movies is the way the violence is always anti-climatic. It’s because Leone knew that what makes duels like this interesting aren’t hurling a hail of bullets at each other but the sheer tension of wondering which character is going to draw first, you know it’s going to be the hero but he drags it out so much that you begin to wonder and just want the tension to end.

my favorite scene in my favorite comedy

There’s not even a flicker of any emotion or sympathy in Christop Waltz’s eyes when he hits him with the “you are sheltering enemies of the state” line. Every scene he’s in is like completely hypnotizing (the saloon bit from Django is another one where he just steals the whole show, it’s unbelievable)

The pastry scene in Inglorious Basterds is up there as well.

Not something you’d want to watch repeatedly but the climactic 10’ish minutes of The Raid 2 sure gets a lot done on top of just generally being good choreography. (CW violence)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VugMcDaoSU

The scene in Shin Godzilla when Godzilla first uses his atomic breath is one of my favorite scenes in all of Kaiju Eiga.