Whatcha Cooking? [Food Pictures]

Spaghetti! I used to love cooking pasta, but fell way off it when my wife and kiddo were diagnosed celiac. We found some GF rice pasta that we like and so noodles are back on the regular menu once again! I like a quick tomato sauce from simmering pureed tomato with garlic, pepper flakes and some chunks of bacon, but in the summer I’ll use whole cherry tomatoes that I cook until they explode and then toss with the pasta. Tons of fresh basil always goes on top.

5 Likes

Happy Hannukah to all you Jews and Gentiles and inbetweens. Here’s some Chocolate Babka.

First time I’ve ever made a bread of any kind. I actually got the dough great. The crust is a bit darker than I wanted, but otherwise, it’s great and chocolatey and right.

6 Likes

So I just learned this existed yesterday, and decided to try my hand at making one. It’s called a ‘strata’ and essentially is like a frittata + bread pudding. You can customize them any way you wish, and for mine I did diced onions, diced peppers, and turkey sausage, and used a seeded bread to make the croutons.

4 Likes

it’s become a bit of a tradition* with my family to make vegan ramen for Thanksgiving, since we’re often getting together on an “off weekend” to avoid the travel hell and none of us are especially committed to the usual Thanksgiving fare, but a big all day cooking experience is still fun

this year we didn’t get together at all, and for christmas we just did a socially distanced walk, so instead I prepared a Blue apron style ramen kit for my mom to take home and prepare. I’m a big fan of J. Kenji López-Alt’s recipe, and it scales pretty well so I bought myself some Sun noodle kaedama packs to have myself.

This recipe is super good, I don’t bother with the mushroom oil anymore after discovering a prepared mushroom rayu (spicy sesame oil) at my local Japanese groc, but other than that every element is part of a perfect harmonic whole.

* as in we’ve done it twice

6 Likes

We couldn’t have anybody over for Christmas so I decided to go swing for the fences and make a Beef Wellington:

Also, burnt basque cheesecake:

4 Likes

I tried my hand at decorating a cake, not too bad considering my utter lack of manual dexterity!

Unrelatedly, this is a mango chicken curry I made the other day. Tasty, but the fruit ended up being way too soft. Maybe it was too ripe?

10 Likes

Berry Cheesecake

8 Likes

Not usually a cheesecake person but wow

2 Likes

Whoa, that looks amazing

2 Likes

yo, can I have a slice of both of these?

1 Like

Cuban sandwich, homemade Cubano bread.

8 Likes

Great googly moogly

1 Like

I haven’t been cooking much fancy or new stuff but I really like how this turned out (Pork Schnitzel, roast potatoes, mixed green salad)

6 Likes

Wunderbar, comrade

1 Like

I tried a new chili recipe that used brown sugar.

It was maybe too sweet but it actually tasted a lot better the next day.

5 Likes

Cherry Pie:

6 Likes