Whatcha Cooking? [Food Pictures]

Hey, Waypoint forums. I was wondering – whatcha cooking at the moment?

I love seeing people’s cooking, both to get inspiration and because it’s just a lot of fun. I’m not one for presentation, but it can be really insightful to see how the sausage is made.

I’m not hugely picky about whether folks do multiple in-progress shots going from start to table (I think that’d be real neat) or if they just want one-off photos. I usually do the latter and will get us started with it, but super here for folks experiment and coming back with what they want to do.

Anyway, here’s some fairly straightforward stir fry to use up some leftover ingredients I had. I’d share a recipe but it’s not that complicated – fry beef & onion with the spices, add mushrooms, add spinach & sweetcorn, and then scoop the noodles straight out of their cooking water and stir through.

What are you cooking, Waypoint?

I’ve been trying to get this blondie recipe perfect lately, and this is my… third batch? These ones are dark chocolate & hazelnut, and I took a few pictures during the process:

I think my favourite thing about cooking might just be neatly arranging all the ingredients first?

I’d never browned butter for a recipe until I started playing with this one and OH MY

I deeply respect recipes that just involve mixing everything in one bowl

THEY ALWAYS COME OUT SO SHINY AND BEAUTIFUL

Aaand this is how they look finished! It’s best to photograph them, because they rarely last very long…

ugh nat these images might be too high quality I am salivating despite the fact that hazelnut brownies would be death on two legs for me

Firstly, I’m sorry, but if it helps, these are super customisable? The chocolate and nuts are referred to as ““mix-ins”” by the recipe, and I’m pretty convinced at this point they’d be super tasty without both or with different things entirely!

I made a “garbage” soup last night out of whatever was in the fridge and pantry and it turned out great. It’s got red lentils, barley, peas, carrots, celery, and a bunch of other stuff that I can’t remember. Soup season is the best!

Chili because it’s delicious and great on a cold day :bowl_with_spoon:

Robo you could have just @ ed me.

Made even more from scratch ramen. It’s not very pretty but I’m levelling up. One day I’ll make my own dashi. This was an experiment with a quick broth and thin sliced chicken, cooked just fine. These are not package ramen noodles but still freeze dried vs. fried.

I’ve been starting to make curry on a regular basis. Generally I just look around for veggies at the store that catch my eye and turns out, putting anything in curry makes it delicious!

This last batch I made had butternut squash, yams, califlower, onion, chickpeas, and quionia in it and it’s freaking great!

I wish the picture had come out better (should have cleaned the bowl) but it’s a lovely autumnal color, and the way the cauliflower soaks in the color of the broth is wonderful!

I got a sourdough starter last year and now make bread pretty regularly. I attempted a challah for the first time this week.

It could be prettier but it tastes pretty good! My wife turned it into french toast this morning.

This looks absolutely fantastic.

I have a slow cooker at home I Never use after a mishap involving a failed improvised soup that tasted absolutely horrendous, so if y’all have good slow cooker recipes I’d love to know!

I made a riff on a Cuban sandwich with Krakowska Polish sausage, Madrigal cheese (a semi-hard cheese similar to Swiss), sliced sandwich dills and yellow mustard on a pressed grilled sandwich roll. It was extremely good.

do you have a recipe, or a link to one, for the curry base? I’ve done some basic googling but they all seem to use a mix, or if from scratch, a bunch of specialty ingredients I don’t have on hand. I have curry powder, and I’m willing to buy one or two extra things, but picking up spices I’m only ever going to use seems like a waste.On top of that there’s so many different curries, and recipes for curry, that I don’t know which one to go with, but your curry looks great!

yoooooo great thread

beautiful pics. i recently got the fresh pasta making attachment for my kitchen aid mixer and i’ve been making some pastas at home. been gr8 so far. i’ll post pictures soon.

So, the thing about curry is you’re going to want a lot of sort of specialty ingredients to make it, but curry is so versitile too!

The base I use is the following (based on this recipe with some minor changes):
2 13.5 oz cans coconut milk
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 a white onion
1 Heaping tablespoon fresh ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground tumeric
1 teaspoon red curry powder
3 teaspoons tamari sauce (basically soy sauce)
Red chilli flakes to desired spice level (I just do 4-6 shakes)
And if making it in a slowcooker or instant pot I’ll add about a cup of water.
Usually garnish with fresh cilantro just to add a contrasting color.

It’s… a decent amount of stuff. But it’s a great medium for all veggies and various beans. The only real veggie I keep as a constant is tomato because it adds much needed acidity. In the future I’ll probably add more ginger too as I love that good root.

I make and eat other things but I feel like my bread game has been really strong this week. This is a chocolate sourdough.

Please post pictures and also tell me/us about making homemade pasta. I want to give that a go at some point soon.

cool. Bit unfortunate about the ingredients but yeah, I guess for certain recipes that can’t be helped. Adding this to the list of recipes I’m (definitely) gonna make in the near future.

I just made fresh Brussels sprouts, shiitake mushrooms and almonds coated in olive oil, soy sauce and sea salt. I baked them at 375 for 23 minutes.

Here’s pictures from right before they went into the oven and after serving them out.

Today was another day in the slow cooker for me – creamy chicken and potato soup with a few guests. Intended to be sweet potato but had to improvise… mostly an excuse to stretch out a small box of chicken with a lot of veggies.

(content note: uncooked meat in pic 1 looks a lil gross – don’t worry, I seasoned it later…)

Nothing super complicated, but I made one of my favorite meals, some good ol’ spaghetti and my super special tomato sauce.

I made some very boring (but still very tasty) white bread yesterday and it kind of makes me want to go down the whole sourdough-route again. But I don’t know, if I can commit myself to making bread every odd week or so, despite it being really fun and relaxing.