What’s a Game that Makes You Feel A Little Left Out?

A more indie example than everything else here, but for me that game is Ori and the Blind Forest. I love Metroidvania games and platformers, but Ori’s controls and movements always just felt… imprecise, maybe? Unpredictable? Badly telegraphed? The game is beautiful, and I really wanted to like it, but the gameplay rarely ever engaged me in ways I found rewarding (especially compared to similar games like Hollow Knight).

I’m gonna go with the one that everyone was thinking but were too afraid to say…

Heroes of Might and Magic 3

I put dozens of hours each into 2, 4, and 5 but somehow I missed out on playing what many people say is the best game in the series. I see all the great things it added to the series, but I just don’t find it all that fun. And to be entirely honest, I think the “early 3D” prerendered unit sprites look really bad.

Even though I tend to love most if not all of them I play, fighting games for sure. The strategic depth, mind games, and crazy execution never fail to pull me in. But, I’m the only person in my immediate friend group willing to put time into understanding the mechanics, so my time with fighting games always ends the same way: I’m better than my friends/the AI, but so much worse than the online community that it can get difficult to even learn from my numerous mistakes. Absolver has been the perfect experience for me so far, as I have a ton of experience with the Souls series and a fair bit with fighting games, and was able to get in on the ground floor, so to speak, but I’m fairly concerned it’s technical issues will gut the community before they can really start expanding/refining the mechanics.

Every Call of Duty since Black Ops 1.

Not to like, try and convince you to play something you don’t want to play, but parry and riposte are the bread and butter of Souls games melee combat. Most enemies (including bosses) can be parried and counter attacked. Unless “counter based” does not mean what I think it means in this context,which is very possible.

Souls are definitely one. I’ve just never been able to figure them out (played Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and DS3). I appreciate the environments abd the storytelling/lore so much, but the games themselves frustrate me so much without enough payoff to keep going.

I end up watching the lore videos after finally giving up.

I totally understand that system exists, and am successful at them 50% of the time in Bloodborne, but the window is just too dang short in the Souls games. Plus failing a parry in a Souls game can have greater consequence than failing it in, say, Arkham City, or even Witcher 3.

I assumed you knew all about that but I’ve read threads where people have played 75% through Bloodborne and been like “parry? how does that work?” so I want to be sure. And yeah, the consequences of missing a parry are pretty severe especially near the end of Bloodborne where a misstep at close range is usually death.

And, compared to Arkham/tW3, characters builds need a little bit of goosing to be the best parry-machines they can be, so it’s not as natural right out of the box.

Destiny 1 even though I played about 200-300 hours of it. For that reason, I don’t know if I will ever get Destiny 2.

Some friends encouraged me to get Destiny 1 after the Taken King came out and I did and enjoyed it (loot games are very much my jam) but they already had a group of 6 or more players and had already done all the Raids countless times so by the time I was ready to do that content, they were bored of it.

As a result, I never did a full Raid until Rise Of Iron and even then, they all did a “blind Raid” together and I was a “tag a long” a couple weeks later. As a result, even when we were on even footing gear-wise (or in fact, I was higher light than many of them, because I love loot games and RoI gave easier ways to raise your light solo) I always felt like a third wheel, the only one in the group who needed to have every step explained, who struggled on all the platforming sections because they had done them before, etc.

I always felt like an outsider and it was a shitty feeling and since Destiny hinges so much on co-op play, I’m really not sure I’ll ever get Destiny 2.

The Dishonored series, for me. I just never got in rhythm with how the games played.

For the past few years, this is 4x games for me. I used be really into that genre, I’d spend many sleepless nights in Civ IV and V “one-more-turning” until daylight. As my life has changed though they stopped clicking with me; I bought the Civ V expansions and didn’t play them, I bought Endless Legend and put a few hours into it (I STILL listen to that soundtrack all the time), Endless Space 2 looks really great to me. But whenever I sit down to try to play it, I can’t really settle in and I decide to do something else.

Maybe it’s because I don’t really have any nights I can dump 6-10 hours into empire-building anymore. The games don’t feel as satisfying to play in one or two hour bursts. It’s a bummer.

For me it’s any game that is played competitively, especially MOBA’s and Star Craft. It’s just such a different way to interact with games than how I interact with games that it feels like a whole other hobby.

PUBG ansd Destiny 2 at the moment. I’m still gaming on PC with a GTX 580 and it just doesn’t have enough vram to run most new games these days. One day I’ll upgrade it. One day.

I’m really not a competitive person, so the only time I delve into multiplayer nowadays is for a local party game (e.g. Overcooked). And even when I was playing proper competitive MP I got way more out of screwing around with Halo with my best friends than actually taking a match seriously.

So, paradoxically, this is why I would like to give Battlegrounds a shot when it finally hits PS4. Sure, it is competitive, but you can at least have fun with a few friends you team up with.

Even after all this time, it’s World of Warcraft.

I play a lot of MMOs. I kind of flitter between them, checking out new ones when I can, sticking with some for a while. I stuck with City of Heroes the longest, and I think that made me miss the boat.

I was playing CoH when WoW initially hit, and my brother got really into WoW at launch. Special edition, played tons, all that. He gave me a trial key and I don’t think I even bothered to download the game. I was happy with City of Heroes and kept playing it instead. Got really into the RP community on the Virtue server. Made a lot of friends.

But CoH didn’t last forever (even with City of Villains trying to boost things) and every time a WoW expansion hit more people left. And then when any new MMO hit people left. And eventually when there was any major game release at all, people would just disappear forever. It kind of sucked but, that’s how MMOs go.

So around the time Lich King hit I was like, WoW’s got a lot of people, I’m going to get in on it. But I couldn’t. I played for about 3 months, tried out a bunch of different classes and both factions, and it just never clicked with me. Something about the gameplay just wasn’t engaging enough. At the time I was comparing it in my head unfavorably to City of Heroes, but in retrospect that wasn’t really the problem.

I just missed the boat on being a new player among other new players. Everyone was all established and had their friends and everything already. Anyone I already knew who played had their group they played with and you couldn’t really just slip into that when the gameplay roles were all filled already. City of Heroes I had gotten in on at the right time. World of Warcraft I got to too late.

I try to get into it every once in a while, usually around when an expansion hits or some big update sounds cool. And I still just can’t manage to feel comfortable playing WoW. I wish I did. I loved Warcraft as a setting, played WC 1, 2, and 3. I was even reading Warcraft novels before WoW was a thing. But it passed me by and I never managed to get onboard.

And now there’s this huge shared experience of World of Warcraft that almost every online friend I’ve had took part in at some point in their video-game-lives that I never had. And it’s always a weird feeling to be left out of that nostalgia.

Any MMO, especially EVE because I loved the time i served in Goonswarm but good lord I now that getting in deep with that game is not particularly healthy for me

Also, any game my computer can’t run, most especially Witcher 3

I picked up Destiny 2 specifically because the FOMO I felt for the first one was real. Never cared about it much until people started talking about how cool the later raids were and by then it was too late to catch up. Hopefully I can get in on some of the fun this time around.

Most games these days. I rarely buy games despite really wanting to play them because of lack of money and also my tendency to often abandon games.

I feel like the more i try to learn about old games that have historied legacies, or even just little known but highly significant games from older generations, any knowledge i gain is dwarfed by an order of magnitude by the amount of relevant games being released today, especially in the multiplayer space. Just not the kind of person that wants to be in on what’s contemporary i suppose, but it makes it hard to appreciate current events and industry shifts. With recent releases, it’s more that i read and hear about them than actually having the interest to invest time and money in them.

On the other hand, i do feel a special pleasure in appreciating a game outside of its place in time, there’s something more intimate about playing something with history than something without.

3d zelda games. i haven’t liked a single one, sans majora’s mask.