What the PS5 UI Could Mean for the Future of Content Creators

For as long as I can remember, guides have always been a part of gaming culture. From reading the latest tips in my favorite gaming magazine to scrolling through pages of community curated walkthroughs, there was no end to the flow of information gathered by professionals and hobbyists alike. Nowadays, as ways to monetize personal work have become widespread, that information is created and monetized by both independent creators and large publications.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4adg33/what-the-ps5-ui-could-mean-for-the-future-of-content-creators-waypoint-radio
1 Like

I know it is tough running a website and whatever, but I wish these podcast posts would come up the day the episode posted. There’s really nowhere else to discuss the episodes.

I had a great comment I wanted to share about this discussion but forgot it over the weekend. Maybe it will come back to me…

2 Likes

I’d honestly forgotten that Stadia had promised this sort of feature (and IMO Cado is dead on about why it was extremely unlikely that google would find a way to automate this in a way that would not be incorrect or full of awful stuff).

Indie gamedev twitter was pretty skeptical of the idea that they would be the ones posting videos for these magical “how to get the monk robes” videos. There was a lot of people concerned that the videos or activities would be required for cert. Which I think says a lot about how much cost this will add to the already high cost of games production (whether or not the people paying this cost are actually paid for their work).

1 Like

Perhaps a general mega thread for podcast discussion would be easier for staff and mods?

3 Likes

Really good discussion on the new UI features, though I think ascribing a malicious intent to barebones streamer features is a bit of a stretch. I think Sony just didn’t bother to flesh that stuff out, not that they’re orchestrating a grand blandifying of streaming. It doesn’t even really make that much sense, because better streamer customization would obviously lead to more popular streams coming directly from console.

Crowdsourcing the guides makes more sense than requiring devs to submit them as part of cert. “What parts of the game are players going to struggle with?” is a constant question in game development until release, and trying to write a guide from that position is taking a shot in the dark.

The sample case for the Sackboy game is a great example, it’s assuming an astounding lack of curiosity from the player because the developer was likely required to have x amount of guides per y amount of zones in the game. No one really knows how the end user will think, aside from the end user.

What happened with Gita’s audio? I don’t think I can make it through this :frowning:

Man I did not expect to hear anyone talking about Grave Encounters in 2020 but I’m glad someone is. That movie was a lot of fun when I watched it way back in my first year of uni.

2 Likes

I think Jeff Gerstmann was saying this on a recent bombcast, but these video guides need to be accurate 100% of the time, be as short as possible, and not have someone eating up time trying to promote their brand or whatever. So the problem with crowdsourcing would end up being the moderation of it, and it cannot be a like/dislike button on whether it is a good guide. It has to be accurate by the time the player sees it or it is a completely useless feature and the person might as well just be looking at youtube on their phone. And this is all before how they credit/compensate (as if that would even be on the table) those that would provide their labor to keep this service afloat.

2 Likes

I’ve had the same thought. I don’t think this will be crowd sourced, and Pat said he’d heard it’s not required for cert.

I don’t agree with Jeff on that one, I think he’s asking for a needlessly high bar of presentation on these guides. And if the guide cards don’t allow microphone recording, then the concern over self-promotion is nullified.

The community guides on Steam are a good example, they’re built right into the client wrapper and can be accessed from the overlay screen. It’s what I’d want out of console-integrated guides.

I can kind of see where that high bar comes from, because with a system level feature, it’s only going to get used if it’s better than google searching on my phone. And when I can just type in some nonsensical, hyperspecific search and find a forum post from someone with the same exact issue, why would I bother with the system guide that will likely not be as specific?

As a Destiny player I wonder what it would be like to have a Datto video or whatever in the game at a system level when a new exotic quest comes out, etc. That would be on Bungie to do that deal but like… I can’t imagine it’s worth it for either party? Why would Bungie pay for a thing in one of the game’s 8 platforms when they could just keep outsourcing it to a YouTube video, and how much would they have to pay Datto for it to be worth it for him to sacrifice the clicks?

Ultimately I would still much rather just be able to picture-in-picture a YouTube window and stick those walkthrough videos in the top right corner. I doubt they’ll let people do that because that would instantly invalidate all of their Find the Monk Robes features.

2 Likes